Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fitness tests for 1/2p and Jonny Mac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitness tests for 1/2p and Jonny Mac
    Posted: 09 January 2018 at 7:57pm
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 8:44pm
If we are without either of them we will really struggle. Without Steff we are going to be heavily reliant on McNicholl to create try scoring opportunities and without Halfpenny we may not win the kicking duel with Priestland. Both are vitally important players to this team for different reasons, especially as we are already minus Ball (international), Foxy (lions man of the series) to injury and Steff to suspension.
I hope Asquith is fit for us, as he offers some of the creativity that Steff does and is comfortable slotting in at first receiver if our 10 is dragged out of position.
It’s a good job that the coaches have managed to build a squad of serious depth. Let’s face it, most regions would love to have the luxury of selecting a player equally adept at fullback or flyhalf in Patchell, or a players who is equally comfortable at fullback or wing in McNicholl and Halfpenny.
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 8:53pm
Losing them would be a loss, IMO, but I think we have enough strength in depth and quality in our squad to deal with their absences.
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 10:28pm
Not sure how they will re configure the back 3 if they are both out. I presume they will end up asking patchell to go 15 with prydie and asquith/nicholas on the wings.
All this addinng to my nerves this week. Little bit too excited allready and its only tuesday night.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

Not sure how they will re configure the back 3 if they are both out. I presume they will end up asking patchell to go 15 with prydie and asquith/nicholas on the wings.
All this addinng to my nerves this week. Little bit too excited allready and its only tuesday night.

yeah patchell would go 15 prydie one wing and asquith the other is my guess

with dan jones at 10 

The next questions is who benches? steff hughes and nicholas?

That backline may be ok outside a strong pack normally but against watson priest joseph brew etc were pushing our luck

ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
TheKing View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 11:38pm
So I guess we know now why they played Patchell at 15 against the Dragons. That wouldn’t be the end of the world for Bath, but if we lose McNichol on top of Steff already, we are stuffed.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2018 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by TheKing TheKing wrote:

So I guess we know now why they played Patchell at 15 against the Dragons. That wouldn’t be the end of the world for Bath, but if we lose McNichol on top of Steff already, we are stuffed.

cant help feeling we should have brought through a winger or 2 as back ups in the last 2 seasons instead of putting in parkes or asquith to wing..dont get me wrong theyve done well but we needed to develop another top class winger ....tom williams is wasted and we have really brought through nicholas or conbeer yet
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 1:14am
Is be happy with patch at 15 again he did something that's been missing since Sanjay left. Jonny mc is a big loss though and something we can't afford too lose from the wing.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 4:50am
Everyone has to play if they are able, lose Friday and the European season is over
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:15am
Funny how short we are in the backs, whilst it's the opposite in the forwards. Likely that rawlins or cummins, and boyde or macleod will miss out which will be very hard on the two that do because everyone of them has played well recently.

Edited by Matthew Cardey - 10 January 2018 at 8:15am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:37am
Originally posted by Matthew Cardey Matthew Cardey wrote:

Funny how short we are in the backs, whilst it's the opposite in the forwards. Likely that rawlins or cummins, and boyde or macleod will miss out which will be very hard on the two that do because everyone of them has played well recently.

It is rather strange to see scarlets so overloaded with quality forwards and a bit short on the threequarters...Over the last 3 years we Lost north, then liam,(stoddard about 4 or 5 seasons ago too) its hard to replace players like that and theres been several others who didnt quite make it through the academy. Steff and johnny mac are top class though
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 10:31am
IF Halfpenny and McNicholl don't play it will be a huge ask for us to win. We need those two on the pitch and Patchell playing at 10.

But as they say:-

cometh the hour cometh the man
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 12:08pm
If they are not fit i'd go 15. Patch 14.Prydie 13. Parkes 12. Scott 11. Asquith 10. Dan 9. Cawdor.

If they are fit Patch goes to 10. Asquith on bench to come on for Parkes when the game breaks up a bit. First half is likely to be a bit attritional hence Parkes starts. I'd also play Rawlins with the sole job of getting in Priestlands face. He's in 2011 world cup form which makes him one of the best 10's in the world in my opinion.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 12:12pm
I'm not sure if everyone read the BBC article, but I don't think we should give up hope of Jonny playing yet:

"Johnny McNicholl is another back who will be assessed after the captain's run on Thursday.

"We're giving them plenty of time," said Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac.

"We'll see how both those guys [Halfpenny and McNicholl] are after getting a run-out. 

"We'll check to see how they come through in training and hopefully we'll be able to make a call after the captain's run."

1/2p looks to be a less likely starter - he has a pectoral injury.

Let's hope for the best.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 12:20pm
My own choice if all fit would be Asquith & Jonny on the wings. I just think Asquith has that bit of magic we need & the knack of being in the right place etc. As far as Priestland is concerned we need to bring our A pressing defensive game for 80 minutes & put them behind the gain line.

As Patchell is quoted today saying the team felt they didn't fire any shots last time and they are determined to come off the field having emptied their armoury on Friday. Recently Bath have been a little sloppy defensively in midfield and if we press hard it will make them think. Parkes needs to find his pre Autumn International form and run straight and hard not looking to go too wide too soon. If we are to win it is going to take a massive shift from our forwards, concentration & discipline from all 23 for 80 minutes. The reward is well worth it. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2018 at 12:22pm
Hoping a few months of winning wet weather rugby will have steeled our pack for this titantic clash. we need an all court game to get out of this group

Edited by roy munster - 10 January 2018 at 7:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic