Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro 14 TV failed deal with BBC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beefs army Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pro 14 TV failed deal with BBC
    Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:04pm
Live coverage of club rugby will not be shown on BBC Two Wales next season after the BBC failed to reach a deal to continue broadcasting the Pro 14 tournament.

Competition organisers are understood to have awarded the UK rights to a pay-TV service, but BBC Wales had hoped to continue broadcasting games in Wales.

It means viewers will no longer be able to watch club games on free-to-air television in English. Negotiations over Welsh language rights are ongoing.

In a statement, BBC Wales said it was disappointed.

"We're proud of our record of covering live Pro 14 rugby across television, radio and online and we offered a significantly increased financial bid in order to safeguard these rights on a free-to-air basis for hundreds of thousands of viewers in Wales, and across the UK," it said.

"We know there will be a real disappointment at this outcome among hundreds of thousands of rugby fans who have enjoyed live free-to-air coverage on the BBC over many years."

The broadcaster said it hoped to be able to continue to offer TV highlights on a Sunday evening and would be seeking discussions with tournament organisers.

Meanwhile, S4C added: "We cannot comment on ongoing commercial negotiations."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43302261

Bill Shankly: "If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win."
Sponsored Links

scarletsmad_87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsmad_87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:16pm
No way! Terrible news. 

Fingers crossed S4C can have coverage. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:22pm
It's not terrible news if:

-There is more money available to the clubs as a result of this tv deal
-There are more people attending domestic welsh rugby matches as it's not on their TVs
-People actually begin to now realise how much BBC Wales were paying compared to their counterparts in Scotland and Ireland.
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:33pm
the future is the web streaming..
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:37pm
I don't know who is in line to broadcast for next season, Sky aren't because Ireland isn't included.  BT Sport maybe.
crj89 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

It's not terrible news if:

-There is more money available to the clubs as a result of this tv deal
-There are more people attending domestic welsh rugby matches as it's not on their TVs
-People actually begin to now realise how much BBC Wales were paying compared to their counterparts in Scotland and Ireland.

My thoughts exactly, I think it's good news, the standard of rugby in the Pro14 is as good as if not better than the other leagues, we just need the broadcasting to match now! Step in the right direction.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:39pm
On the negative side I will now have to wage war against the Mrs about not cancelling the sky subscription on the plus side I will not have to listen to the negative speil from Jiffy and Co.
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:41pm
So who's the pay tv service? Not Sky..... BT? Amazon were mentioned ( in the Rugby paper) as being interested in the English premiereship and the top 14 but their rights don't come available for a few years... so who? On a brighter note, it will give Jiffy more time to concentrate on his chat-show hostingAngry......
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

On the negative side I will now have to wage war against the Mrs about not cancelling the sky subscription on the plus side I will not have to listen to the negative speil from Jiffy and Co.
No Pro 14 on Sky next season, that's already been announced
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:43pm
Wonder if it will be a new channel on Sky & BT, kind of like the old Sentana or whatever they were called.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:43pm
 Do not deserve Pro 14 league coverage, Scrum v did not even mention Fridays massive league game against Leinster they dedicated a lengthy chat to the failure that is the  Dragons and a Wales Womens International pathetic ....
llanelli_boy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llanelli_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:44pm
Premier Sports appear to be the front runners according to reports I have read
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:45pm
BBC's coverage has been abysmal anyway.. perhaps now we can have a more fluid season and more money for the competition. it's been the likes of the BBC that have been holding this competition back.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

No Pro 14 on Sky next season, that's already been announced

So where is it being shown then?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:47pm
Premier Sports is the rumor 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
kcreg View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:48pm
so,posibility of us punters having to fork out more money to watch a pay per view site ? no thank you. I feel for people like my father for example.in his 80's, hardly gets out due to his inability to walk far.loves to watch the rugby on a Friday night.that privilage is to be taken away from him now.
I WAS THERE-LIBERTY STADIUM 11/9/07 & 26/3/16

OSPREYS 9-SCARLETS 14!
OSPEYS 16-SCARLETS 25!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic