Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales side to face England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 5:56pm
I just think Liam would have stood up to the physical pressure that we're under better than Anscombe. Liam so often finds a way to turn the momentum. 
Sponsored Links

surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 6:17pm
ITV disgusting and unprofessional coverage, crashing the Welsh anthem with a cheap and nasty betting advert
Joshua24:15
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 6:42pm
yep disallowed try was the difference plus the nearly try by scott through a great tackle
I dont rate england we started slow we missed just too many top stars in the end, north played well at the end
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 6:51pm
England marginally deserved the win. Better kicking game and 2nd half defence was immense, even though it was offside most of the time. Score should have been 12-10.
Unbelievable covering tackle by Underhill.
Anscombe had a good second half.
Wales lost too much ball in contact.
Joshua24:15
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 6:51pm
Gutted. No shame in that scoreline, but it looked like a try for Anscome to me. I was astonished it wasn’t given. Ultimately England’s carriers and defence took their toll and we couldn’t find a way through. We turned down one penalty and Patch’s narrow miss also cost us.
Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:14pm
Gutted to lose but no complaints, simply lost the ball in contact too many times. The ball was too slippery to play rock and roll offloads, but every time we took contact it was an age to get it back. Jerome pinged England a few times but it was a price worth paying to prevent any Welsh fluency.
Few ifs buts & maybes... Halfpenny to pressurise them with more accurate kicking perhaps, & for his positional acumen. The Anscombe 'try' could have changed things &c but no injustice was done today.
We grew into the game and will have come out of it a stronger & wiser group.
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:15pm
Couldn't hear any Welsh support today
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:15pm
Sad to say but our game improved with Aled and Anscombe in control. Although it wasn't always visible on tv with the English line coming up so fast and without the ball-carriers to smash their  way through a few well placed chips into the space behind them would have worked much better than the easy  high kicks we used to give possession away. Even if they didn't retrieve possession for us the chips would have created some uncertainty in the minds of the English defenders and slowed their defensive line down a little or tired them, for the taking later on. To  our cost the Scarlets have seen that Cawdor and Patch don't play this sort of game very well. I don't know whether you can coach or practice the sort of delicate kicking skill, but if you can teach Samson to flick pass it shouldn't be impossible. I thought it was a bit cruel to take Patch off because of late he has been very effective at 15 where is long legs are better suited to running and huge relieving kicks than the short well-timed tap the ball needs to chip it accurately into space.. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:29pm
Anscombe was outstanding in the second half
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Gwyn Morgan Gwyn Morgan wrote:

Gutted to lose but no complaints, simply lost the ball in contact too many times. The ball was too slippery to play rock and roll offloads, but every time we took contact it was an age to get it back. Jerome pinged England a few times but it was a price worth paying to prevent any Welsh fluency.
Few ifs buts & maybes... Halfpenny to pressurise them with more accurate kicking perhaps, & for his positional acumen. The Anscombe 'try' could have changed things &c but no injustice was done today.
We grew into the game and will have come out of it a stronger & wiser group.
How was no injustice done if a stone cold try was disallowed?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:42pm
poo by is, yes anscombe was shakey at full back but thys was
Terrible today, Gareth way too slow maybe the ball was there and he had to dig but sloppy. Scrum went well and then the subs came on and we didn't get that dominance again. Kicked too much possession away, ford was my motm with the kicking control he gave. Not much too say really just come on Ireland and keep us in it!
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:55pm
Armchair ride for the English halfbacks. Their pack always got them over the gain line and for the most time stopped us behind it. Surprised that Shingler chose to kick ahead after his break, but other than that another huge shift from him.
Keep the faith
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 7:57pm
England were marginally the better team overall, though we made it easy for them for long periods by losing the competition for the high ball, and too many knock ons.

We could still have won it if we'd been given that 'try' (I thought it was OK - hand touched ball, ball was in contact with ground - I thought that was enough these days? No 'downward pressure needed'? Refs please clarify.) In that case, we'd have gone for those penalties instead of kicking to touch - we'd have gone for them anyway if 1/2p had been playing.

Patch a bit unlucky to be subbed, but Anscombe did well at 10 - not so great at 15. Maybe they should have been swapped.

At one stage in the second half, the game broke up a bit and Eddie J looked dead worried - think he went for a toilet break at that point! Pity Scott didn't quite get in at the corner or flick inside to Steff or another supporting player. 

The English will know they were in a game, despite us being without many Lions - 1/2p, Sanjay, Foxy, Biggar, Webb, Warburton, Faletau etc. I'm not saying all of those would have been in the team, but some would, and others on the bench. In those conditions, Biggar's game would have suited better than Patch's, most likely - plus he'd have done better in the aerial combats than the players we had. (Why cross kick to Steff, jumping against Watson? That was daft.)

Ref pretty average - try decision very iffy and lacked consistency at the breakdown, with players diving over the ball and sometimes being penalised, often not. The English midfield were often offside, but I can't recall a kick against them for that.

Considering the lack of experience of many of our players, that was an OK performance, but could have been better.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Gwyn Morgan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gwyn Morgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 8:24pm
Simple. England deserved to win. England won.
A 'stone cold' try would have been awarded. I doubt any fair minded observer would dare call it clear cut.
It is important to remain objective. We shouldn't allow what we want to believe to cloud our judgement.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 8:31pm
Following Gwyn’s point, the team ranked 2nd in the world ought to have done a lot more with their pressure and territory.

By the time you run through what we did, nearly or otherwise, and think just how much better we’ve been in the last 2matches compared to what had gone on too long before, there has been a lot to encourage us.

Looking ahead to the World Cup, our trajectory is a lot more impressive than today’s opposition, imo.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Gwyn Morgan Gwyn Morgan wrote:

Simple. England deserved to win. England won.
A 'stone cold' try would have been awarded. I doubt any fair minded observer would dare call it clear cut.
It is important to remain objective. We shouldn't allow what we want to believe to cloud our judgement.
It was clear cut though. Anscombe got there first and he had downward pressure. Yes England deserved to win but that was a shocking call
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic