Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales Squad for 2018 Summer Tour

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:16am
This has been coming since the WRU announced the money spinning extra game in America & squeezed it in to the schedule outside the official window. Good ammunition for Gatland to beat the English based players with. This boy Wainwright has been impressive in a very poor team but is he better than Josh McLoud? Suppose no point in picking Thomas Young to replace Navidi as he would also be caught by the RFU stance. 

Personally don't have any sympathy with the WRU - whats the point in having a set of rules if they don't count?
Sponsored Links

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:18am
I thought McLoud has been carrying an ankle injury for the past month or so hence his non selection, for the Scarlets.

Edited by Dai38 - 17 May 2018 at 8:19am
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 8:46am
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Tomas Francis, Luke Charteris and Josh Adams have all been dropped from the tour, as the first game is outside the World Rugby international window and their English clubs won’t release them, despite the fact that the season is already over for all three.

Josh Navidi’s dislocated shoulder means he won’t tour either.

Rhodri Jones (back to tight-head), Ashton Hewitt and Aaron Wainwright have been called up instead.

That's a bit pathetic - a dog in the manger attitude.

I agree with your sentiments Aber.

However for me it's a case of 'That's another fine mess you got us into Ollie' !!

Gatland knew the rules, playing matches outside the window has been an issue for years with the extra AI. We got out of it, but his policy of playing outside the window put us into the 'group of death' at the last RWC. 

Doesn't the man learn ? Why pick these three in the first place. He has in my eyes let these players down.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Tomas Francis, Luke Charteris and Josh Adams have all been dropped from the tour, as the first game is outside the World Rugby international window and their English clubs won’t release them, despite the fact that the season is already over for all three.

Josh Navidi’s dislocated shoulder means he won’t tour either.

Rhodri Jones (back to tight-head), Ashton Hewitt and Aaron Wainwright have been called up instead.

That's a bit pathetic - a dog in the manger attitude.

I agree with your sentiments Aber.

However for me it's a case of 'That's another fine mess you got us into Ollie' !!

Gatland knew the rules, playing matches outside the window has been an issue for years with the extra AI. We got out of it, but his policy of playing outside the window put us into the 'group of death' at the last RWC. 

Doesn't the man learn ? Why pick these three in the first place. He has in my eyes let these players down.

Absolutely. If you want your best players available, then organise the matches when you are supposed to.

If the English clubs released them for 1 out of the window game it would set a terrible precedent that would allow test rugby (or specifically WRU) to organise even more games outside the window and demand their players for it.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:39am
It also must be so disappointing for these players especially youngsters like Josh who should  be entitled to assume that  the organisers, the WRU, would have cleared their availability up BEFORE announcing the team. They must be feeling rather flat now and possibly angry with WRU and possibly their clubs. This is a 'lose ..lose' outcome sadly.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:49am
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

It also must be so disappointing for these players especially youngsters like Josh who should  be entitled to assume that  the organisers, the WRU, would have cleared their availability up BEFORE announcing the team. They must be feeling rather flat now and possibly angry with WRU and possibly their clubs. This is a 'lose ..lose' outcome sadly.

I don't see how they can feel angry at their clubs. Only 1 party has organised games when they're not supposed to. That's the WRU.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:10am
If I was Adams I would reserve my anger for the totally incompetent members of the WRU who allowed this to happen. I have to say glad as I was to see the back of Roger we have been left with not much better.

The whole structure needs to be replaced by something modern and fit for purpose which this clearly isn't. You only have to look at the way they handled the Rhys Webb saga - can you imagine the IRFU treating Connor Murray in that way? 
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:21am
Comes with the territory of playing outside Wales so not just one party at blame.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:22am
The WRU are not blameless, while the English union are arrogant, maybe their hands are tied, but they could have told the clubs release the players. Two of the three would not have played for weeks, while Francis is really a squad player.

A bit silly in my mind----who comes first---Player-Club-Contract-Unions. Not my order I am not clever enough.

I am not defending anyone, but the whole system needs changing.

Wales had an extra game, and can we argue against it, as the union are getting silly money for a one off game (allegedly), and who benefits then the professional teams--Scarlets being one!!!!

There were no other free dates as England are playing SA on the 9th,16.23 June.

Many will not agree with me but the blame lies with International Board (or whatever it's called), not with individual unions.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

The WRU are not blameless, while the English union are arrogant, maybe their hands are tied, but they could have told the clubs release the players. Two of the three would not have played for weeks, while Francis is really a squad player.

A bit silly in my mind----who comes first---Player-Club-Contract-Unions. Not my order I am not clever enough.

Wales had an extra game, and can we argue against it, as the union are getting silly money for a one off game (allegedly), and who benefits then the professional teams--Scarlets being one!!!!

Many will not agree with me but the blame lies with International Board (or whatever it's called), not with individual unions.

The English Union have zero to do with it. They can't tell the English clubs to do anything.

There is no extra game. Wales are choosing to play a 3rd test before the window instead of the 3rd weekend of the window. Presumably because South Africa weren't available on the 3rd weekend of the window - and Wales wanted to play it in USA to satisfy their shirt manufacturers and maximize income.

I'm all for maximizing income but if you go outside the recommended guidelines, there will be consequences.

The only arrogant Union is WRU for naming players based outside Wales in a test match to be played outside the designated slot.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:28am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

The English Union have zero to do with it. They can't tell the English clubs to do anything.

There is no extra game. Wales are choosing to play a 3rd test before the window instead of the 3rd weekend of the window. Presumably because South Africa weren't available on the 3rd weekend of the window - and Wales wanted to play it in USA to satisfy their shirt manufacturers and maximize income.

I'm all for maximizing income but if you go outside the recommended guidelines, there will be consequences.

The only arrogant Union is WRU for naming players based outside Wales in a test match to be played outside the designated slot.

Yep, they have a 3 test series against England.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:34am
What is the point in having rules to govern a sport when the WRU constantly try to ignore them and when they suffer the consequences bleat on about how unfair it is. They are making the Welsh game look amateur. If you want to, understandably, please your main sponsor in return for some serious dosh then plan it properly and utilise the 3rd week of the window - i.e. play the first test against Argentina in America with a further two in Argentina or whatever. 
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

What is the point in having rules to govern a sport when the WRU constantly try to ignore them and when they suffer the consequences bleat on about how unfair it is. They are making the Welsh game look amateur. If you want to, understandably, please your main sponsor in return for some serious dosh then plan it properly and utilise the 3rd week of the window - i.e. play the first test against Argentina in America with a further two in Argentina or whatever. 

It all boils down to money. They are so used to having these out of window games against SANZAR teams, that once they stop doing it - their turnover will be down approx £4m annually. And that's not a good look for a Chairman hoping to get re-elected again.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

It all boils down to money. They are so used to having these out of window games against SANZAR teams, that once they stop doing it - their turnover will be down approx £4m annually. And that's not a good look for a Chairman hoping to get re-elected again.

And so his re-election speech should be about him the WRU and the Regions working together in order to improve player welfare and giving the Regions a better chance of improving !!!!
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:35pm
Apparently Sam Vesty, Worcester Warriors coach tweeted something laying the blame at the door of the PRL who the AP sides have agreements with regarding player release.

Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 1:39pm
Remember South Africa are also to blame or is it a Wales v Wales game!!!!!!

If anything I agree with Sam Vesty.

KidA who runs English Rugby, I know what your answer is but should the governing body grow a pair of B**** to say let them go, they would not have played rugby for some 4-5 weeks, not interrupting anything.

So why.....don't say contract.

A SHAMBLES..... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic