Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales side to face England

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 9:05pm
Terrible kicking strategy from Wales and I thought Gareth Davies had a weak game. Slow and too many poor passes. Glad he’s got that on3 out of his system
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
Sponsored Links

Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

poo by is, yes anscombe was shakey at full back but thys was
Terrible today, Gareth way too slow maybe the ball was there and he had to dig but sloppy. Scrum went well and then the subs came on and we didn't get that dominance again. Kicked too much possession away, ford was my motm with the kicking control he gave. Not much too say really just come on Ireland and keep us in it!

In what way was Rhys terrible today?
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2018 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

poo by is, yes anscombe was shakey at full back but thys was
Terrible today, Gareth way too slow maybe the ball was there and he had to dig but sloppy. Scrum went well and then the subs came on and we didn't get that dominance again. Kicked too much possession away, ford was my motm with the kicking control he gave. Not much too say really just come on Ireland and keep us in it!

In what way was Rhys terrible today?

Because he had less time with the ball before being confronted by the opposition.

It’s for you to decide if that’s no enforcement of the offside law, or the faster than Usaun Bolt off the blocks by the defence.

One thing you can never criticise Rhys for is poor attitude or lack of effort.

If you were in a game of poker and betting blind, there are few better than Rhys to stake everything on, provided that doesn’t stop the fun, of course.

Edited by Eastern outpost - 10 February 2018 at 10:45pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 12:29am
Anscombe was outstanding in the second half it must be said.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 7:25am
OK morning after. A more typical 6N game so tense and physical. Ball didn't bounce our way at key times but England deserved to win overall and made key plays. I think we were generally very good defensively and didn't give penalties away, which may well have been the ref, but I do look at both of their tries and wonder a) where our defense was and b) two players couldn't prevent the offload (which was perhaps just a great bit of skill).

I think we simply made too many mistakes and our kicking game wasn't effective. The tackles really took their toll as that is the tiredest I've seen a Wales side in the last 10 for some time! I'll single Navidi out as I thought he was excellent again. Didn't think our backs clicked in that game and we attempted the high ball against Brown and Watson, who are both excellent in this regards, too often. England converted their two chances to tries, we didn't. They win.

Edited by dr_martinov - 11 February 2018 at 7:35am
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 8:44am
It took Wales 20 minutes to get to England's intensity. If Halfpenny played Wales win. I don't mean this as criticism of Anscombe because overall he had a decent game. England gave us 6 kickable penalties. We attempted 3 kicking 2. Of the 3 not attempted and one missed I would put a few quid on Leigh kicking at least 3. 

The first try would not have been scored in my opinion if Leigh had been playing. Against Scotland he marshalled his young wingers superbly. Can anyone tell me why Adams was 15 metres from the left touchline when Watson tipped the ball back in his dual with Rhys? He would not have been there with Leigh at FB. If he had been in position defensively the Farrell kick would not have been made.

England's tactical kicking was far superior to ours but they do not come across to me as potential World Cup winners despite all the rah rah rah of the media, Jones & Woodward. 
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 8:51am
Yes Rhys found it harder yesterday and (due to wet and pretty slow ball and quick english defence) wasn't able to shine as much BUT in no way was he terrible! Anscombe did play very well in 2nd half but, in part that was some great runs from fielding English kicks (so not in the 9-10 part of the role as such) and secondly the forwards managed to get more quick ball in the last 15mins which made life much easier at 10.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 8:56am
We can put the six nations behind us now. The big one is this afternoon out in Treviso.🤗🤗
Keep the faith
cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 8:57am
Yeah no complaints about the result we were second best although not by much.
Awful kicking game from us and too many knock on's.
1/2p would have made a huge difference in that game he'd have fancied the 2/3 penalty kicks.
I was most gutted about brown getting the motm, he's a fab player but an absolute arrogant bell end of a man, a bad loser and an even worse winner.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 9:05am
Brown will never win popularity contests but he gave England what we were missing yesterday - rock solid defence under the high ball with excellent positioning. In those condition Halfpenny would have won us the game. Gatland can however take huge heart from those first two performances - new players have been exposed to this level with some - Hill, Navidi & Shingler all looking as if they really belong. Steff & Parkes are still work in progress but the positives outweigh the negatives. Adams has a lot of defensive fraility so I am not yet convinced.

A word on the step up to International level. Most rugby pundits, myself included, have been extolling the virtues of young Jordan Larmour. He came on in the 2nd half yesterday and was given a very difficult baptism defensively by the small but very quick Italian FB. 
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Anscombe was outstanding in the second half
you would say that.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 11:19am
The Ireland selection is going to be very interesting. With North, Liam & Biggar almost certainly available and Faletau a possibility we are going to find out how serious Gats/Howley are in playing more expansively. Ffidel has been saying for a long time that the Scarlets weakness is in our attacking kicking game.

In bad weather with a rushing defence we need to adapt & keep them guessing with subtle little kicks into the pocket behind 12/13. The same could be said for Wales yesterday. This aspect is a big work on for Rhys. He is undoubtedly the 10 in Wales with the most natural ability/physique etc but he has more to work on. For me the forwards pick themselves for Ireland with Faletau to the bench if fit. If North & Liam have come through ok then they will start with Halfpenny in the back 3 with Steff on the bench. Anscombe has certainly made a case to start in Dublin. My own personal choices would be Rhys to start with Anscombe on the bench. Gatland may well go with Biggar to start which would be a big mistake in my opinion. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 11:55am
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

you would say that.
I say it as I see it. He was outstanding, he got Wales' attacking game going and brought more control to proceedings
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 12:13pm

Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

you would say that.
I say it as I see it. He was outstanding, he got Wales' attacking game going and brought more control to proceedings

He was good in the second half as some of the ferocity went out of England's play. He has seemingly finally got over the injury that he either arrived with or acquired soon after arriving. Yesterday's game put our (Scarlets ) midfield under alot of pressure but they didn't break. The benefits of yesterday may well be seen on Good Friday evening. And I will be content with that.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

We can put the six nations behind us now. The big one is this afternoon out in Treviso.🤗🤗

be careful what you wish for...
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2018 at 3:12pm
I only said it was the big one, and I was proved right. It was too big for us. 😗🙄
Keep the faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic