Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales' 2018 6 Nations Squad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

GPR, ----Sinkler Gange, Mullen, are all part of the squad when fit, and of course as you have said Malar missing, that is 4 probs as well as a few promising props injured as well.

If that happened to Wales we'd probably ask for uncontested scrums before the game started!!!!

The only position they are short of is as you say a good 7, otherwise very strong all over the park.

We can only look over and see how strong they are, they can probably put out 2 international sides capable of worrying most nations, and unfortunately Wales would be one of those nations.

What does worry me is that Ireland are fast catching them up, while we pray that everyone is fit, all because of poor man management, we make sure that they are good enough for international rugby, think again, and maybe cap them.

Other international coaches have not got that mentality.

Well Dai38 I can't say I totally agree with you. If we are talking front row then I see our first choice Rob, Ken & Samson stronger than Billy, Hartley & Cole. Our 2nd choice of Wyn, Dee & Francis is as good as Marler, Sarries lad & Synkler. Our 3rd choice of Smith, Baldwin & Brown would look better than Genge, Dunn & Thomas. Overall that goes down 3 levels. Of course with 12 Aviva teams & more than 50 times the playing base then the strength further down should be stronger but but I would fancy a Welsh 2nd string & an Ireland 2nd string to give the English 2nd string a game. 

What I totally agree with you though is the standard of coaching of other countries in this 6 nations to ours. There is plenty of Welsh talent available, on a par with Ireland but they are not part of a system designed to funnel that talent through the regions and onwards. We, as Scarlet fans, are always complaining of how our players' form deteriorates when they have been in camp. That is a totally ludicrous situation. 
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 9:37am
Again Dai38 look at the back row. We are far stronger down 3 levels even when Billy & Nathan Hughes are fit. Take 6 - Warburton, Jenkins & Shingler are all better than Robshaw, Faletau, Moriarty & Navidi are as good if not better than Billy, Hughes & Sam Simmonds. When it comes to 7 we have Cubby, Tipuric, Thomas Young & Ollie Griffiths who would all walk into the England 7 shirt ahead of whoever they choose for the weekend. 

As an aside I read an interesting article recently by Martin Johnson where he compares the strength in depth of his World Cup winning team & Eddie's current crop. He was pretty concerned by how little experience there was behind some of the current stalwarts such as Cole, the whole back row, scrum half, Farrell & full back. He rated Eddie but didn't think this current squad were as good & he didn't seem very confident that they would be good enough come 2019. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 10:14am
I was only comparing overall strength of the players in England, they have at least 2 players in each position that are worthy of international status, except maybe 7, where they compensate by using power players such as Haskell and Underhill, both very good defensive players but offer virtually nothing in attack.

We have a very good first XV, but under that we are struggling, Faletou and Foxy as an example, we have good players, but are they really international status, I wonder.

The coaching team could have helped this by blooding players in meaningful matches.

Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I was only comparing overall strength of the players in England, they have at least 2 players in each position that are worthy of international status, except maybe 7, where they compensate by using power players such as Haskell and Underhill, both very good defensive players but offer virtually nothing in attack.

We have a very good first XV, but under that we are struggling, Faletou and Foxy as an example, we have good players, but are they really international status, I wonder.

The coaching team could have helped this by blooding players in meaningful matches.

I don't really see it that way Dai38. I do agree our coaches could have done a far better job with a great stock of talent in the past 4-5 years. You mention two players we are struggling to replace - they happen to be our only two World class players. Their possible replacements - Moriarty & Scott would make my team ahead of Nathan Hughes & Joseph the 2nd & 1st choice English players in their team.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 10:50am
We'll agree to differ then !!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
scarletabroad View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletabroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:12pm
well done the scarlets boys who are the back bone of team wales, please please, please come through it unscathed
Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets); Josh Adams (Worcester), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Steff Evans (Scarlets); Rhys Patchell (Scarlets), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys capt), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:34pm
well done to the boys...
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:43pm
Out of the first 10 names all are either current Scarlets or former Scarlets- not a bad run!!
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:51pm
7 of team are from the  region or the old county of Dyfed.

Well done all

Edited by LLANDRE - 30 January 2018 at 12:52pm
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by scarletabroad scarletabroad wrote:

well done the scarlets boys who are the back bone of team wales, please please, please come through it unscathed
Wales: Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets); Josh Adams (Worcester), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Steff Evans (Scarlets); Rhys Patchell (Scarlets), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Rob Evans (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Cory Hill (Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys capt), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester).

Replacements: Elliot Dee (Dragons), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Bradley Davies (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Owen Watkin (Ospreys).

Well done, indeed.

Not too many contentious selections - it looks as if the coaches have decided to leave out any players carrying knocks (North and Liam - who would probably have both started if 100% fit)... the only slightly risky selection in those terms is Moriarty, who hasn't played a lot recently as far as I know. I'd have picked Navidi at 8 (he did pretty well there in the AIs), Cubby at 7 and Shingler at 6. Maybe he's convinced the coaches of his fitness in training, though - let's hope so, anyway.

Otherwise, there wasn't much between Hill and Bradley in the second row - Brad is more powerful, but slower and less able to fit in to a fast, open pattern, so I suppose that is the explanation - plus, Hill being the man in possession since the AIs. 

Surprised to hear there was any discussion about the front row (reported on BBC)  - seems to me it was a no-brainer to pick the Scarlets en bloc there, as they're all fit and firing, and used to playing together. Samson seems absolutely over his problems. 

Finally, congratulations to all the Scarlets making their 6N debuts - I think those are Patch, Steff and Hadleigh.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic