Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Attendance vs local population

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 12:07pm
Interesting figures. yes you can argue about whether the stats are accurate as a lot of our support comes from outside of Llanelli itself, and that the catchment area for Saracens etc is too big, but then lots of supporters for other sides probably travel from outside their catchment areas too, you’ll find lots of Ospreys fans in Pembrokeshire etc.
What these figure to show is the potential of this great club of ours, just imagine the kind of gates we could expect if the local population was on a par with say Newport or Swansea, and if the road links with North and Mid Wales were better, and perhaps kickoff times were more friendly to our travelling supporters.
Next seasons lack of terrestrial tv coverage of the Pro 14 May help us a little again, as fans will have to make the effort to attend the matches at PYS.
Sponsored Links

Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 12:37pm
One thing is for certain is that the Blues are not doing enough. Their ground is situated in the middle of the city centre. I do however believe, if the Blues were playing as wel as us and had as much success as we have done over the past 2 years, I rekon CAP would be sold out every match.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 12:59pm
They are currently playing as well as us, if not better. Today's game in SA will be a good measure.
Keep the faith
Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 1:01pm
Perhaps a poll on here to find out how many SF members are from within Llanelli boundaries or not? -  Mods?

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 1:19pm
Good idea ‘Rover
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

They are currently playing as well as us, if not better. Today's game in SA will be a good measure.

I agree currently, I was on about sustaining it over a course of a couple years not 6 matches here and there.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Scarletrover Scarletrover wrote:

Perhaps a poll on here to find out how many SF members are from within Llanelli boundaries or not? - <span style="white-space:pre">     </span>Mods?

Done.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 11:58am
come on now folks, these stats are an obvious wum by the Cardiff fans to wind up the rest of their region and cause ill feeling

the scarlets and blues are no longer city / town  teams , they are regions and ours  and all of of the welsh sides named population base is a lot bigger than these stats show.

Frankly we should not demean ourselves getting involved in this type of stuff

our region covers all of west wales and that is the way it should be, let the blues keep their infighting garbage to themselves
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

come on now folks, these stats are an obvious wum by the Cardiff fans to wind up the rest of their region and cause ill feeling

the scarlets and blues are no longer city / town  teams , they are regions and ours  and all of of the welsh sides named population base is a lot bigger than these stats show.

our region covers all of west wales and that is the way it should be, let the blues keep their infighting garbage to themselves
Don’t be so daft/cynical. Surely if the Blues were using this to score points they’d put themselves higher than 38th?
If you look at the bottom of the page it says how it was calculated and makes sense to me.
Also on the fact of our average being over 10k. This includes Anglo Welsh games.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Don’t be so daft/cynical. Surely if the Blues were using this to score points they’d put themselves higher than 38th?
If you look at the bottom of the page it says how it was calculated and makes sense to me.
Also on the fact of our average being over 10k. This includes Anglo Welsh games.

well not really, I go and watch the scarlets and I don't live in Llanelli so do they take me off those figures?

I somehow doubt Cardiff fans have people outside the games taking census of where each and every fan comes from and I also doubt they have the post codes of each season ticket holder for all of these sides

Cardiff and Llanelli local team are the rfc, the blues and the scarlets are sides that cover the whole region they represent, Cardiff and Llanelli are part of those regions nothing more nothing less

same applies for places like Belfast, galways and Dublin they are part of the provinces not city sides

maybe they can post the figures for the rfc and I wouldn't argue about the % then
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 4:58pm
Importantly our attendances are increasing nicely this year and I would imagine the 10000 at the Glasgow game was the biggest crowd we've had for non-Welsh opposition in a regular League match
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 5:46pm
Those stats are pretty meaningless really. For a start, the population of Llanelli should at least include the area from Pembrey in the West through to Llanon in the North and Hendy in the East. Welsh Assembly stats give this area a population of 78,300 (for 2007). This area would be more comparable to say the geographical area of Cardiff and gives an attendance percentage of 11.2% for the Scarlets.

I think we should also recognise that we draw large support from across the river Lougher from fans (myself included) who see Llanelli as their 'home town' not Swansea. For instance, it's quicker for people living in Penclawdd and Waunarlwydd to get to The Parc than it is to get to the Liberty. Same for many other villages in the Ospreys region. 

Edited by Rob o'r Bont - 09 April 2018 at 5:46pm
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2018 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by greypower1<strong> greypower1 wrote:

They are currently playing as well as us, if not better.
Today's game in SA will be a good measure.
seriously?Confused
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 3:51pm
Lots of sceptics on here determined to undermine the figures which is odd as it makes our figures worse !
The stats just take the immediate town or city where the club is based. If you don't do that, it's a moving target as every team has supporters from outside their town. In football for example, would Man Utd use Thailand as it's catchment as they have loads of fans there? Its arbitrary but on the whole evens itself out
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
elmo761 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmo761 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 4:10pm
On a related note we were in Cardiff yesterday, and regularly call in to see a friend working in Rugby Heaven in the StDavids shopping centre, as usual his welcoming sentence is “Still no Scarlets shirts in stock Dyl!” So in whilst chatting he goes onto explain that the Blues are going down the Macron route nxt year! And he was amazed as a Valley’s Boy that the sheer amount of Ospreys gear not just jerseys they continue to sell despite their drop in form!! Far more than any other region!

It was a big shame not to see ANY Scarlet branded merchandise at all in the shop. Especially with our current status as far and away the leading Welsh region.
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/Elmo761
globetrotter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote globetrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2018 at 4:25pm
They're bound to sell more O's gear than Scarlets, seeing as they don't stock any Scarlets gear. Or are am I missing something here ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic