Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wales V SA (Washington)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wales V SA (Washington)
    Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:46pm
A quick look at the tour party tells me there are 11 Scarlets in there (13 including Scott and Aled)

Wales play in Washington on 2nd June
Those 13 Scarlets could well be playing in Dublin on 26th May. 

When are the squad flying out? There's not enough to make up a 23 without the Scarlet contingent!
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Sponsored Links

sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:31pm
Think Dublin on the 26th takes precedence thankfully (if we get there)....the game in Washington is the WRU's problem not ours.

That'll teach them for organizing such a  dumb ass game so close to the end of the regular season.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:59pm
Just goes to show that the WRU think of nothing other than the cash cow that is team wales and they very well paid coaches, couldn’t see the other unions scheduling an international just 1 week after a league final playoff, especially with it being played thousands of miles away.
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by sgsmorgan sgsmorgan wrote:

Think Dublin on the 26th takes precedence thankfully (if we get there)....the game in Washington is the WRU's problem not ours.

That'll teach them for organizing such a  dumb ass game so close to the end of the regular season.

Unless you are going to the game like me. With 11 other taffs from the Midwest. Tongue
Scarlets before Wales
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:03am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Unless you are going to the game like me. With 11 other taffs from the Midwest. Tongue

The fact of having such a game isn't an issue....rather the timing of it. Shows that actually someone at the WRU had such little faith in the Pro Game in Wales as to think "Sure lets organise the game then, why not? None of our clowns will be still playing in any important games by then. We'll be knocked out of the tournaments by then...go ahead lets organise the game"

LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 7:42am
Under Armour have there Head office in Baltimore which is the reason for its location.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:00am
Under Armour are paying silly money to both teams for the game, a good idea I think, BUT useless when the Scarlets are in the final, and after a hard few weeks, so Gatland will have to pick his team from around 20 players a risk me thinks ??

Argentina will not be easy either.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:02am
These games present funding to our regions.

Personally running the season for 3 weeks or so is far better than a Summer series that runs in to July.

Players will be done and dusted by 16 June.

All the home nations have games in these times.

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:13am
Yes the finances are extremely important to all regions. The game in Washington will be used to give some of the players an opportunity to stake a claim. If we get to the final many of our boys will be rested for that game giving a possible team of :-

15. Amos 14. Adams 13. North 12. Watkin 11. Prydie 10. Anscombe 9. Williams 8. Moriarty 7. Navidi 6. Jenkins 5. Hill 4. Bradley Davies 3. Francis 2. Dee 1. Smith 

Bench Elias, Jones, Lewis, Seb Davies, Shingler, Cawdor, Patchell, Scott.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:36am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Personally running the season for 3 weeks or so is far better than a Summer series that runs in to July.

I read somewhere that from 2020, the June test window is moving to July. Just to accommodate super rugby. That seems like a crazy move to me.

I'm not really sure why Wales are the only home nation playing on the 2 June this year when all the others start a week later. Is 2 June even in the current test window?
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:39am
Other nations are playing on the 26th when Wales will be home, so really swings and roundabouts, personally I think the Welsh way is better, gives players a longer off season.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:41am
Full Super 15 programme weekend of 26th as well so SA will be in the same boat. As Wil Chips said Players done and dusted by June 16th and can go and enjoy their time off instead of having a few weeks off and then having to get back on it or a few weeks getting drilled by Gats and co and then going.
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 9:56am
Yes I keep hearing all this about how the finances benefit the regions etc etc.

I'm not disputingthat but I'd be very interested to see a £ for £ breakdown of what that actually means as to how much the regions would receive if this game wasn't taking place when it did and also what actually ££ the extra match in the autumn brings.

I suspect when you break down the actual net receipts to the regions that it's actually not that much which then brings about the argument as to why?
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:18am
Gatland's quote at yesterday's presser on Scarlets players' preparation if they make PRO14 Final

"If they have less preparation we will just have to deal with that. If the Scarlets get through we will have to bear that in mind."

Picking a touring squad of just 31 with 13 players (42%) likely to be involved in a massive game the weekend before would seem a tad careless, but maybe Gats & Co would prefer Scarlets not to make the final.

Perhaps there'll be some additional squad call-ups from other clubs if we beat Glasgow. If I was Owen Lane or Jarrod Evans, I might be booking myself a week's holiday in Florida for the Spring Bank Holiday week...

Edited by NobbySosban - 09 May 2018 at 10:18am
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:08pm

Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

The fact of having such a game isn't an issue....rather the timing of it. Shows that actually someone at the WRU had such little faith in the Pro Game in Wales as to think "Sure lets organise the game then, why not? None of our clowns will be still playing in any important games by then. We'll be knocked out of the tournaments by then...go ahead lets organise the game"

The game was only announced a couple of months ago. We were sitting pretty in the league at that point. Not sure I agree with you on that.
Scarlets before Wales
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I read somewhere that from 2020, the June test window is moving to July. Just to accommodate super rugby. That seems like a crazy move to me.

I'm not really sure why Wales are the only home nation playing on the 2 June this year when all the others start a week later. Is 2 June even in the current test window?

What? I'd be surprised. The French, English and the rest of the 6N would have to agree with that and I don't see the benefit to the NH. Who would vote for that?
Scarlets before Wales
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic