Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

U23 Team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

One or two of those may be too old by then anyway. Assuming U23 eans you have to be 22 when the season starts, Javan Sebastian would aready be out - 24 in September this year.

I do like the idea of this league and perhaps the BBC could show this as they have lost the Pro14.

We’ll be able to select a certain number of players over the age of 23.

These will effectively be A teams.

Yes, but as I understand it, it is just those coming back from injury. Apart from the front row, where you might not be pro ready until you are 24-25, I'd like to keep the rest of the team U23. I see no sense in sticking somebody who is 25-26 in the team if they have not yet made it to pro level (front row excluded). 
Scarlets before Wales
Sponsored Links

BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 4:25pm

Originally posted by Mugwuffin Mugwuffin wrote:

One or two of those may be too old by then anyway. Assuming U23 eans you have to be 22 when the season starts, Javan Sebastian would aready be out - 24 in September this year.

I do like the idea of this league and perhaps the BBC could show this as they have lost the Pro14.

We’ll be able to select a certain number of players over the age of 23.

These will effectively be A teams.

Yes, but as I understand it, it is just those coming back from injury. Apart from the front row, where you might not be pro ready until you are 24-25, I'd like to keep the rest of the team U23. I see no sense in sticking somebody who is 25-26 in the team if they have not yet made it to pro level (front row excluded). 

Most forwards mature after 23

Edited by BlackwoodScarlet - 03 April 2018 at 4:26pm
NorthWalianScarlet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorthWalianScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 6:33pm
Josh McCleod is now a full time regular. 

You could add Morgan Williams the winger to that list as well. We have quality coming through. I saw that Billy McBride had uploaded a highlights reel on Twitter recently. Is he off? 

I'd like to see more of Jack Maynard. His defence needs to improve but he has some great skills. 
NorthWalianScarlets
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2018 at 7:12pm
Would young Carwyn be eligible for senior rugby next season?
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 1:34am
Interesting points and yes Im coming around to this idea quickly....Build the depth of top class professional players. I think wasting wru funding at semi pro clubs paying £100s in boot  money is a total waste of space for welsh rugby. the funding to semi pro clubs should only be payable for facilities, transport, youth teams , kits etc not paying pub players a kings ransom
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 2:10am
Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I think he is only 16. 
Scarlets before Wales
Hendre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hendre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 10:17am
It’s disingenuous and a little disrespectful to use the term ‘boot money’ when premiership clubs pay players legally and players pay their income tax in the same way as any other employee. The issue with the premiership is and has always been the huge disparity in wages between the various clubs which doesn’t make for a balanced, competitive league.
You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Zig Ziglar
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

1) Rhys Fawcett
2) Daf Hughes
3) Javan Sebastian (or suitable option)
4) Josh Helps
5) Tom Phillips
6) Shaun Evans
7) Dan Davis
8) Josh MacLeod

9) Dec Smith
10) Ioan Hughes
11) Ioan Nicholas

12) Scott Lloyd
13) Corey Baldwin
14) Ryan Conbeer
15) Tomi Lewis

Thomas Rogers a starter for me
Yes good shout.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 10:41am

Originally posted by Mogwen Mogwen wrote:

I think he is only 16. 
But if he's big enough, get him in there. That's how NZ work isn't it? Based on size not age?
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 10:49am
I like the idea in principle. I do think it should be strictly U23 though.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 10:51am
1) Rhys Fawcett  - Dylan Evan or Phil Price.
2) Daf Hughes - Taylor Davies (no idea if Emyr Phillips is staying, possible player coach there).
3) Javan Sebastian - Simon Gardner and any other young prospects.
4) Tom Price
5) Carwyn Tuipoltu (he will be 17/18 by the time this kicks off). 
6) Tom Phillips - players like Lewis Rawlins can have some game time.
7) Dan Davis - Shaun Evans
8)  Carwyn Tuipolotu an option here as well as Dan Davis, Tom Phillips, plus if game time is required, Macleod and Boyde.

9) Dec Smith - Kieran Hardy
10) Ioan Hughes - Jacob Botica?
11) Ioan Nicholas - Tomi Rogers

12) Scott Lloyd - Steff Hughes
13) Corey Baldwin
14) Ryan Conbeer -  Tom Williams
15) Tomi Lewis - Morgan Williams
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

I like the idea in principle. I do think it should be strictly U23 though.
the odd over 23 should be allowed. for match sharpness etc. pretty much what the system was meant to be.
Similar to football u23 (which replaced reserves). u23 + squad players made available for match fitness etc but these could be limited to 30 - 40 - 60 mins or full game.that would be a coach's call.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 11:30am
Think we need to temper our expectations on Carwyn Tuipolutu.
We wouldn’t expect any other 16/17 year old forward to start for our A Team so why is it different for him because he’s been signed from outside the academy?
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 11:43am
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Think we need to temper our expectations on Carwyn Tuipolutu.
We wouldn’t expect any other 16/17 year old forward to start for our A Team so why is it different for him because he’s been signed from outside the academy?
very true.
but he wont be 16/17 when this kicks in. he will be of age to start in the league just like the rest of the youngsters have. this is for the 2019/20 season isnt it? so he will be 18/19 - the age of which many of our prospects start playing for the semi pro teams currently. so will be involved if good enough. and seeing that he is already doing well at age grade...he is on the right path and we hope we can help him fulfill his potential. this is the purpose of the league. this is the purpose of the shake up. so it is not wrong to assume he will be involved for the u23 team.
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Hendre Hendre wrote:

It’s disingenuous and a little disrespectful to use the term ‘boot money’ when premiership clubs pay players legally and players pay their income tax in the same way as any other employee. The issue with the premiership is and has always been the huge disparity in wages between the various clubs which doesn’t make for a balanced, competitive league.

Ok fair point Ill drop that term at semi pro level, though below that level it is boot money and money down the drain. But still even at premiership level , ok clubs rightly have ambitons, but to have some paying big wages at semi pro, creating huge wage inflation doesnt really do the clubs or welsh rugby any good long term, especially those without benefactors who can barely afford it...Some clubs caught up in a wage war in the semi pro league and below, have ended up spending so much they had to abandon their youth teams. That's not good for welsh rugby long term

Are there more grants available now to those clubs running more youth teams, I read something about this a few years back. That seems a sensible approach to reward those clubs and encourage more clubs to bring in more kids and increase playing numbers in communities. This is where the strength of welsh rugby lies. In the kids coming through, the grass roots clubs right through to the academies and the elite pro game. 

Edited by roy munster - 04 April 2018 at 3:36pm
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2018 at 4:46pm
I , and quite a few others,went down to the Arms Park this afternoon to see Carwyn in the U18 international against Ireland hoping that he would come on from the bench. Unfortunately he looked as if he had developed a slight limp in the warm-up and was one of the few subs who did not make an appearance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic