FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for 2018 Summer Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:10am
If I was Adams I would reserve my anger for the totally incompetent members of the WRU who allowed this to happen. I have to say glad as I was to see the back of Roger we have been left with not much better.

The whole structure needs to be replaced by something modern and fit for purpose which this clearly isn't. You only have to look at the way they handled the Rhys Webb saga - can you imagine the IRFU treating Connor Murray in that way? 
Sponsored Links

KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:49am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

It also must be so disappointing for these players especially youngsters like Josh who should  be entitled to assume that  the organisers, the WRU, would have cleared their availability up BEFORE announcing the team. They must be feeling rather flat now and possibly angry with WRU and possibly their clubs. This is a 'lose ..lose' outcome sadly.

I don't see how they can feel angry at their clubs. Only 1 party has organised games when they're not supposed to. That's the WRU.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:39am
It also must be so disappointing for these players especially youngsters like Josh who should  be entitled to assume that  the organisers, the WRU, would have cleared their availability up BEFORE announcing the team. They must be feeling rather flat now and possibly angry with WRU and possibly their clubs. This is a 'lose ..lose' outcome sadly.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Tomas Francis, Luke Charteris and Josh Adams have all been dropped from the tour, as the first game is outside the World Rugby international window and their English clubs won’t release them, despite the fact that the season is already over for all three.

Josh Navidi’s dislocated shoulder means he won’t tour either.

Rhodri Jones (back to tight-head), Ashton Hewitt and Aaron Wainwright have been called up instead.

That's a bit pathetic - a dog in the manger attitude.

I agree with your sentiments Aber.

However for me it's a case of 'That's another fine mess you got us into Ollie' !!

Gatland knew the rules, playing matches outside the window has been an issue for years with the extra AI. We got out of it, but his policy of playing outside the window put us into the 'group of death' at the last RWC. 

Doesn't the man learn ? Why pick these three in the first place. He has in my eyes let these players down.

Absolutely. If you want your best players available, then organise the matches when you are supposed to.

If the English clubs released them for 1 out of the window game it would set a terrible precedent that would allow test rugby (or specifically WRU) to organise even more games outside the window and demand their players for it.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:46am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Tomas Francis, Luke Charteris and Josh Adams have all been dropped from the tour, as the first game is outside the World Rugby international window and their English clubs won’t release them, despite the fact that the season is already over for all three.

Rhodri Jones (back to tight-head), Ashton Hewitt and Aaron Wainwright have been called up instead.

I agree with your sentiments Aber.

However for me it's a case of 'That's another fine mess you got us into Ollie' !!

Gatland knew the rules, playing matches outside the window has been an issue for years with the extra AI. We got out of it, but his policy of playing outside the window put us into the 'group of death' at the last RWC. 

Doesn't the man learn ? Why pick these three in the first place. He has in my eyes let these players down.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:18am
I thought McLoud has been carrying an ankle injury for the past month or so hence his non selection, for the Scarlets.

Edited by Dai38 - 17 May 2018 at 8:19am
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:16am
This has been coming since the WRU announced the money spinning extra game in America & squeezed it in to the schedule outside the official window. Good ammunition for Gatland to beat the English based players with. This boy Wainwright has been impressive in a very poor team but is he better than Josh McLoud? Suppose no point in picking Thomas Young to replace Navidi as he would also be caught by the RFU stance. 

Personally don't have any sympathy with the WRU - whats the point in having a set of rules if they don't count?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 7:26am

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 6:57am

Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:32am
Maybe John the fact Prydie has taken so long to get back in squad after being picked so young is an example of why Gats is no longer pushing players forward too young and too quickly. TBH it generally hasn't worked in the past so it might be best news long run for Evans and Wales. I think it probably is and let Evans have a good off season and come back even better next season, rather than risk him losing his confidence by being exposed by SA or Argentina (if he was exposed by them that is)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 8:12am
That was what I thought GRP, I would like to see Young again but then I would really be happy for McLoud too.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:56am
Thomas Young must be next in line I would have thought as Ollie Griffiths is injured. Outside bet would be Josh McLoud as he can cover all 3 back row spots pretty effectively. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:53am
Navidi a doubt for the summer tour after suffering a suspected shoulder dislocation in the Challenge Cup final win over Gloucester.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by roy munster roy munster wrote:

bbc wales says nothing about the absence of liam williams or hapenny?

Well all the Lions who played most of the tour are being rested. Judging by Liam's poor form he needs to have a good pre-season and learn how to tackle again. His defence this season has been woeful. You really have to score loads of wonder tries to compensate for missing try saving tackles every game. 
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 4:12pm
bbc wales says nothing about the absence of liam williams or hapenny?
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Anscombe is clearly one of Gatland's favourites, and although he is a good dependable 10, it says a lot that the Blues think they play better with Evans at 10. Both players have a range of skills, and are adept at seeing where the space lies in the opposition ranks and using it to attack.  Of the two though, I feel that Evans is the best at getting his backs moving and most likely to make a break himself.

And on a day when Prydie gets himself back into the squad, it is interesting to see how Gatland's policy on picking youth has changed. Jarod Evans is already a very high class flyhalf and should be in the squad. Well done Tom- I hope you get a chance in the summer and really break through next season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic