Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

If we get to Bilbao

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

who picked this place for a European rugby final? it's nuts

no history of rugby there, not a major city with loads of transport links like Madrid or barca

The finals should be in places like London Cardiff Edinburgh Dublin Rome Paris  and rotated every other year

Being pedant, it's not even a city but a Villa Tongue

You've got 2 ferries, one arriving 10 miles away from Bilbao, another some 50 odd miles to the east.
You've got 3 airports (Bilbao, Santander and Biarritz) from 15 minutes to a bit over 1 hour drive away.
Oviedo Airport is a 3 hour drive. So is Madrid. Of course you can always get another flight from Madrid/Barcelona or even Alicante to Bilbao.

Frankly, getting there won't be a problem. Accommodation though, prices are embarrasssingly silly. 

You're being a trifle disingenuous, here.

Ferries don't sail every day, and it's a very long trip (24 or 32h). This doesn't even take into account the drive down to Plymouth or Portsmouth, which from where I am takes 5-6h (I know this because I cross the channel at least twice a year!).

The only direct flight into Bilbao I could find leaves from Southampton - hardly convenient. many of the flights to other airports were equally troublesome, with changes and/or leaving from distant airports, and of course flying in to somewhere other than the local airports still leaves the issue of car hire, drive etc. 

It seems to me that if the Scarlets win the semi, the only sensible option for most people will be a club trip (I'm pretty sure these would be organised) with charter flights into Bilbao or Santander and accommodation some distance from the city, given the absurd hotel prices.

Otherwise, if it comes to it I'm going to travel by my 'usual' ferry (Plymouth to Roscoff) and drive down (10h) with one or two stops on the way. Not ideal, but better and cheaper than the alternatives, IMO anyway.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 12:40pm
Fly to Madrid, train from Madrid to Bilbao, stay in tent. Train Journey is 5hrs but sure a few beers will make it seem a lot shorter. Train is 70 odd euros return.
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 12:42pm
There's no gurantee that we'll get to Bilbao - Leinster are an excellent team IMO.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 12:52pm
I'm sure someone said the club can't run flying club trips something to do with insurance?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by rygbi11 rygbi11 wrote:

There's no gurantee that we'll get to Bilbao - Leinster are an excellent team IMO.

You really need to take some of the positive pills the rest of us are on!!!!! Yes Leinster are a very good team but so were Leinster last season & look what happened. Both Leinster & Munster got to the semis of the Champions Cup last season and neither were a match for us in big one off games. What has changed I hear you ask - yes Leinster are an improved team but so are we. I am confident that if we bring our A game to any match remaining this season we will win it. Complacency & lack of concentration are our biggest enemies. 
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 1:48pm

Sport never has guarantees as I'm sure Munster and Leinster learnt. You still praying we lost so players can have a rest?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Fly to Madrid, train from Madrid to Bilbao, stay in tent. Train Journey is 5hrs but sure a few beers will make it seem a lot shorter. Train is 70 odd euros return.

From where?

I didn't like camping when I was young - now (70 next birthday) there is NO WAY I'll be doing that! Good luck to the youngsters, though...

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

who picked this place for a European rugby final? it's nuts

no history of rugby there, not a major city with loads of transport links like Madrid or barca

The finals should be in places like London Cardiff Edinburgh Dublin Rome Paris  and rotated every other year

Being pedant, it's not even a city but a Villa Tongue

You've got 2 ferries, one arriving 10 miles away from Bilbao, another some 50 odd miles to the east.
You've got 3 airports (Bilbao, Santander and Biarritz) from 15 minutes to a bit over 1 hour drive away.
Oviedo Airport is a 3 hour drive. So is Madrid. Of course you can always get another flight from Madrid/Barcelona or even Alicante to Bilbao.

Frankly, getting there won't be a problem. Accommodation though, prices are embarrasssingly silly. 

You're being a trifle disingenuous, here.

Ferries don't sail every day, and it's a very long trip (24 or 32h). This doesn't even take into account the drive down to Plymouth or Portsmouth, which from where I am takes 5-6h (I know this because I cross the channel at least twice a year!).

The only direct flight into Bilbao I could find leaves from Southampton - hardly convenient. many of the flights to other airports were equally troublesome, with changes and/or leaving from distant airports, and of course flying in to somewhere other than the local airports still leaves the issue of car hire, drive etc. 

It seems to me that if the Scarlets win the semi, the only sensible option for most people will be a club trip (I'm pretty sure these would be organised) with charter flights into Bilbao or Santander and accommodation some distance from the city, given the absurd hotel prices.

Otherwise, if it comes to it I'm going to travel by my 'usual' ferry (Plymouth to Roscoff) and drive down (10h) with one or two stops on the way. Not ideal, but better and cheaper than the alternatives, IMO anyway.

Ride the bike down, Strap the trophy to the bike
Ride home.....Past swansea.

Victory lap around the Parc.Wink
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 3:18pm

Yeap we are gonna need all 15 this time to beat them.LOL
Iwlew View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iwlew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 8:24pm
Typical how the best chance we have in getting to the final of Europe for the 1st time it's in SPAIN!!! LOL
And We Were Singing...
swissscarlets View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swissscarlets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 9:13pm
If we get to the final I think we will all get there no matter how
west is best.
Pembreyexile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pembreyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by swissscarlets swissscarlets wrote:

Very much so
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2018 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Pembreyexile Pembreyexile wrote:

Very much so

Yes, indeed - but it certainly isn't the easiest venue to reach from west Wales!
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Pembreyexile Pembreyexile wrote:

Very much so

It says on google maps it's a 15 hour drive down there, sleep in the car, drive home, easy.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 11:13am
If we get there I may make a holiday out of it. Drive down, get some golf in on the way and then drive home. I have a friend living in San Sebastian, hopefully he can offer me somewhere to stay.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 11:27am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

If we get there I may make a holiday out of it. Drive down, get some golf in on the way and then drive home. I have a friend living in San Sebastian, hopefully he can offer me somewhere to stay.

Now your talking. If you get a chance Seignosse Golf course near Biarritz is fantastic. One of the home courses for Olazabal. Tough course with many narrow, treelined fairways but magnificent. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic