Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Leinster (h)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by townboy townboy wrote:

Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Their territorial, tactical and place kicking was so much better than ours in the conditions, that it was a minor miracle we managed a draw. We don't even chase our box kicks well. Thank god for Tadgh Beirne or we would have been slaughtered. We really need a ball carrier that can take the ball at pace when we are near the opposition try line and recycling, and I'm hoping that in these international periods Fonotia can do the same for the backs. I thought Dan Jones could at least supply some decent tactical kicking and convert penalties but he had a stinker today (and against Benetton) and if O'Brien is half decent in these aspects he could easily overtake Dan. 

Don't know if you at the game last night,but the conditions were very poor especially first half when we played into the wind..IMO Leinster kicked poorly cross kicks that never went anywhere and gave us possession back...Pivac said up stairs later he thought we got tactics right in poor conditions,saying Dan kicked intelligently putting the ball long and into space between players,Leinster then giving the ball back to us which is what we wanted...On his place kicking, Dan before last night was the highest Welsh player in the Pro14 with success rate..Thought his conversion off Asqutih try in those conditions was top notch under pressure after missing his last 2 kicks,also showed alot of bottle to slot over the last kick to...Huge defensive effort to from Dan,Steff and Paul in midfield nothing came through the channel..Taking 7 points from Ulster and Leinster is huge for us in this block of games

A good comment. I thought Steff also ran hard with the ball in our 22 giving the space to get the kick away. I thought he had a good game. I felt Dinky’s kicking from hand got better later on as he began to get the right trajectory. Earlier on he was getting caught out by the wind swirling around the south eastern corner of the ground and the ball getting held up in the conditions.
Sponsored Links

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 11:40am
Maybe i watched a different game last night but I thought we were excellent and were unlucky not to get the win with only one first choice player starting against a strong, experienced Leinster side containing numerous internationals and big ticket foreign imports. On another day Tom Williams arm is 3mm closer to the ball and Dinky kicks those 9 points and we win comfortably. Easy to say i know. Leinsters disallowed try was never a try because if it wasn't for the infringement the ball probably goes dead. Their first one was dubious.

Leinster seemed to have a lot of possession and territory especially in the first half, but does this mean they were on top? Our defence was coping with them, and turn overs are hard to come by so yes they huffed and puffed but we looked more dangerous and were repeatedly forcing them to give away penalties when we attacked. 3 of these Dinky missed ending our territory and possession.

All these people harping on about we aren't a wet weather rugby team, our record in poor conditions isn't exactly disasterous. We lost against Bath but that came down to tactical naivity as much as anything else, but apart from that Ospreys (w) with 14 men, Blues (w), Leinster (d), there is probably more that i can't think of at the moment. The notion that a lump of an 8 will change our world is a bit wide of the mark. Last night i didn't see a team short of ball carriers, Beirne and Elias consistently made hard yards, Bulbring, Boyde and McLoed did their bit. Steff Hughes had his best game in a scarlets shirt and continues to improve every week.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:21pm
Jesus 1 ball carrying 8 from God knows where as they don't really exist unless someone has won the euro millions won't make any difference. Thought we played well considering the experience difference between the sides, Dan should have got that second kick over however I find it funny a number saying he was poor but when comments on halfpenny being poor and missing a shed load of kicks it's down to blending in and time to adapt lol! Beirne is a beast should be on top wages with us don't think he'll be anywhere near as good for Munster mind but we'll see. Tom Williams solid at fb, also thought jonny evs had a great game! Not sure on that Leinster try thought Lowe came in from the side myself.
dantheman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dantheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:41pm
In the wet it is far harder to make yards with ball in hand, this puts a premium on the kicking game, not conceding penalties and reducing your own errors and forcing the opposition to make errors to gain territory.

In the first half Leinster had territorial dominance largely because of our errors and poor kicking. We started the second half in the same vain, which coupled with a good kick and some accuracy from Leinster gave them the territory to score.

We then played far better, barely made a handling error, won some big turnovers and kicked better. In a game of two halves I felt from 45 mins onwards we dominated.

Two very different styles of attack on show, we tried to get on the outside when the offer presented itself, Leinster carried tight and hard and used an effective kicking game when they spread it wide. Two week matched teams and I thought draw was a fair result.

As for individuals, Beirne is immense, Macleod was good over the ball and Bulbring worked hard as ever. Elias was by far our best carrier, if we'd put him in better positions when we were close to the try line I think he'd have scored. Cummins needs to get more involved, barely made an impression and Kruger had one of his quieter games with ball in hand. Steff Hughes is improving game by game and Asquith scored an exceptional try in those conditions. Dan Jones had a mixed bag of a game, needs more consistency for me.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by dantheman dantheman wrote:

In the wet it is far harder to make yards with ball in hand, this puts a premium on the kicking game, not conceding penalties and reducing your own errors and forcing the opposition to make errors to gain territory.

In the first half Leinster had territorial dominance largely because of our errors and poor kicking. We started the second half in the same vain, which coupled with a good kick and some accuracy from Leinster gave them the territory to score.

We then played far better, barely made a handling error, won some big turnovers and kicked better. In a game of two halves I felt from 45 mins onwards we dominated.

Two very different styles of attack on show, we tried to get on the outside when the offer presented itself, Leinster carried tight and hard and used an effective kicking game when they spread it wide. Two week matched teams and I thought draw was a fair result.

As for individuals, Beirne is immense, Macleod was good over the ball and Bulbring worked hard as ever. Elias was by far our best carrier, if we'd put him in better positions when we were close to the try line I think he'd have scored. Cummins needs to get more involved, barely made an impression and Kruger had one of his quieter games with ball in hand. Steff Hughes is improving game by game and Asquith scored an exceptional try in those conditions. Dan Jones had a mixed bag of a game, needs more consistency for me.

Very well summed up.
1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:50pm
Agree with above, Dan did have a mixed game but converted a tough conversion and nailed a pressurized kick to draw the game. If I'm honest I was hoping for a losing bonus point at best so a draw and 2 points is a result. Bernie, Elias and Boyde were their usual class, also thought Steff and Asquith had a solid game. Great to give our back three more game time as they'll only improve.
Huge game now against Munster in a week, I wonder if Pivs will throw the boys from the Welsh squad back in or in the bench or even rest them. I'm not sure myself could be a case that we need to gel again as a team before la Rochelle. With that in mind I'd probably play our strongest side. Thoughts???
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:54pm
I would field my full 15 against Munster, as Gareth Jenkins used to say, the best preparation for a big game is a big game, and Munster for a few reasons is a big game.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
solva View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 12:59pm
Can you imagine any of our lot coming back from international duty and saying they don't want to play v Munster? Try keeping them out!
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 1:07pm
Take it on a case by case basis.
Patchell will need to play to get back into the swing of things and get some confidence back.
Gareth Davies and Hadleigh Parkes will have played a lot of rugby and could probably do with a week off to be at their best.
The rest need to be managed individually looking at any niggles etc they have.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 1:13pm
Thought both young wings did well against experienced backs like Lowe. Did like the cameo from varndell. Very vocal great communicator and didn't realise how big he is. Great pick up. Our handling was excellent in very poor conditions. Pack did well against a big 8. Thought Steff led the team well, a no fuss player who doesn't make mistakes he had to truck it up a few times and did well.
Tadgh is an amazing player but thought rest of the back row were superb too. Think that Macleod needs game time at 8 as he has the minerals for that spot and wil boyde is such a powerful guy for a player of his stature. He an Elias made yards all game.
I actually felt confident we would get something out of the game. We are some side now with virtually our 1st so called 15 not available
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Take it on a case by case basis.
Patchell will need to play to get back into the swing of things and get some confidence back.
Gareth Davies and Hadleigh Parkes will have played a lot of rugby and could probably do with a week off to be at their best.
The rest need to be managed individually looking at any niggles etc they have.

Agree.

Of the players we have in the welsh camp, I see us starting Ryan Elias, Cubby, Aled Davies, Rhys Patchell, Scott Williams.
I think we will then see Ken, Rob, Samson, Shingler, Cawdor and Parkes on the bench.

Something like that anyways IMO.
Dafen Boy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafen Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 3:15pm
just hope for no more injuries
sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Who needs Irish officials when you you have those clowns tonight (Nigel excepted). Nigel appeared happy to award the first Scarlets try and didn’t speak to their players or sign for the TMO, only for the TMO to get involved anyway and chalk off the try. He then over-ruled Nigel at the end when Nigel stated that Varndell had not grounded the ball but that the Leinster player had carried the ball back over his try line, he stated that he felt that Varndell had knock3d on and Leinster should have the put in at the scrum.
We normally associate this kind of performance from the TMO with Irish officials, officiating Irish teams and favouring the Irish teams.
On the game itself, I’m happy with a draw, no points lost to Leinster, 2 more points gained on the table and a fairly solid game from a fairly inexperienced scratch team against a very strong Leinster team. Dan was poor tonight but we didn’t have anyone else to play fly half, his kicking out of hand was poor and he missed 3 from 5 at goal. Both centres played well and Asquith took his try really well. Tadgh was just immense again, both with and without the ball. Phil Price had a solid game too, along with MaCloed and Boyde.
Munster up next with our international players back and places in the 1/4 final against La Rochelle up for grabs, should be a great game, can’t wait for it.
Totally agree. Was the TMO that average ex-ponty player and less than average ref who is undoubtedly anti-scarlet? 
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 5:16pm
It was Hennessy.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2018 at 10:48pm
I haven’t read the last few pages but I think one skill that Leinster did far better was kicking at 9. Some 9 kicks were nice and high with some depth . Also at 10 there were and some nice kicks and low grubbed kicks.. We we certainly second place there.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 7:10pm
Interestingly, Leinster gave away 10 penalties, but not a glimmer of a yellow. Some their back row forwards were consistently offside, but not even the threat of a card.
Joshua24:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic