Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales v Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 4:05pm
Ill need to rewatch this one to scrutinise exactly where it went pearshaped...My first impression is we struggled at the breakdown. Yet again cubby could be a key man in that area. second row is a weakness, awj is a trojan horse but hes got a lot of miles on his clock, hill was quiet, bradley showed up far more. Did we discard charters too soon and why was seb davies discarded? back row moriarty totally anonymous again, gatland and the regions have failed badly to develop some 8's. For this game hed have been better off navidi 8, tipuric or cubby 7 and faletau on the bench. Front row lost a few crucial scrums. Biggar at 10 didnt work, he hasnt played for months, if you want to actually evolve to a  faster game either he needs to stand flatter and attack far far more or hes toast. scott missed a 2 on 1 at one stage. steff was dangerous, liam anonymous , should have started north who has more game time and looked good again. Hapenny went pretty well.

as a collective unit ireland were tighter neater more patient. the way they play keep ball is impressive and effective. individually I think were better in the backs, but not at 10 crucially. Up front they have a better second row and probably edge the back row on this showing
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Sponsored Links

Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 4:14pm
Lee made 13 tackles yesterdayThumbs Up
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Ill need to rewatch this one to scrutinise exactly where it went pearshaped...My first impression is we struggled at the breakdown. Yet again cubby could be a key man in that area. second row is a weakness, awj is a trojan horse but hes got a lot of miles on his clock, hill was quiet, bradley showed up far more. Did we discard charters too soon and why was seb davies discarded? back row moriarty totally anonymous again, gatland and the regions have failed badly to develop some 8's. For this game hed have been better off navidi 8, tipuric or cubby 7 and faletau on the bench. Front row lost a few crucial scrums. Biggar at 10 didnt work, he hasnt played for months, if you want to actually evolve to a  faster game either he needs to stand flatter and attack far far more or hes toast. scott missed a 2 on 1 at one stage. steff was dangerous, liam anonymous , should have started north who has more game time and looked good again. Hapenny went pretty well.

as a collective unit ireland were tighter neater more patient. the way they play keep ball is impressive and effective. individually I think were better in the backs, but not at 10 crucially. Up front they have a better second row and probably edge the back row on this showing

It seemed to me that we gave away a couple of penalties at the breakdown, and then simply didn't compete - the plan being to let them have the ball, and tackle. Even though the Wales defence is good, it's not possible to sustain that indefinitely, as we saw. Cubby could have made a difference, especially with a more sympathetic ref than Ian Davies!

As for AWJ, I don't ever remember seeing so little of him in a game.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 5:11pm
gatland has failed on a biblical scale to develop talent properly in the last few years with too few new caps and taking the Lions for a second time should have been stopped by the wru. That was pure greed on his part.
Cofi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cofi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

I am not a great fan of Biggar but you cannot judge a 10 on that showing by the Welsh forwards. We were totally outfought from the start. Rob Evans will be hoping that Wyn's injury keeps him out for the next game otherwise he is gone. Bradley & Wyn to come in for me if fit.

What is it with Biggar and arguing with officials. He gets on my nerves so what refs make of him I don't know. Liam looks a shadow of the player he was with us. He was totally clueless. 

Is there any news on Wyn Jones? Was it his hamstring?
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2018 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Where did you get that from?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/warren-gatland-ireland-v-wales-14333191

Q: A quick word on Gareth Davies and how he’s stepping into Rhys Webb’s shoes?

WG: He’s improving all the time as a nine.

Our nines in the squad know that they’re not fit enough at the moment for the style we want to play.

They’re working hard on that aspect of the game.

< ="converse-re cre-bottom" width="100%" height="0" sand="allow-s allow-same-origin allow-popups allow-popups-to-escape-sand" border="0" ="https://get.convrse.media/?=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.walesonline.co.uk%2Fs%2Frugby%2Frugby-news%2Fwarren-gatland-ireland-v-wales-14333191&cre=bottom&cip=57&tags=%5B%22Six%20Nations%22%2C%22Warren%20Gatland%22%2C%22Wales%20Rugby%20Team%22%5D&section=s" style="-: initial; -: initial; -size: initial; -repeat: initial; -attachment: initial; -origin: initial; -clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; font-size: 16px; margin: 0px; outline: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: line; color: rgb20, 20, 20; font-family: " Sans", sans-serif; : left;">

He’s definitely improving all the time. He’s a real running threat and he’s a player that’s going to score a lot of tries.

We’re just continuing to work on getting him to the break down quickly and getting the ball away, while also being a running threat around the breakdown.

RECIEVED LOUD AND CLEAR.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 10:00am
I hope Wyn is ok because I would start him next game. Gatland has stated that he wants to give some young players the chance to see if they are up to International standard. I would select as follows :-

15. Amos 14. North 13. Scott 12. Owen Watkin 11. Steff 10. Patchell 9. Cawdor 
1. Wyn 2 Elliot 3. Samson 4. AWJ 5. Seb 6. Aaron 7. Cubby. 8. Taulupe.

Bench  16. Elias 17. Smith 18. Brown 19. Bradley 20. Navidi 21. Aled 22. Anscombe 23. Liam
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 10:11am

I hope Wyn is ok because I would start him next game. Gatland has stated that he wants to give some young players the chance to see if they are up to International standard. I would select as follows :-

Bench  16. Elias 17. Smith 18. Brown 19. Bradley 20. Navidi 21. Aled 22. Anscombe 23. Liam

I'll drink to that selection.
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

I'll drink to that selection.
I don't think they'll go for Patch as the sole place kicker if he plays.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 1:44pm

Yeah like that team a lot

Edited by roy munster - 26 February 2018 at 1:46pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 1:53pm
I can't see him dropping Tipuric from the match say 23 so I would suggest he will start with Tipuric & maybe have Morriarty on the bench.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 2:05pm
Gatland has nothing to lose against Italy. Lets be honest he could pick any selection for the match and surely not lose!!!! If he doesn't start some of the younger guys when is he going to find out - next November!!!! Our breakdown ability is a problem - Tipuric is not the answer, Cubby is. I also think Rob Evans is under serious threat from Wyn as Wyn is far more of a threat at the breakdown whilst still being a very good set piece operator. 

If we have to rely on kicking points against Italy we may as well give up. Both Scotland & Ireland  won despite not having Halfpenny on the weekend. I am not advocating retaining the same selections for the French match but lets give some fringe lads a chance. Remember Navidi & Shingler were fringe this time last year.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2018 at 7:40pm

Gatland has nothing to lose against Italy. Lets be honest he could pick any selection for the match and surely not lose!!!! If he doesn't start some of the younger guys when is he going to find out - next November!!!! Our breakdown ability is a problem - Tipuric is not the answer, Cubby is. I also think Rob Evans is under serious threat from Wyn as Wyn is far more of a threat at the breakdown whilst still being a very good set piece operator. 

If we have to rely on kicking points against Italy we may as well give up. Both Scotland & Ireland  won despite not having Halfpenny on the weekend. I am not advocating retaining the same selections for the French match but lets give some fringe lads a chance. Remember Navidi & Shingler were fringe this time last year.

I agree with pretty much all of this, except I don't like to assume the win, even if Italy have been poor so far this 6N!

If Wales are serious about 'developing their game', surely they need to give Patch another shot, and Cubby a run. Maybe some of the Scarlets front row are under threat, as they didn't perform as well as they can v Ireland.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 12:51pm
Sorry to be late to this but here's my take

1) did biggar player well = no
2) would we have won with someone else at ten = no
3) our forwards got smashed at the breakdown and could make no impact on their scrum either
4) should we play both biggar and halfpenny in the same team? = no
5) changes for next game = dee at hooker, felatua at 8 , tupric or better still cubby at 7, then patchell and north into the back line , for biggar and halfpenny/liam
6) as gwyn jones points out we need another jackler in this team, wyn jones would  have been an option , smith/gethin Jenkins are both v good in this area, rob evans  place is under threat imo

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 1:15pm
Dear Mr Gatland. Can you drop all Scarlets players for the remaining games. Ta.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Sorry to be late to this but here's my take

1) did biggar player well = no
2) would we have won with someone else at ten = no
3) our forwards got smashed at the breakdown and could make no impact on their scrum either
4) should we play both biggar and halfpenny in the same team? = no
5) changes for next game = dee at hooker, felatua at 8 , tupric or better still cubby at 7, then patchell and north into the back line , for biggar and halfpenny/liam
6) as gwyn jones points out we need another jackler in this team, wyn jones would  have been an option , smith/gethin Jenkins are both v good in this area, rob evans  place is under threat imo

My thoughts exactly RR - Wyn is an excellent breakdown player and his injury has come at a bad time for him. I would also consider Bradley starting. If Smith is decent at this area his scrummaging has improved so him to start for me. Rob Evans is fast becoming a front row version of Biggar and he seems to forget his job at times. I think at this point in time Wyn is the No1 loose head in Wales. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic