Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlet Signing News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 389>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

How much do we owe the council then? £2.6 million is it?
£2.3m from memory.
We pay interest at above base rate, so it's not a poor investment for them to leave in place as long as we remain solvent.

they won’t call it all in surely? As long as we chip away at it then we are doing our bit
Sponsored Links

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

A genuine British & Irish league system with promotion/relegation would be very attractive to both supporters and broadcasters alike. Two leagues of 12 with top 2 promoted bottom two relegated. Champions would be decided by top 4 play offs. 
Picking up this briefest of posts re a B & I league, I’d miss the trips to Italy and SA and some of the Scottish or Irish ones too.
cc 
There’s a lot more excitement in turning up at an airport and going somewhere out of the ordinary than there is to pounding the miles along a dual carriageway and/or motorway when your only reward might be odour de sewage farm at Sale or the antique stand at Leicester.

Yes, we’ve had some brilliant moments in England - Northampton 2011, Harlequins 2015(?), London Irish this January amongst others.

Yes, many more matches would be in long day trip range and would benefit from the brilliant atmosphere our fans bring when there in even modest numbers, let alone when it’s a big game.

Overall, though, my/our preferences are incidental. What’s most important is making sure that Scarlets can not just survive but thrive too and if that means no rugby connected trips to the land of fine food and Prosecco or to the very different tourist attractions in SA become a thing of the past, so be it.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:47pm

£2.3m from memory.
We pay interest at above base rate, so it's not a poor investment for them to leave in place as long as we remain solvent.

they won’t call it all in surely? As long as we chip away at it then we are doing our bit
Lots of local authorities have been buying shopping centres as a way of getting more return on their reserves. The rental income and (hoped for) capital growth persuaded them to give up ready cash earning next to nothing and tie it up in a much less readily realisable commercial property asset.

It WAS all going swimmingly well until......it wasn’t 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

£2.3m from memory.

Lots of local authorities have been buying shopping centres as a way of getting more return on their reserves. The rental income and (hoped for) capital growth persuaded them to give up ready cash earning next to nothing and tie it up in a much less readily realisable commercial property asset.

It WAS all going swimmingly well until......it wasn’t 
yikes. This virus is really gonna hit the economy isn’t it?
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 3:08pm

£2.3m from memory.

Their annual expenditure last year was £564m and I'm not sure/ can't be bothered to find out whether that includes capital spend.

So our £2m is the equivalent of a takeaway coffee from the average weekly wage. I'm pretty sure it's not very high on the priority list
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 1:06am
Not saying it is but £2.3 million is still a lot of money
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 7:11am

A genuine British & Irish league system with promotion/relegation would be very attractive to both supporters and broadcasters alike. Two leagues of 12 with top 2 promoted bottom two relegated. Champions would be decided by top 4 play offs. 
Picking up this briefest of posts re a B & I league, I’d miss the trips to Italy and SA and some of the Scottish or Irish ones too.
cc 
There’s a lot more excitement in turning up at an airport and going somewhere out of the ordinary than there is to pounding the miles along a dual carriageway and/or motorway when your only reward might be odour de sewage farm at Sale or the antique stand at Leicester.

Yes, we’ve had some brilliant moments in England - Northampton 2011, Harlequins 2015(?), London Irish this January amongst others.

Yes, many more matches would be in long day trip range and would benefit from the brilliant atmosphere our fans bring when there in even modest numbers, let alone when it’s a big game.

Overall, though, my/our preferences are incidental. What’s most important is making sure that Scarlets can not just survive but thrive too and if that means no rugby connected trips to the land of fine food and Prosecco or to the very different tourist attractions in SA become a thing of the past, so be it.

Indeed EO - I too share your feelings about the long weekend trips. I have no doubt that my Twickenham weekend for the Harlequins match didn't rate as highly as our weekend at Lake Como - Bellagio!!!! However they say money talks and it will be screaming out loud come the end of this pandemic & the money men will get excited by the prospect of a British & Irish league. Whether the Unions will be able to get around a table and agree is something totally different. 
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 8:01am

cc 

Indeed EO - I too share your feelings about the long weekend trips. I have no doubt that my Twickenham weekend for the Harlequins match didn't rate as highly as our weekend at Lake Como - Bellagio!!!! However they say money talks and it will be screaming out loud come the end of this pandemic & the money men will get excited by the prospect of a British & Irish league. Whether the Unions will be able to get around a table and agree is something totally different. 

Sounds amazing but your probably the exception to the rule in that your fortunate to have the time/money to go on these trips. For most of us a jaunt up the M4 is the most our finances/wives will allow.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 10:26am
We are pretty fortunate to have the likes of Mr EO's devotion to the Scarlets.

Edited by Wil Chips - 10 May 2020 at 10:26am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 11:18am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

cc 

Sounds amazing but your probably the exception to the rule in that your fortunate to have the time/money to go on these trips. For most of us a jaunt up the M4 is the most our finances/wives will allow.

I take your point totally and I am sure I speak for not only myself but EO as well in that we both appreciate how fortunate we are. I have sneekily got over the wife issue by converting her to be an avid Scarlet fan in her own right ( not bad going considering she is from Kent) so she comes with me on all the trips. 
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 11:23am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

cc 

We must remember there is never a home game for EO as he lives in East Anglia, tremendous  devotion to the Scarlets!
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 1:19pm
Thanks folks. There are plenty from large distances away. 

Agree with the points made.

When you go from having 3 away grounds within an easy day trip to having another 10 or 11 (not that we’d play them all) within a realistic day trip/drive and poss overnight, it’s a hugely desirable outcome.

At the moment, the prospect of this sugar rush is just a possibility, although no longer a pipe dream amongst those on the outside of the Gallagher Premiership.
stradeyscarlet72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stradeyscarlet72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 1:22pm
The premiership, I’m sure is seriously twitching. I’ve no doubt that renewing welsh rivalry in a league format would refreshen British rugby and satisfy us purists 
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 3:33pm
The big 3 irish provinces would bring more to the commercial wise than the regions i would guess
Why View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 6:43pm
Next season will not start on time the earliest I see a proper season at the earliest will be the 2021-2022 season and that is only if a credible vaccine is found. What the game will look like by then I see anyone's guess. 
She asks why i still can't answer. I guess its in the blood.
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Why Why wrote:

Next season will not start on time the earliest I see a proper season at the earliest will be the 2021-2022 season and that is only if a credible vaccine is found. What the game will look like by then I see anyone's guess. 
Who do you think will be vaccinated? Entire population? Mandatory or discretionary?
Imo we will be back playing this year. This virus was again imo around several months before we went into lockdown. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 189190191192193 389>
  Share Topic