Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Links for Cardiff Blues game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:30am
Well done to the Blues - an excellent win. Wilson has done very well with a pretty young squad. They obviously need to make a few front 5 signings for next season but they will be competitive. A word for Josh Turnbull - what a consistent performer he is. 
Sponsored Links

Flaggman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaggman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 10:45am
I’d be happy to have Danny Wilson back as head coach if Wayne and Wellies get the Wales gig.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Flaggman Flaggman wrote:

I’d be happy to have Danny Wilson back as head coach if Wayne and Wellies get the Wales gig.

It's a thought, isn't it? He was a very good forwards coach here, and seems to have the respect of the players at Blues... if it ever arose, though, we'd desperately need a backs coach to replace Stevo. 
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 3:26pm
Hm not sure about that. If we lose Pivac and Steveo I’d like to see us really splash the cash and bring in one of the top quality Super Rugby coaches like Scott Robertson. Pivac has proved how important a top top coach is.

The next coaching appointment will be absolutely crucial.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:14pm
whatever the merits of the competition the blues have twice brought European silverware home for their fans something we have never done.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

whatever the merits of the competition the blues have twice brought European silverware home for their fans something we have never done.
We’ve played in the top tier competition though. You have to be below the standard we currently play at to win the Challenge Cup. There really is no comparison between the Challenge Cup and this Champions Cup

Edited by scarletnut - 13 May 2018 at 4:47pm
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 5:46pm

I’d definitely rather win the league and get to the semis of the proper comp than win the best of the rest come and finish mid table.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Hm not sure about that. If we lose Pivac and Steveo I’d like to see us really splash the cash and bring in one of the top quality Super Rugby coaches like Scott Robertson. Pivac has proved how important a top top coach is.

But Wayne was not a top Super Rugby coach - he was coach of Auckland (the ICM team not the Blues) having been sacked by North Harbour. Not to say we shouldn't go for one but, if anything, Wayne has shown us you may get the best person looking at lower levels (but a bigger risk to know if they can step up)

I'm sure Danny Wilson has done a great job at Cardiff but when Ellis Jenkins was being interviewed after the final, Sara Elgan was leading him to say how sad about Danny going and how great he was but Elks focused on those players going and added "and we are losing some coaches as well"(or words to that effect). Now Cardiff got their act together after Wilson announced he was leaving so there is a chance at least that the upturn in their fortunes has been player-led and that Wilson going was seen as good news by the players. May not be the case of course but it did make me wonder.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

We’ve played in the top tier competition though. You have to be below the standard we currently play at to win the Challenge Cup. There really is no comparison between the Challenge Cup and this Champions Cup
didn't we drop back at the 1/4 final stage one year from top tier?
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:20pm
Yes we did and played Toulon in the quarter final. Cardiff beat Toulon in the final which ment that we still had champions cup rugby the following season. I believe I'm right in saying this.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:31pm

Well Done to them on winning two Challenge Cups !  but it is very poor competion compared to the Champions Cup, Cardiff or the Blues never won a cross border league title since the Celtic Leagues came into place .
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

But Wayne was not a top Super Rugby coach - he was coach of Auckland (the ICM team not the Blues) having been sacked by North Harbour. Not to say we shouldn't go for one but, if anything, Wayne has shown us you may get the best person looking at lower levels (but a bigger risk to know if they can step up)

I'm sure Danny Wilson has done a great job at Cardiff but when Ellis Jenkins was being interviewed after the final, Sara Elgan was leading him to say how sad about Danny going and how great he was but Elks focused on those players going and added "and we are losing some coaches as well"(or words to that effect). Now Cardiff got their act together after Wilson announced he was leaving so there is a chance at least that the upturn in their fortunes has been player-led and that Wilson going was seen as good news by the players. May not be the case of course but it did make me wonder.
very good points. The point I was trying to make is, it might be worth saving a bit that we would have spent on a big name signing and bringing in a top quality replacement, or even another mentor for Steveo so that Steveo completes his apprenticeship under 3 top class coaches (Young, Pivac, ?).
Also the place is now a genuine viable top quality place for players to play and coaches to coach. Cassiem and Hidalgo-Clyne turned down bigger offers elsewhere, and Pivac said the quality of players putting themselves forwards had increased greatly this year. It’s reasonable to think the same applies to the coaches, and NZ who seem to have superb succession planning and coach development thrive at creating coaches who are innovative and can foster a good culture, and continue Pivac’s work if the day arises.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 8:40pm

So if we won the challenge cup you think people wouldn’t be that bothered about it?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

So if we won the challenge cup you think people wouldn’t be that bothered about it?
I’d rather get stuffed by Leinster in the semi of the Champions Cup
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic