Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro 14 TV failed deal with BBC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crj89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

BBC's coverage has been abysmal anyway.. perhaps now we can have a more fluid season and more money for the competition. it's been the likes of the BBC that have been holding this competition back.

Couldn't agree more!
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:49pm
Cant feel sorry for the Beeb in this instance. Their coverage of pro rugby has been shocking for a long time. Jiffy may be in for a shock if he seeks employment elsewhere, he might have to actually do some analysis or preparation for games or shows. He's been blagging it for years. 'Numbers' up.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by kcreg kcreg wrote:

so,posibility of us punters having to fork out more money to watch a pay per view site ? no thank you. I feel for people like my father for example.in his 80's, hardly gets out due to his inability to walk far.loves to watch the rugby on a Friday night.that privilage is to be taken away from him now.

it's not a privilege at all. the BBC have been holding this competition back for years. their programming is shocking, they have zero analysis, you get 5 minutes before the start of a game and then spend the rest of the time talking about the other regions instead of the one that's actually playing...

I for one cannot wait to see the back of the BBC.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 12:53pm
FWIW Premier Sports currently offer a range of sports through their platform for £9.99 a month, from Ice Hockey, to GAA, to lower level Rugby League.

Via the Sky platform the channel costs £9.99 per month, SD or HD.

Through sky it is a 30 day rolling contract.

Edited by Fscarlet - 06 March 2018 at 12:54pm
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:06pm
What about poor Jiffy though and his punditry ? !!! :(
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:12pm
Premier sports have definitely got the coverage I thought? There’s always little boxes you can buy......
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:15pm
With BT now having full rights, from next season, for the European Rugby Champions Cup and Challenge Cup, I won't ever need to have Sky Sports again.
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

With BT now having full rights, from next season, for the European Rugby Champions Cup and Challenge Cup, I won't ever need to have Sky Sports again.

That's exactly what I was about to ask - I thought I'd read somewhere that Sky would no longer be showing the Champions Cup. So as of next season there'll be no Scarlets rugby on Sky Sports? In which case I too will be cancelling it!
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

That's exactly what I was about to ask - I thought I'd read somewhere that Sky would no longer be showing the Champions Cup. So as of next season there'll be no Scarlets rugby on Sky Sports? In which case I too will be cancelling it!

Yep, Now you'll only need:

BT Sports
Premier Sports
+ the broadcaster that picks up BBC Wales' games

what a bargain

Edited by KID A - 06 March 2018 at 1:22pm
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

BT Sports
Premier Sports

what a bargain
I'm assuming that Premier are going to have all games inc. BBC Wales games?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

BT Sports
Premier Sports

what a bargain

I'm assuming that Premier are going to have all games inc. BBC Wales games?

Probably. But it's not confirmed. It could be:

a) on Premier sports
b) on FreeSports which Premier sports own (and is technically free to air)
c) another broadcaster (going by the Pro14 statement) that we don't know about.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:28pm
So does this mean there’s more money slated to come from TV next year, or less?
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

So does this mean there’s more money slated to come from TV next year, or less?
That's the question, without BBC Wales or Sky involved that's £8-9m that the new TV deal will have to make up for before we see an increase in money for the teams.
ExileTom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExileTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:31pm
Whoever is airing our games, I don't think the coverage could be any worse than BBCs. Hopefully the money side adds up too
trinity60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinity60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:36pm
Hopefully BBC NI and Alba have lost their coverage too so we may see some Ulster home games at a different time to their set in stone 7.30pm on a Friday !
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by ExileTom ExileTom wrote:

Whoever is airing our games, I don't think the coverage could be any worse than BBCs. Hopefully the money side adds up too
While the coverage is awful and it's ridiculous that they've still be airing only SD in 2018, one thing it had going for it was that it was at least accessible to people. 

I've long said that as a league we need to get off FTA TV but think it should have been BT or Sky, not Premier Sport just because Setenta suits the Irish viewership, but hey-ho.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic