Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Premier Sports announced as P14 broadcaster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Turkpower Turkpower wrote:

There's plenty of websites you can watch the games for free.

You can understand some people not wanting to go down that route though.
Sponsored Links

SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by Turkpower Turkpower wrote:

There's plenty of websites you can watch the games for free.

You can understand some people not wanting to go down that route though.

Sometimes you just want to enjoy watching something without worrying about finding a link, the quality or buffering.
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 7:27pm
I have plenty of quality backup links.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I've never had Sky, partly because they pull all sort of stunts like splitting the 'good stuff' across several channels and make you pay for each one - which is ridiculously expensive - but mainly because Murdoch is a sort of Bond villain, interfering in politics and manipulating governments to ensure his companies can increase their profits. (I've always assumed that the Elliot Carver character portrayed by Jonathan Pryce in scenery-chewing mode in 'Tomorrow never dies' was meant as a parody of Murdoch!)

Now, if Premier is offering all pro-14 games for £100 a season, that's something I might well sign up for - does anyone know how it will be 'delivered', though? Set-top box? Streaming? I'll decide, once the technical details become clearer.

Take it you dont use netflix eithet

No - what's that?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Who only likes Pro14? Most people I know are sports junkies. Euro rugby, cricket, league rugby, F1, boxing, UFC, Premier league soccer, NFL etc etc

That means you need sky sports, BT Sports, premier sports and whatever else.

I'm all for the league maximizing their income, and this is good news in the main, but lets not pretend that this is anything other than adding another £10 per month to your tv bill. Which people normally rage about when they receive a letter through the post.

Me, Sosban bach. I’m sure quite a lot of others too. I can honestly say I have no interest whatsoever in other sports. Looks like you’ve got an expensive season ahead.

What a boring life.

People who don’t like sport lead a boring life? Interesting psychological evaluation that.

For once, I'm with SA14 ... there is way too much sport on TV, and if I paid for every subscription channel, I could lie on my recliner and watch it 24/7.

The sport I am REALLY interested in is rugby, and within that Scarlets (and Wales) rugby. I could watch highlights of the Aviva for free, but can rarely be bothered... the same for cricket, unless it's a particularly interesting test. I like Match of the day 2, because you can fast forward through all the boring bits and just watch the goals from the Sunday games, then watch just the goals from Saturday... no need to listen to charisma-free 'analysis' from Shearer, Murphy etc. 

In the meantime, I have developed a taste for the NFL - partly the sport, but mainly the absolutely superb entertainment provided by the commentators, especially Osi Umenyiora, who puts most pundits to shame - hilarious but also very informative. 

My point is - unless the sport is a passion (as Scarlets rugby is for me) there's plenty of other stuff out there free-to-air... the World Snooker championship ATM, for example. You'd need to be daft to pay a small fortune to see a lot of mediocre stuff, when the highlights are often free anyway.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:52pm
A second channel, Premier Sports 2 will be launched this summer to enable 2 PRO14 Rugby games every Friday evening and a further 4 games each Saturday. Our FTA Sports channel FreeSports will also air 1 game from every round.
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 2:54pm

Who only likes Pro14? Most people I know are sports junkies. Euro rugby, cricket, league rugby, F1, boxing, UFC, Premier league soccer, NFL etc etc

I'm all for the league maximizing their income, and this is good news in the main, but lets not pretend that this is anything other than adding another £10 per month to your tv bill. Which people normally rage about when they receive a letter through the post.

Me, Sosban bach. I’m sure quite a lot of others too. I can honestly say I have no interest whatsoever in other sports. Looks like you’ve got an expensive season ahead.

What a boring life.

People who don’t like sport lead a boring life? Interesting psychological evaluation that.

For once, I'm with SA14 ... there is way too much sport on TV, and if I paid for every subscription channel, I could lie on my recliner and watch it 24/7.

The sport I am REALLY interested in is rugby, and within that Scarlets (and Wales) rugby. I could watch highlights of the Aviva for free, but can rarely be bothered... the same for cricket, unless it's a particularly interesting test. I like Match of the day 2, because you can fast forward through all the boring bits and just watch the goals from the Sunday games, then watch just the goals from Saturday... no need to listen to charisma-free 'analysis' from Shearer, Murphy etc. 

In the meantime, I have developed a taste for the NFL - partly the sport, but mainly the absolutely superb entertainment provided by the commentators, especially Osi Umenyiora, who puts most pundits to shame - hilarious but also very informative. 

My point is - unless the sport is a passion (as Scarlets rugby is for me) there's plenty of other stuff out there free-to-air... the World Snooker championship ATM, for example. You'd need to be daft to pay a small fortune to see a lot of mediocre stuff, when the highlights are often free anyway.

My point was that I'll pay the monthly fee as the off season for this channel I don't think will have anything I be interested in so will save the £30 or whatever it is. That's not to say I don't enjoy watching nfl, super rugby, UFC and the occasional prem game.
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:10pm
I'm on Freesat. Got fed up with paying sky after 1 year so use the sky box for the FTA channels. Freesport is NOT available on freesat as yet. Not sure who is screening what regarding European matches, next season could take a bit of planning.
Joshua24:15
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 3:42pm
Channel 4 and I THINK BT are showing European games.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

What a boring life.

My point was that I'll pay the monthly fee as the off season for this channel I don't think will have anything I be interested in so will save the £30 or whatever it is. That's not to say I don't enjoy watching nfl, super rugby, UFC and the occasional prem game.

Yes, very sensible - I wasn't responding to your post, BTW!
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 4:30pm
If you want to split a season ticket 50/50 with a friend, they get it on TV and the other person can watch online, on the app, or link it to the TV.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 6:20pm
I have Freesat, so have become used to watching PRO12/14 on BBC-W, BBC-NI, BBC-Alba & S4C.

I've missed games on Sky, although have watched a few crucial games down my pub.

I also watch occasional Eng Prem and, of course, Champs Cup games through my BT Sport app & Chromecast - as a BT home customer, I think that costs me £5/month, and I get to watch highlights & the excellent (though still v Anglo-centric) Rugby Tonight.

I will be taking out a Premier Sports subscription purely for the full PRO14 coverage at £9.99/month, or even the £11.99 option for extra viewing options (full play-back access, I think) - I know it's a minimum 12 month contract, so it will be fallow during the summer. I just hope that the presenting & commentary teams will pass muster, that there'll be decent preview & highlights packages and that the app gets a bit more sophisticated than it sounds it is at the moment.

But if the viewing experience is all a bit pants, I will mostly be thinking about the extra £0.85 million that each PRO14 team will benefit from each season that makes this arrangement crucial to our ongoing competitiveness.

rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 6:41pm
One game every Pro14 round is on FreeSports which is free and also S4C will still be showing Pro14 games for free hopefully.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

I have Freesat, so have become used to watching PRO12/14 on BBC-W, BBC-NI, BBC-Alba & S4C.

I've missed games on Sky, although have watched a few crucial games down my pub.

I also watch occasional Eng Prem and, of course, Champs Cup games through my BT Sport app & Chromecast - as a BT home customer, I think that costs me £5/month, and I get to watch highlights & the excellent (though still v Anglo-centric) Rugby Tonight.

I will be taking out a Premier Sports subscription purely for the full PRO14 coverage at £9.99/month, or even the £11.99 option for extra viewing options (full play-back access, I think) - I know it's a minimum 12 month contract, so it will be fallow during the summer. I just hope that the presenting & commentary teams will pass muster, that there'll be decent preview & highlights packages and that the app gets a bit more sophisticated than it sounds it is at the moment.

But if the viewing experience is all a bit pants, I will mostly be thinking about the extra £0.85 million that each PRO14 team will benefit from each season that makes this arrangement crucial to our ongoing competitiveness.

All the extra subscription gets is on demand games. Pretty pointless. Not sure what you want from the app and it’s cheaper to pay the £9.99 a month for the rugby season. You can cancel and restart whenever you want.

Edited by SA14 - 02 May 2018 at 7:31pm
BlackwoodScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackwoodScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 7:42pm

Originally posted by BlackwoodScarlet BlackwoodScarlet wrote:

I've never had Sky, partly because they pull all sort of stunts like splitting the 'good stuff' across several channels and make you pay for each one - which is ridiculously expensive - but mainly because Murdoch is a sort of Bond villain, interfering in politics and manipulating governments to ensure his companies can increase their profits. (I've always assumed that the Elliot Carver character portrayed by Jonathan Pryce in scenery-chewing mode in 'Tomorrow never dies' was meant as a parody of Murdoch!)

Now, if Premier is offering all pro-14 games for £100 a season, that's something I might well sign up for - does anyone know how it will be 'delivered', though? Set-top box? Streaming? I'll decide, once the technical details become clearer.

Take it you dont use netflix eithet

No - what's that?

George soros
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 8:15pm

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Now, if Premier is offering all pro-14 games for £100 a season, that's something I might well sign up for - does anyone know how it will be 'delivered', though?Set-top box? Streaming? I'll decide, once the technical details become clearer.

Yes but you'd need either a Sky or Virgin box, not available on BT.
Can live stream through their website and it says you can use devices like Chromecast to stream the channel to your TV.

Thanks for that - I have a Chromecast, so I'll probably live stream using that. 

I need to find out if games will be available through 'catch up', if I can't watch live, though. 

You can watch via your box as minded says. You don’t have to be a sky subscriber. You can also have one multi room.

With premierplayer you can watch online or via the app (to use Chromecast). Premierplayer has seven days catchup. It’s free with Sky but Virgin customers can only use the Anywhere service. Virgin customers can’t access the free channel.

Edited by SA14 - 02 May 2018 at 11:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic