Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pro 14 TV failed deal with BBC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by trinity60 trinity60 wrote:

Hopefully BBC NI and Alba have lost their coverage too so we may see some Ulster home games at a different time to their set in stone 7.30pm on a Friday !

Here's hoping. But they somehow still manage to have the majority of their European games on Friday night.
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

With BT now having full rights, from next season, for the European Rugby Champions Cup and Challenge Cup, I won't ever need to have Sky Sports again.

That's exactly what I was about to ask - I thought I'd read somewhere that Sky would no longer be showing the Champions Cup. So as of next season there'll be no Scarlets rugby on Sky Sports? In which case I too will be cancelling it!

Yep, Now you'll only need:

BT Sports
Premier Sports
+ the broadcaster that picks up BBC Wales' games

what a bargain

I hope that’s being sarcastic?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

With BT now having full rights, from next season, for the European Rugby Champions Cup and Challenge Cup, I won't ever need to have Sky Sports again.

That's exactly what I was about to ask - I thought I'd read somewhere that Sky would no longer be showing the Champions Cup. So as of next season there'll be no Scarlets rugby on Sky Sports? In which case I too will be cancelling it!

BT Sports
Premier Sports

what a bargain

You'll be alright:

http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/skys-coverage-of-the-pro-14-to-end_topic44059_post971953.html#971953

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 2:04pm

BT Sports
Premier Sports

what a bargain

You'll be alright:

http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/skys-coverage-of-the-pro-14-to-end_topic44059_post971953.html#971953

I think you may have misinterpreted things. 🇮🇪 👍🏻
judith View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 2:17pm
I hope that some Pro 14 matches are shown on free-to-air tv as not everyone can afford pay tv packages. For me personally, as long as the Scarlets are shown on tv (or online) I'm ok. I can't make more than 1 or 2 home match per season and seeing them on tv has been vital (and for many, many others too.)
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 2:28pm
Disappointing but free games couldn't last forever. Picture quality was never great online and - as stated - commentary and summarising pretty poor standard. Have to fork out even more money though.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 2:32pm
They can’t show all games onto one channel on a weekend. They have a packed schedule as it is. My guess is they may show some, or just the Welsh, to compensate for leaving the Beeb, games on their free sister channel ‘Freesports’ (name gives it away)
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 2:35pm
PRO14 have issued a statement:

PRO14 Rugby Statement on Broadcast Tenders

After the successful expansion into South Africa the Guinness PRO14 is continuing to grow in strength with unprecedented interest leading to rising attendances, increased broadcast viewers and an upsurge in social media engagement.

As PRO14 Rugby plans for the exciting seasons ahead, the Championship has overseen a highly-competitive tender process with multiple Pay and Free to Air operators across the UK & Republic of Ireland bidding for the broadcast rights in those territories.

PRO14 Rugby is currently concluding negotiations for these rights ahead of the 2018/19 season and will confirm the final position to partners and supporters once the formal agreements are in place.

As poor as Scrum V Live is, at least I get to watch Welsh rugby in Berkshire every Friday night. Happy if I have to pay a tenner a month to see Scarlets (& other PRO14) games and it nets more money for the league & clubs, happier still if it goes to BT which I can watch on my app & cast onto the telly box. 

More cash and better coverage are the keys - looks like the dreary world of Scrum V may be coming to an end, but a big blow to BBC Wales and the Chum V crew.Ouch

Edited by NobbySosban - 06 March 2018 at 2:49pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 2:38pm
I guess I've been spoilt with it on the BBC/S4C to date but I'm not looking forwards to games being spread out over multiple networks - not paying for loads of other crap I'm not interested in. If they did a pay per view games online (like films on amazon, £4 or something) that could work really well.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 2:48pm
I hope no one tries getting eir sport via vpn and watching it that way.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 3:03pm

The more pressing issue is our games I would have thought. Not the games on Eir sports
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 3:06pm

The more pressing issue is our games I would have thought. Not the games on Eir sports

Oh. Won’t they be showing the games when the Irish teams play the Scarlets at home?
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 3:10pm

Oh. Won’t they be showing the games when the Irish teams play the Scarlets at home?

That's the case now with their language channel isn't it?
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

I guess I've been spoilt with it on the BBC/S4C to date but I'm not looking forwards to games being spread out over multiple networks - not paying for loads of other crap I'm not interested in. If they did a pay per view games online (like films on amazon, £4 or something) that could work really well.

Me neither. RCC Rugby over Sky Sports and BT is a pain; BBC, S4C and Sky Sports at the moment isn't great either but I think a mix of terrestrial and pay-to-view is a decent compromise between accessibility and commercial revenue.

Putting it all behind a paywall is not a good move and if BBC was able to up it's offer, it would be far more desirable than cutting it off from the public. I think this is a dangerous move and we'll need to retain something free-to-air or you risk losing the casual fan from the game (not that they're contributing any revenue).

It's a very fine balance; 90% of the Welsh public would never actually attend a game but can you squeeze more money out from a paywall and is that sustainable or desirable? This isn't a simple issue and this could be a messy one.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Me neither. RCC Rugby over Sky Sports and BT is a pain; BBC, S4C and Sky Sports at the moment isn't great either but I think a mix of terrestrial and pay-to-view is a decent compromise between accessibility and commercial revenue.

Putting it all behind a paywall is not a good move and if BBC was able to up it's offer, it would be far more desirable than cutting it off from the public. I think this is a dangerous move and we'll need to retain something free-to-air or you risk losing the casual fan from the game (not that they're contributing any revenue).

It's a very fine balance; 90% of the Welsh public would never actually attend a game but can you squeeze more money out from a paywall and is that sustainable or desirable? This isn't a simple issue and this could be a messy one.

That's the problem: far less people in total watching but each of them paying more is more profitable. I guess whatever gives the clubs more money is technically best for the pro game, even if this is less people watching/supporting them. Short-term, at least. I do think we've been lucky having "free" club rugby for so long to date so this being taken away was always going to be at risk. Same for many things on the internet over the next few years I suspect - although perhaps we are already paying in other ways.... subliminal advertising, giving away massive amounts of personal information for a company to sell/use etc etc. 

Good news for pubs though!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2018 at 3:38pm
One word. Kodi.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic