Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Bath

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Team for Bath
    Posted: 06 January 2018 at 4:20am
I think there's a lot to be said about getting all your best players on the pitch. The selection of Patch at FB against the dragons may be a sign, this also releases a spot on the bench for McLeod.

So my guess is

Patch
1/2p
Asquith
Scott
Mcnichol
Dan Jones
Gareth Davies

Rob
Ken
Samson
Beirne
Bulbring
Shingler
Barclay
Davies

Elias Wyn Kruger
Cummins Boyde
McLeod
Johnny EVs. Hadleigh

Unlucky ones are
Rawlins Prydie
Aled Steff h
Sponsored Links

ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 4:33am
1/2p
Asquith
Scott
Hadleigh
Mcnichol
Patch
Gareth Davies

Rob
Ken
Samson
Beirne
Bulbring
Shingler
Barclay
Davies

Elias Wyn Kruger
Cummins Boyde
McLeod
Johnny EVs. Hadleigh

I still think he will pick Hadleigh. But I would put:

1/2p
Ioan
Scott
Asquith
Mcnichol
Patch
Gareth Davies
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 8:48am
Haleigh Parkes must feature at centre, though not playing well he is the type of player who will rise to the occasion. He's a hard,skillful New Zealander who puts in 100% whenever he plays. For me he must be trusted to turn his form around. The Bath test is for men, not boys. It will be hard and attritional so Hadleigh is just the type that fits the bill.
Keep the faith
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:22am
After seeing Patch at 15 last night, I'd be tempted to play him there again - but he moved from the Blues because he didn't want to play there, so I'm guessing the coaches will be more conservative and go with:

15 Halfpenny
14 McNicholl
13 Scott
12 Parkes
11 Asquith
10 Patchell
9  Cawdor

8 Barclay
7 Cubby
6 Shingler
5 Bulbring
4 Beirne
3 Kruger
2 Ken
1 Rob

16 Elias
17 Wyn
18 Samson (not had enough rugby to start, IMO)
19 Cummins
20 Boyde
21 Aled
22 Dan
23 Prydie

I can see why some would go for a 6-2 split on the bench, but it's risky if you pick up injuries in the backs... I suppose Cubby can play nearly anywhere, though!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Haleigh Parkes must feature at centre, though not playing well he is the type of player who will rise to the occasion. He's a hard,skillful New Zealander who puts in 100% whenever he plays. For me he must be trusted to turn his form around. The Bath test is for men, not boys. It will be hard and attritional so Hadleigh is just the type that fits the bill.

I tend to agree with you about Hadleigh just wish he was playing better with more clarity. Also I wish Rawlins had had a bit more game time recently to help him force his way in. If I was really pushed my team would be :-

15. Halfpenny
14. McNichol
13. Parkes
12. Scott
11. Asquith
10. Patchell
9. Cawdor
8. Barclay
7. Cubby
6. Aaron
5. Beirne
4. Bulbring
3. Samson
2. Ken
1. Wyn

Bench : 16. Ryan 17. Rob 18. Werne 19. Cummins/Rawlins 20. McLoud 21. Aled 22. Jones 23. Prydie.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:31am
One of the hardest calls for me is Boyde or Macleod on the bench - both have played really well of late, but I can't see both in the 23. It'll be tough on one of them.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

One of the hardest calls for me is Boyde or Macleod on the bench - both have played really well of late, but I can't see both in the 23. It'll be tough on one of them.

You are spot on Aber. My reasoning is that we are going to be up against an abrasive pack of forwards and both Barclay & Shingler are going to be involved in a lot of carrying in traffic. McLoud gets it over Boyde due to his size. Also Lewis would be a certainty in the 23 if he had played more but Cummins will not let us down. I think Bulbring has upped his game this season. Beirne has thrown down a challenge to all other rows that they either accept bench or less or step up. Dai has got more physical and carries more. Jake, Bulbring, Lewis and Cummins are a decent school of locks. Don't know what has happened to Price this season. Hope we are signing another bruiser with our carrying 8 - there I go again dreaming!!!!
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:41am
For me:

15 Halfpenny
14 McNicholl
13 Asquith
12 Scott
11 Parkes
10 Patchell
9 Evans
8 Barclay
7 Cubby
6 Shingler
5 Beirne
4 Cummins
3 Samson
2 Ken
1 Rob

16 Elias
17 Wyn
18 Kruger
19 Rawlins
20 Macleod
21 Cawdor
22 Dan
23 Steff H
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:43am
On the subject of unlucky missing out I would include Steff Hughes in that bracket. There is a lot to be said for having a player in the middle of the park who makes the correct calls 95% of the time, makes his tackles and is vocal and intelligent. He may not make the spectacular break but he is neat and tidy. 
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

On the subject of unlucky missing out I would include Steff Hughes in that bracket. There is a lot to be said for having a player in the middle of the park who makes the correct calls 95% of the time, makes his tackles and is vocal and intelligent. He may not make the spectacular break but he is neat and tidy. 

I agree about Hughes - a very intelligent player - a pity he's not a few kilos heavier, or a tad faster.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 10:22am
Yes Aber if he had both Foxy would have some serious competition for the 13 jersey. I'm sure they are working on both. Apparently he is quite a bit quicker this season having been on a special training regime designed to add bulk and pace in the off season. 
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 10:41am
He's horrendous bad luck with injuries over the past 18 months.

Great to see him back.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 10:48am
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

I think there's a lot to be said about getting all your best players on the pitch. The selection of Patch at FB against the dragons may be a sign, this also releases a spot on the bench for McLeod.

So my guess is

Patch
1/2p
Asquith
Scott
Mcnichol
Dan Jones
Gareth Davies

Rob
Ken
Samson
Beirne
Bulbring
Shingler
Barclay
Davies

Elias Wyn Kruger
Cummins Boyde
McLeod
Johnny EVs. Hadleigh

Unlucky ones are
Rawlins Prydie
Aled Steff h
this would be my 23 also
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 10:58am
Aled instead of Evans as sub scrum half. He's big and strong and better all-round than Evans. Johnny is ideal for a free loose attacking game. We won't see enough ball against Bath I'm afraid to employ his skills.
Keep the faith
Mugwuffin View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mugwuffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I'd go with Boyde for this one. I think he's a year or so further down the line in terms of development. Boyde has a low error count and has better awareness and passing skills at the moment.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2018 at 12:53pm
Patch only played 15 last night due to back 3 options being decimated - he hit the line at pace, found time & support to off-load, kicked well and was even better at controlling from 10 later in the game.

Great to know that he can do more than a good job there, but as soon as Pence & Johnny are back in place, and in tougher fixtures, Patch will be back to outside half.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic