Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales' 2018 6 Nations Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2018 at 10:57pm
I read today that Liam was still a possibility for the first match v Scotland. Not sure if he case but .......
Sponsored Links

Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2018 at 11:38pm
A lot of injuries for team Wales, including a number of Lions. Cubby V Barclay contest at the breakdown would be interesting if he's picked.
And We Were Singing...
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 8:28am
George pulling out was purely precautionary because his legs felt tight apparently. Think Liam would re-assess his move if it was made on purely rugby grounds but it does appear that it was more to do with his relationship. Seeing Liam in any shirt other than Scarlet is just wrong.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

George pulling out was purely precautionary because his legs felt tight apparently. Think Liam would re-assess his move if it was made on purely rugby grounds but it does appear that it was more to do with his relationship. Seeing Liam in any shirt other than Scarlet is just wrong.

Sorry, bit lost. Re-assess because it may cost him his Wales place or the increased risk of injury due to being based in England? And this 60 caps in his contract being mentioned - what's that about, some release clause or something?
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Sorry, bit lost. Re-assess because it may cost him his Wales place or the increased risk of injury due to being based in England? And this 60 caps in his contract being mentioned - what's that about, some release clause or something?

Liam is currently on 45 caps. When he renews his contract- if still with Sarries- he will have to have got to 60 caps or he will become caught in Gatlands 60 cap rule. Even if his contract is up for renewal in 2020, its a bit tight if he misses this 6 nations and then has another badly timed injury. But a 2019 renenwal means he is out of the international selection window, particularly for that autumn's world cup. 
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 1:10pm
I'm with you now Ted. Which also means Rhys Webb has likely excluded himself from the World Cup, yes?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/club-rugby/wales-selection-warren-gatlands-law-rhys-webb-60-caps-how-many-2019-rugby-world-cup-a8002946.html

This is unfortunate as I rate Grease Webb very highly indeed. Probably good to put the pressure on players returning to Wales (or at least staying long enough to get 60 caps) but does make moving a pretty big career decision! Quite strong arm tactics from the WRU - I can see their aims but it very tough on players at a certain career stage.

Edited by dr_martinov - 28 January 2018 at 1:20pm
Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2018 at 1:48pm
Rough on Webb, sure.
Worth remembering that the new policy is a significant softening of the previous stance (no more than 3 based outside Wales).
It makes Gatland' s job easier, not harder, and does less to keep players like Biggar and Foxy in Wales.
Rhys seems to bee the only player excluded under the new rules.
Previously Gats could only have picked 3 of Biggar, Faletau, Roberts, Hibbard, Priestland, Sanjay, Charters, Owen Williams...

Edited by Gwyn Morgan - 28 January 2018 at 1:49pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 12:46pm
So not only are Scotland missing however many of their front rowers (think I read 6...) they will now have to do without Richie Gray.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 3:11pm
I think it’s going to be a really good match, this, and the more I get frustrated at the approach of Gats, Howley and the rest of the groovy gang the more I enjoy following Scotland.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

So not only are Scotland missing however many of their front rowers (think I read 6...) they will now have to do without Richie Gray.

It's a bit bizarre, but it looks more and more as if Wales's best chance of winning this will be to give the Scots an old-fashioned stuffing in the forwards (I don't say that'll happen, mind, as I'm not familiar with the quality further down the food chain - but hey are missing a load of front line players in the forwards). That might even be the case v England, though they have more strength in depth... that's England's REALLY big advantage - they have many players who are at or about the same level for most positions; if the Celtic nations lose a couple of starters in the same position, they risk being up poo creek.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

It's a bit bizarre, but it looks more and more as if Wales's best chance of winning this will be to give the Scots an old-fashioned stuffing in the forwards (I don't say that'll happen, mind, as I'm not familiar with the quality further down the food chain - but hey are missing a load of front line players in the forwards). That might even be the case v England, though they have more strength in depth... that's England's REALLY big advantage - they have many players who are at or about the same level for most positions; if the Celtic nations lose a couple of starters in the same position, they risk being up poo creek.

Such eloquence good sir !
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

I read today that Liam was still a possibility for the first match v Scotland. Not sure if he case but .......
yes,sanjay managed to get from the treatment table to the physio on 1 crutch and gats said that should be good enough.Shocked
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Well Aber there is a lot said about Englands strength in depth but I am not quite so sure. You take Cole out from tight head and you don't have much left - especially with Kyle Sinclair now missing. Also Marler is out so Vunipola is left and he was given a torrid time by Arhip. Added to that is the fact that Hartley is probably going to start and they are definitely not the fearsome front 5 of the past. Add in the lack of a genuine 7 when we have about 6 to choose from & the abscence of Billy & Nathan & suddenly this strength in depth is looking a bit overrated especially where it counts up front. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 5:05pm
Another point I would add is that compared to Wales where would Robshaw fit in the pecking order of 6. He would be my 4th choice at best after Warburton, Shingler & Moriarty so back row for the England match should be a real area of superiority for Wales. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 5:18pm
GPR, ----Sinkler Gange, Mullen, are all part of the squad when fit, and of course as you have said Malar missing, that is 4 probs as well as a few promising props injured as well.

If that happened to Wales we'd probably ask for uncontested scrums before the game started!!!!

The only position they are short of is as you say a good 7, otherwise very strong all over the park.

We can only look over and see how strong they are, they can probably put out 2 international sides capable of worrying most nations, and unfortunately Wales would be one of those nations.

What does worry me is that Ireland are fast catching them up, while we pray that everyone is fit, all because of poor man management, we make sure that they are good enough for international rugby, think again, and maybe cap them.

Other international coaches have not got that mentality.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
jeremy windell View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy windell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2018 at 10:24pm
This is the team I think Gatland will put out

Halfpenny
North
Williams S
Williams O
Cuthbert
Anscombe
Davies G
Navidi
Tipuric
Shingler
Davies B