Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales v Ireland
    Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:06am
Moriarty has a shoulder injury and not playing for Gloucs this weekend.

Navidi to 8, Tips to 7, Cubby to bench?
Joshua24:15
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:22am
I think they are hoping Faletau is back training this week so he may go on the bench as I would be surprised to see him put straight into the starting XV.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 10:43am
Moriarty's withdrawal this weekend is so that he will be fit for Ireland. Looks as though Leigh, Biggar & Faletau will be fit for selection. Faletau is being mentioned as having some gametime with Bath this weekend. Same back row for me with Faletau to the bench. 

Very interesting selections coming at 10 & back 3. 
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 1:05pm
Need Leigh back more than anyone IMO.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 2:06pm
Back 3 crucial against the Irish kicking game has to be happeny and North in...maybe Liam to bench. Faletau to bench if fit. I just hope he keeps patch , he may bring Biggar to bench ahead of anscombe I wouldn't I just wouldn't pick him atm

Edited by roy munster - 14 February 2018 at 2:08pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 2:47pm
With North's height he should be ideal to mark Stockdale but his aerial ability is not renowned. Can see them picking Liam on right with North on the left which would be a bit harsh on Steff.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 2:50pm
Our kicking game is going to have to be much more accurate against Ireland...
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 3:04pm
got a feeling gatland will play safe with selection. bring back liam and north on the wings with halfpenny 15 and biggar at 10. it will be a kicking/aerial game.
falatau onto the bench.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 3:07pm
I don't think he can drop Steff given his stats, 29 carries making 156 yards.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 4:00pm
[QUOTE=turkishrebel] got a feeling gatland will play safe with selection. bring back liam and north on the wings with halfpenny 15 and biggar at 10. it will be a kicking/aerial game.
falatau onto the bench.
[/QUOTe

I have a feeling he may revert to type also. Short term it may well win him the game but what about his stated desire to play the fast offloading game? Patchell at 10 is not the finished article but comparing his 1st 50 minute performance with Anscombe's final 25 minutes when defences are tiring and we are chasing the game is surely over symplifying it. 

He is best equipped to play the game which Gatland says he wants to play. In a weather affected game as last Saturday we need to coach key players about attacking kicking and kicking better than we did. We need to adapt as do the Scarlets in those types of games. An efficient kicking game gives you the opportunity of using loose returns & pressurising the receiver.Unfortunately, whilst Biggar is an effective kick chaser he isn't great at using the turnover ball. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 4:06pm
Ironic that before the six nations there were question on whether halfpenny should even be on the bench.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 8:23pm
I hope that Gatland will pickmthe 23 with his eyes on Japan 2019.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2018 at 11:05pm
If he wants a tight, wet-weather game  Gatland will pick Aled and Anscombe or Biggar. If developing a more open style for the future is more important he will stick with Cawdor and Patch, or at least bring them on from the bench if the game opens up. Ireland are nothing if not great spoilers and it may be better to start with Wales' best tactical kickers.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

If he wants a tight, wet-weather game  Gatland will pick Aled and Anscombe or Biggar. If developing a more open style for the future is more important he will stick with Cawdor and Patch, or at least bring them on from the bench if the game opens up. Ireland are nothing if not great spoilers and it may be better to start with Wales' best tactical kickers.

Are our tactical kickers as good as theirs - I think not. Are we going to beat Ireland by out Irelanding them - again I think not. So we need a totally different game plan based on how the Scarlets routed the Irish provinces in last seasons run in. This plan needs to be refined to improve our tactical kicking both in attack & defence & our aerial defence needs to be better. Surely we can improve Patchell's kicking decision making & Leigh will improve the FB position. Then we have to select two wingers who are decent under the high ball. Ireland will probably select Stockdale at 11 & Earls at 14. Tow from North, Steff & Liam should be able to cope. My own choice would be Liam at 14 with Steff at 11 & George on the bench to cover wing & centre.

Selecting Aled for me with have the Irish dancing with joy. Cawdor's threat around the fringes frightens defences. For him to be a threat though our front 5 have to get parity which they didn't do for long periods of the first 50 minutes against England. No half backs relish slow ball often delivered going backwards. 

The above work ons surely are possible with all the time the coaches have at their disposal. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:29am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Are our tactical kickers as good as theirs - I think not. Are we going to beat Ireland by out Irelanding them - again I think not. So we need a totally different game plan based on how the Scarlets routed the Irish provinces in last seasons run in. This plan needs to be refined to improve our tactical kicking both in attack & defence & our aerial defence needs to be better. Surely we can improve Patchell's kicking decision making & Leigh will improve the FB position. Then we have to select two wingers who are decent under the high ball. Ireland will probably select Stockdale at 11 & Earls at 14. Tow from North, Steff & Liam should be able to cope. My own choice would be Liam at 14 with Steff at 11 & George on the bench to cover wing & centre.

Selecting Aled for me with have the Irish dancing with joy. Cawdor's threat around the fringes frightens defences. For him to be a threat though our front 5 have to get parity which they didn't do for long periods of the first 50 minutes against England. No half backs relish slow ball often delivered going backwards. 

The above work ons surely are possible with all the time the coaches have at their disposal. 
My only slight disagreement with the above is whether it is possible to improve the tactical kicking of the Scarlets half-backs in the time available. We have known about these deficiencies for some time and it was disappointing in the extreme to see them being repeated against both England and Benetton.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2018 at 11:41am

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

My only slight disagreement with the above is whether it is possible to improve the tactical kicking of the Scarlets half-backs in the time available. We have known about these deficiencies for some time and it was disappointing in the extreme to see them being repeated against both England and Benetton.

Your concern Ffidel is very understandable. Cawdor's box kicking is pretty hit and miss but what he brings in other parts is massive. Rhys, on the other hand, has the full box of tricks; with him its the selection of which kick to use. He will only get better at that selection by playing in high intensity games. Why we don't use the dink into the space behind the 12/13 as you have advocated for years is beyond me. Sides use it against us to great effect. 

I admire the Scarlets insistence on ball in hand whenever possible but Sunday's game was crying out for someone to relieve the pressure we were constantly under. Rugby is such a different game when your front 5 get you on the front foot even when it is only just as in the England game. A big nasty South African 4 & a hard carrying Maori stepping 8 would have done us a lot of good on Sunday!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic