Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets vs La Rochelle thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scarlets vs La Rochelle thread
    Posted: 11 March 2018 at 7:55pm
Less than three weeks now until the biggest home game in years. Thought I’d start a thread for everything concerning it.
First off:
Is Jake going to be fit enough to play a part?
Do La Rochelle have any big injury concerns?
Who takes McNicholl’s place on the wing?
Sponsored Links

Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 9:28pm
No
Good question
Varndell
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 9:39pm
Dont rush him too soon into an intense game
We will beat their 1st team. 
 Halfpenny to the wing with Patch to 15 Dan at 10. seeemples.

Edited by Speedy - 11 March 2018 at 11:08pm
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 9:58pm
No injuries picked up this weekend at both regional and international level, one international game left and then a difficult trip to Munster before La Rochelle.
A sell out crowd for the biggest occasion in the short history of PYS. A win will certainly rank up there with the good old european cup nights at Stradey Park, and wil announce our arrival back at the top table of Europe.
I would consider selecting Varndell on the wing just because of his physicality and experience over some of the talented youngsters, most of the French teams load their teams with physical wingers and I believe that they will be too hot to handle for our youngsters.
trident View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trident Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 10:00pm
Not sure Varndell will be eligible will he? Don't you have to have a minimum 3 month contract to be registered in a European squad?
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 10:05pm
I would be more tempted to go for Tom Williams on the wing.
I’d love to put Parkes on the wing and Scott/Asquith in the centre but Hadleigh is playing too well at 12 at the minute.
cat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 10:43pm
Game can't come quick enough, i managed to bag 3 tickets on saturday morning, after a fruitless 45 minutes trying online i gave up and drove down to PYS (It's literally 10 min's from where i live).
It was surreal no queue outside the ticket office and i was the only person there.
Back to the op's question, can't see jake playing, rochelle will have a full quota to pick from and i'd play halfpenny on the wing.
I'm confident we can win and win well actually. but i've been around long enough to see big european games like this go tit's up on us so i'm taking nothing for granted.
Crowd will play a big part in it, i'm preparing to lose my voice once again lol.

lab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2018 at 10:44pm
i'm buzzing for this game already.
on the wing for me Tom Williams been solid after injuries and plenty of pace or Asquith good defence and good attacking brain
lan ar bar,S10
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 12:29am
Been keeping an eye on LaR these past few weeks, and their form has not been great. I hope it continues a few more weeks.
Scarlets before Wales
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 2:06am
asquith wing 

when will ball be back?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 7:46am
As a matter of interest, La Rochelle have lost their last 4 league games (one at home to Toulon). They have 2 games before coming to us, both at home; next Saturday v Lyon & the Saturday after v Bordeaux-Begles.
They have slipped down the table to 8th at the moment, out of Champions Cup qualification. 
1carmscarletsfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1carmscarletsfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:10am
I'd probably go Halfpenny FB with Steff and Asquith on the wings.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:22am
I'd start with Varndell on the wing, think his experience will be crucial. Can't ignore his reputation for scoring in big games, he has scored 45 tries in 55 European matches.

Edited by Fscarlet - 12 March 2018 at 8:33am
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I'd start with Varndell on the wing, think his experience will be crucial. Can't ignore his reputation for scoring in big games, he has scored 45 tries in 55 European matches.

Is he eligible for Europe?
Keep the faith
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:45am
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Is he eligible for Europe?

According to the article, yes.

Originally posted by EPC Rugby EPC Rugby wrote:

European Rugby Champions Cup quarter-finalists Scarlets have signed Challenge Cup all-time leading try scorer Tom Varndell from Bristol Rugby until the end of the season. The 32-year-old wing joins the Welsh region after season-ending injuries to fellow backs Johnny McNicholl and Tom Prydie.

Scarlets are also without Steff Evans, Leigh Halfpenny and Rhys Patchell for the next fortnight with the trio all on international duty with Wales. Varndell will be available for Scarlets' sold-out Champions Cup quarter-final against Pool 1 winners La Rochelle at Parc y Scarlets on March 30.

He has made four appearances for England and has an outstanding try-scoring record in European Rugby, scoring 45 tries in 55 games. 25 of those have come in the Challenge Cup with Wasps and Bristol Rugby, including five tries in as many matches during last season's campaign. He also became the Aviva Premiership's all-time leading try scorer during the 2016-17 campaign.

http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychampionscup/news/37357.php#.WqY9fufLfcs

PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2018 at 8:56am
Originally posted by 1carmscarletsfan 1carmscarletsfan wrote:

I'd probably go Halfpenny FB with Steff and Asquith on the wings.

I'd go for this too - forgetting though that the combo of Dan Jones at 10 & Patch at 15 saw us turnover both Bath and Toulon. So it's a tough call to switch away from that.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic