Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The scrum half issue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Llanelliman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 1:47pm
In support of Gareth, I think that his 'charging' at the opposition in attack was a tactic that Pivac wanted him to deploy from the start. The Cheetah's knew how much of a threat Gareth was going to be and was frequently challenged by more than one of the Cheetah's defenders, sucking in the opposition defence very effectively. Had we scored 3 tries before the half hour mark ??? As soon as Gareth went off the opposition defence relented their suffocating defence of the number 9 challenge/position, maximised to great effect by Jonathan Evans who took full advantage of the freedom this relinquished defence created. Entirely tactical by our very astute Coaching Staff. And you can be sure that Glasgow were watching this match; if they weren't already focussing on Gareth Davies as a 'bloody nuisance in attack', they most certainly will be after that match. Creating openings elsewhere. Bring on the Semi Final. As someone else as stated, cranking up and getting momentum at just the right time  . . .

Edited by Llanelliman - 06 May 2018 at 1:53pm
Made in Seaside, Llanelli
Sponsored Links

supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

SHD played well for Edinburgh until he was taken off too. Should be really interesting for next season. I would probably start with Jonny against Glasgow and have Cawdor on the bench.

Although he did get caught in possession on a couple of occasions and had the ball knocked out. Needs to be aware of that.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 8:46pm
3 quality scrum halves in a squad is rare, great for the coaches, and creates a competitive arena. However there is a flip side, as seen with academy products like Rhodri Williams and now Aled Davies, both moving on in search of more regular game time. Being 3rd choice in a 2 berth playing squad is always a challenge.

Cawdor gets some odd commentary at times, I find some of it difficult to comprehend.
I just see a guy who is the highest scoring scrum half in our region’s history (and he is in some top company with that statement). More than 40 tries for the club, he’s also often at the top end or topping the leagues try scoring table..incredible stat for a scrum half.
However a poor kick or an error of any sort and all that is smothered by ridicule, embellished by layers of anecdotal nonsense spouted by armchair exponents of the dark arts of world class scrum half play.

157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 9:12pm

Agree with your comments with regards Cawdor Wil a cracking scrum half who overall been brilliant for us, as you said any wrong option or error on his part he gets harsh critcism on here
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

3 quality scrum halves in a squad is rare, great for the coaches, and creates a competitive arena. However there is a flip side, as seen with academy products like Rhodri Williams and now Aled Davies, both moving on in search of more regular game time. Being 3rd choice in a 2 berth playing squad is always a challenge.

Cawdor gets some odd commentary at times, I find some of it difficult to comprehend.
I just see a guy who is the highest scoring scrum half in our region’s history (and he is in some top company with that statement). More than 40 tries for the club, he’s also often at the top end or topping the leagues try scoring table..incredible stat for a scrum half.
However a poor kick or an error of any sort and all that is smothered by ridicule, embellished by layers of anecdotal nonsense spouted by armchair exponents of the dark arts of world class scrum half play.

Well at least someone is speaking some sense on this subject.
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:10pm
Wil. It's not just a poor kick,but when we are under pressure such as against Leinster in the semi-final, or at home to Bath, a whole succession of poor kicks meant that we were almost permanently under pressure, All his critics are saying is that we should be able to expect an international scrum-half to improve this aspect of his game but so far we have seen no sign of this.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 2:33pm
It wasn't his best game, but I doubt this thread would have started if he'd scored instead of being an inch or two short after one dart... Dan Jones also got knocked back a couple of times when trying for the line, but no-one seems to mention that. Jon Evans did very well indeed when he came on, but Cawdor is such a threat that I don't see the sense in dropping him - really!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 2:53pm
A bit over the top reaction in my opinion, but everyone has the right to give their thoughts. Cawdor is a fine SH and will continue to improve. I am happy he is with us. I do believe SHC will put pressure on him though which is a good thing. Strangely, these past 12 months, whie Gareth has improved, it is due to enhancing what he was already good at - the breaks, the aggression, the speed etc. His pass and box kicking for a SH is pretty poor and I can't fathom why it has not improved.
Scarlets before Wales
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:55am
To play our normal full on attacking style there is no SH in Europe that I would prefer to see than Cawdor. His threat around the fringes with both pace & aggression, his wonderful running support lines. The addition of SHC will add another dimension to our half back play so that we can play a tighter more conservative way when conditions dictate. An inspired signing in my opinion. The awarding of a NDC to Cawdor makes it imperative that we have depth and SHC and Hardy give us that. 
thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:25am
Hidalgo clyne can cover 10 and has a sound kicking game. Has good pace over the first 10 and offers a different option to dan as a back up 10. Could overtake dan at 10 next season if we are picking horses for courses.
s.pimpernel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
A.F.K.A.P.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s.pimpernel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:18am
Originally posted by Llanelliman Llanelliman wrote:

The Cheetah's knew how much of a threat Gareth was going to be and was frequently challenged by more than one of the Cheetah's defenders, sucking in the opposition defence very effectively. 

In soccer terms, Gareth has been "man-marked" in the last 3 games. Is he in form, I`d suggest no but I don`t think any of our players look at their best at the moment. And as far as leaving tries on the pitch goes, Prydie, Dan Jones and Scott all blew try scoring chances.

I`d like to think Pivac has seen the man marking aspect and will come up with a plan that gives him some room or gives the opposition back row something else to think about. Defences are terrified of him and rightly so. He`s had an outstanding season and a couple of mediocre games won`t change that.
In Pivac we trust
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:24am
Originally posted by thommo thommo wrote:

Hidalgo clyne can cover 10 and has a sound kicking game. Has good pace over the first 10 and offers a different option to dan as a back up 10. Could overtake dan at 10 next season if we are picking horses for courses.

SHC has indeed featured at 10 but I don't know how many times/how effective he has been. Much will depend on where he sees himself playing - not many are happy to be considered as utility players apart from Asquith who is well pleased with getting into our top 23. However if he is happy to play 10 all the better. Wherever he features he will improve our kicking game which is nowhere near Champion standard. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:34am
Originally posted by s.pimpernel s.pimpernel wrote:

Originally posted by Llanelliman Llanelliman wrote:

The Cheetah's knew how much of a threat Gareth was going to be and was frequently challenged by more than one of the Cheetah's defenders, sucking in the opposition defence very effectively. 

In soccer terms, Gareth has been "man-marked" in the last 3 games. Is he in form, I`d suggest no but I don`t think any of our players look at their best at the moment. And as far as leaving tries on the pitch goes, Prydie, Dan Jones and Scott all blew try scoring chances.

I`d like to think Pivac has seen the man marking aspect and will come up with a plan that gives him some room or gives the opposition back row something else to think about. Defences are terrified of him and rightly so. He`s had an outstanding season and a couple of mediocre games won`t change that.

Fair summation that - however if he is attracting defenders because he is so explosive & dangerous then it must open up opportunities elsewhere. We have not looked ourselves in recent games but Saturday was a big step in the right direction. A lot is being said about how poor the Cheetahs were but to be fair we didn't let them play. Our best performances in the past 18 months have been when we enter the field of play with a plan to take our game quickly to the opposition and not allow them into the game - Connaght, Ospreys, Leinster & Munster last season & Bath, La Rochelle & Cheetahs this. All these games were almost over by half time with bursts of devastating interplay which our opponents couldn't handle. 

Key to this is getting quick phase ball, spreading it wide to the 15 metre channels & using the footballing abilities of players like Steff, Foxy, Scott, McNichol, Asquith & now hopefully Prydie to create go forward/half breaks relying on inside support runners like the back row, FB & Cawdor. 
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:34am
Gareth is a fine scrum half. If I had to ask for one more thing he could possibly work on, it is the height and length of his box kicks which sometimes seem to me to go to far with not enough height rendering any chase futile, but that is being picky as he has other valuable skills and a killer try scoring instinct. As posters have said no-one is perfect and its good to have him in our team.
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:39am
Sam H-C has just been named in the Scotland squad for their summer tour to the Americas - this time they didn't even wait for him to play his way back into form at the Scarlets, they just knew to pick him.Wink

(Barclay not named in the squad - presumably a summer rest was part of the deal before going to Edinburgh.)

Edited by NobbySosban - 08 May 2018 at 11:43am
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 11:39am
As an aside SHC (& the other Edinburgh scrum half) made the Sky Sports team of the weekend for their displays against Munster...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic