Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Benetton Match Thread ....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:41am
Rusty is no excuse for poor tacking to be fair, Byron must have had a whole litter of kittens. No idea why we didnt put the chips in behind like we did in the RCC game, they played exactly the same!?  Maybe the way the English teams use the AW to warm up for the next league game is better as we looked a shadow of the team we know we are. Still struggling to understand how their seconds can be better than ours with the great squad we have. Fear for the RDS frankly (and Edinburgh the way they beat Leinster)

Edited by supertaf - 12 February 2018 at 8:41am
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 8:52am
1-15 were awful - there's no other word for it. Beirne had by far his worst game for us. Our forwards never got to grips with the Italian 8 and we therefore struggled to get possession; the little we had we wasted by trying miraculous offloads which were never on. 

Frankly we would have lost that match even if our Welsh backline had been playing because it all starts up front. Dan Jones defensively was a revolving door time and again. He looked as if he didn't want to be there. The coaches have rightly received huge praise for their work this season but now they need to take some flak. That was a badly prepared team full stop. 

If we can't raise our game substantially for the next 3 huge challenges against Irish teams then the unthinkable could happen - we miss out on the play offs and Champions Cup rugby next season - thats how bad we were yesterday. 

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 9:30am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

1-15 were awful - there's no other word for it. Beirne had by far his worst game for us. Our forwards never got to grips with the Italian 8 and we therefore struggled to get possession; the little we had we wasted by trying miraculous offloads which were never on. 

Frankly we would have lost that match even if our Welsh backline had been playing because it all starts up front. Dan Jones defensively was a revolving door time and again. He looked as if he didn't want to be there. The coaches have rightly received huge praise for their work this season but now they need to take some flak. That was a badly prepared team full stop. 

If we can't raise our game substantially for the next 3 huge challenges against Irish teams then the unthinkable could happen - we miss out on the play offs and Champions Cup rugby next season - thats how bad we were yesterday. 

Beirne was outstanding and was the only reason we didn't concede an extra 20 odd points
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 9:30am

Agree. Some think it was just a blip but we have many hard games ahead and if we play anything like yesterday, I cant see where the wins will come from.

Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Beirne was outstanding and was the only reason we didn't concede an extra 20 odd points

No player playing for us yesterday could be described as anywhere near outstanding. By his lofty standards Beirne was poor - missing tackles, losing possession on a number of occasions, throwing miracle passes on more than one occasion - the list goes on - outstanding he sure as hell wasn't!!!!
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 9:57am
Too many people have been carried away with our position in the table. We have completed the easy part of the season and done as well as could have been expected. Our 1st fifteen is capable of giving anyone a game, our second fifteen is obviously not. I don't know what the second squad costs in wages but I would imagine it is similar to Benneton's and well blow the Irish and Scots. Our second string needs some hard nosed experience and dog to mentor the young guns.
Just because we won the Pro 12 last year doesn't mean a got a right to win the Pro 14 this year.
Keep the faith
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:34am
Look, for the last 12-14 months or so we've been very good, quite often excellent and occasionally unplayable. Very rarely have we been poor and when we have we've usually still won. We had a bad day at the office and lost to a team who punched above their weight, playing out of their skins. Well done Benetton, beaten by the better side on the day. I wouldn't have kittens about it.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Beirne was immense head and shoulders above all the other starting Xv Cummins impressed off bench and a great start for 19 year old Corey Baldwin and a good try to boot .

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 10:46am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Look, for the last 12-14 months or so we've been very good, quite often excellent and occasionally unplayable. Very rarely have we been poor and when we have we've usually still won. We had a bad day at the office and lost to a team who punched above their weight, playing out of their skins. Well done Benetton, beaten by the better side on the day. I wouldn't have kittens about it.

I'm certainly not having kittens but hopefully the coaches are!!!! Performances like that against a side missing 14 players is just not acceptable from a professional team featuring the nucleus of the forwards who have been doing well for us all season. A strong pack should guarantee that we get parity of possession & be able to give our half backs the chance to dictate play. We hardly got out of our 22 all game particularly the 2nd half.

Our team have been quick to get a reaction to a poor performance in the past - here's hoping this is the same as the Leinster 2nd string will be far stronger than Benetton. That performance has, in my opinion, cost us the chance of finishing top of the conference. We are now in a battle with Ulster & Edinburgh. 
Captain View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 11:18am
While it was a disappointing result, we were missing a hell of a lot more then them. They were able to call on a lot of international players in their team (12 what they said on TV if my memory is correct) We had 2. Prydie and Ryan E.

I do think will be the Kick up the Arse that the fringe players needed, and lets not forget, Benetton are a much better side than we give them credit for. They should have beaten us at home in the cup.

I read that Cubby was devastated and almost in tears, saying sorry to fans on weekend, and he was only back a few days. 

Lets just say, they will have a rocket this week and I expect a few more will be returned this week from Wales camp for game time.

In the coaching team we trust.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 11:50am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

This!

Our international-weekend team last year was the reason we got into the playoffs so strange that anyone can question now how good they are when actually we are a stronger squad this year than last.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 12:19pm
Last 6N we had Wyn, Cubby, Ryan, Shingler, Steff and Hadleigh. I know Cubby and Ryan got released but they haven't been training. Jonny Mac is almost always poor after a layoff and Dan Jones was dreadful yesterday. Missed a straight up tackle that led to a try. 

Anyway those highlighted players were a hell of an experienced core that has been disrupted this season. It was always going to be very tough for this block of games.

Unfortunately the lack of any points only ratchets up the pressure now
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 12:27pm
What is most disappointing is that it is the same type of team that always gives us a hard time. These teams are big and physical with a well organized blitz defence. Perhaps we went to Italy hoping that Benneton's best would be away on International duty and we could play as we wanted to. But yesterday was  just a wasted opportunity to practice a plan B to deal with this sort of opposition. We know that we haven't got the players to cross the gain-line or even stop the opposition from doing it, so we need another more subtle approach which uses the strength of the opposition (defensive line up very quickly) against it. It won't be wasted if we develop it as we will be able to use it against a number of similar sides, not least of which is our dear neighbour on the dark side.
 More depressing is the fact that more coaches are going to realise our inability to breach this sort of defence and apply it against us. 

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 12:42pm
Sometimes happened that Scarlets lost in Italy or against Benetton, the problem is the tendence to understimate others...we failed it and rightly they win...for sure coaching team talked to the boys and next game we will see a different approach
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 12:44pm
We still desperately need a NWQ bruiser. Someone we can just use to change the tactics temporarily into direct, truck it up 10 man rugby.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Captain Captain wrote:

While it was a disappointing result, we were missing a hell of a lot more then them. They were able to call on a lot of international players in their team (12 what they said on TV if my memory is correct) We had 2. Prydie and Ryan E.

I do think will be the Kick up the Arse that the fringe players needed, and lets not forget, Benetton are a much better side than we give them credit for. They should have beaten us at home in the cup.

I read that Cubby was devastated and almost in tears, saying sorry to fans on weekend, and he was only back a few days. 

Lets just say, they will have a rocket this week and I expect a few more will be returned this week from Wales camp for game time.

In the coaching team we trust.

As far as getting more players released this week I don't think so. As far as I can calculate all remaining players will be in the 23. Cubby & Ryan it is again for me. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic