Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Correct Approach.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Correct Approach.
    Posted: 15 December 2017 at 3:10pm
I feel that tomorrow we have to adopt the correct tactics that suit our game, and not get drawn into a set piece arm wrestle.
We need to speed the game up and have far greater urgency in our defence.

Poite must allow competition at the breakdown, and with Boyd, Cubby and Bierne in our back row, we will get turnovers, and we can go from there.

Last week it was shown that when we were on it, we created a lot of chances.

Passes must stick, and we must be composed in the red zone.

The weather looks to be favourable, so lets show what we are about.

We are the Pro 14 champions and are top of our conference FFS, so lets go out and show our quality.
Page the oracle
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2017 at 3:15pm
Hear hear !!!!!

However let's not be arrogant and over confident, especially if we take an early 2 score lead like last week.

knutsfordlion View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knutsfordlion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2017 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Hear hear !!!!!

However let's not be arrogant and over confident, especially if we take an early 2 score lead like last week.

Totally agree.
I know hindsight is a great thing however those two tries were the worst thin that could have happened.

WP asked for a big start which we got. The guys then fell away mentally and were not on it until the 75th minute.
Page the oracle
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 10:13am
Things will look a lot clearer after today, but we could really do with a tbp to realistically put ourselves back in the mix. Looking at the groups, the second placed teams are going to have more points than in previous years. Think toulon went through with 16 last year! And exeter 17 the previous year. I also think we might be better off with a toulon win today.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 10:35am
RC ToulonToulon3300612
Bath RugbyBath3201249
ScarletsScarlets3102-17
Benetton RugbyBenetton3003-293

We need 5 points today. If we end up on 20 points that will mean we're in at least 2nd and almost certainly in the QF
I'm not going to hurt my head with all the permutations until 7:30 tonight. 

We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 10:37am
Of course if we and Bennetton win all our remaining games after today and we win today we could still win the group!!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 11:13am
I disagree, all our performances of flair last season were off a solid platform where we met the battle head on up front.

If we shy away from the set piece to play an expansive game we will get eaten alive like last week. It will be like going back to what we were like under Nigel Davies.

I really hope we put Beirne in the second row again soon. We are much better as a pack.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I disagree, all our performances of flair last season were off a solid platform where we met the battle head on up front.

If we shy away from the set piece to play an expansive game we will get eaten alive like last week. It will be like going back to what we were like under Nigel Davies.

I really hope we put Beirne in the second row again soon. We are much better as a pack.

Spot on - our pack first and foremost have to re-find that intensity & line speed. Our play needs to be controlled. If we get 50% of the good ball we will win because we have the match winners behind. If we keep giving them easy yards through passive defence we will come 2nd. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 11:33am

Agreed on all the above points. Actually think we are a more cautious team with Dan at 10. He hasn't got the pace or flat passing ability of Patch and when he has tried to play the same way there's sometimes a greater risk of  interceptionsl.  So let's keep it tight until we are sure of a win, and only start taking big risks if we are in a position to go for the bonus point or are looking like losing.
Let's also hope that Ken can have a greater influence on our tactics and the referee's interpretation of the  rules at the breakdown and scrum.
The things that really need emphasis to the team are basic -getting first on tackles completed and body angles right when carrying.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 11:39am
I pretty much agree with all the points made here - Beirne is more useful in the second row, and for the reasons given by Ffidel, Dan is bound to play a more conservative game than Patch... he's a more accurate kicker (so the kick-pass out to the wings will be an option)... not sure about the passing point - he strikes me as being pretty accurate there, but his pace is way down on Patch.

It's been said elsewhere that last week's ref allowed Benetton to seal off at the ruck - if today's refs that correctly, our jackalling should get a lot more success this week.

Not long to go now... come on, Scarlets!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Agreed on all the above points. Actually think we are a more cautious team with Dan at 10. He hasn't got the pace or flat passing ability of Patch and when he has tried to play the same way there's sometimes a greater risk of  interceptionsl.  So let's keep it tight until we are sure of a win, and only start taking big risks if we are in a position to go for the bonus point or are looking like losing.
Let's also hope that Ken can have a greater influence on our tactics and the referee's interpretation of the  rules at the breakdown and scrum.
The things that really need emphasis to the team are basic -getting first on tackles completed and body angles right when carrying.

Yes Ffidel we sometimes, as a team, forget to concentrate on the basics going straight to the flashy stuff. We have to get a strong foothold in the game and build our lead.  A win is vital or its over for this year regardless. 4 tries would be a wonderful bonus but that decision can wait until 50-60 minutes in. I have huge concerns about Ken's captaincy - I want to see him get the pack by the scruff of the neck and demand a reaction to last week's performance. 
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 7:40pm
Two rounds remaining and we are just 1 point behind Bath and Toulon. Bath away becomes such an important fixture now. 
And We Were Singing...
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 7:49pm
We have to win the two games, and was important bath didnt get a bp today.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2017 at 9:07pm
We won this afternoon because we dominated them up front. The correct approach. Cummins looked the business today. With Beirne and Bulbring our pack were formidable. Improved though Benetton are, there are far more formidable sides in this competition- the other two in our group for a start- but our pack is starting to pick up power and workrate. Here's to the rest of the season

(And hope Mr and Mrs Barclay have a lovely new baby)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic