Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Leinster (Pro14 Final)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 4:43pm
So, this has been bothering me since sitting in Block 507 at the Aviva - Carbery's pass for Conan's try that really sealed the win for Leinster was, from my lofty view, a yard or two forward.

Having now seen the footage from different angles, it seems I was wrong - it was closer to 3-4 yards. The pass was thrown in Ballsbridge and caught in Ringsend.

This didn't seem to get anyone's attention at the time, or since, perhaps because few believe it had a material effect on the outcome, but still something that should have been picked up by the ref, his assistant and, mostly, the TMO. If they were on their game, anyway. Wacko

And if anyone tells me that Carbery's hands went backwards... Angry

I can't post the images on here (is there no format that now works , or are all images verboten in case of copyright infringement?), but you can see them here:

Thanks for listening - feel better now. Approve
Sponsored Links

EJPT View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EJPT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 6:34pm
The team in the ascendency tends to get the rub of the green. We were outdone, we had the better of them last year and I feel we are better this season than last, but Leinster have come on leaps and bounds. They nullified our work at the breakdown, played the conditions, played the ref and exposed us with the high balls.
Bring on next season, Cassiem and Thompson will bring a dynamic ball carrying to our back row, Fonotia & Clayton will give us some (more) finesse in the backs.
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 11:49am
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

So, this has been bothering me since sitting in Block 507 at the Aviva - Carbery's pass for Conan's try that really sealed the win for Leinster was, from my lofty view, a yard or two forward.

Having now seen the footage from different angles, it seems I was wrong - it was closer to 3-4 yards. The pass was thrown in Ballsbridge and caught in Ringsend.

This didn't seem to get anyone's attention at the time, or since, perhaps because few believe it had a material effect on the outcome, but still something that should have been picked up by the ref, his assistant and, mostly, the TMO. If they were on their game, anyway. Wacko

And if anyone tells me that Carbery's hands went backwards... Angry

I can't post the images on here (is there no format that now works , or are all images verboten in case of copyright infringement?), but you can see them here:

Thanks for listening - feel better now. Approve

This is the old forward pass physics debate. I'm afraid we have to talk about the hands going backwards - because that's what the law states. It happens every single game.

The law as it stands is:

Quote Throw forward: When a player throws or passes the ball forward i.e. if the arms of the player passing the ball move forward.

Forward = Towards the opposition’s dead-ball line.

Now this angle shows what Carberry's hands did:

Therefore, no matter where the ball ends up, the law seems to say that because Carberry's hands moved backwards, we have to account for physics. So it wasn't a forward pass.

The law is worded badly though. If a player is stationary and attempts a huge cross field pass and his hands move backwards, yet the wind catches the ball and it travels 20m forwards - the law seems to state that it's play on!

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 2:41pm
I'd agree with Kid A that under the laws, that wasn't a forward pass - and TBH, we were so well beaten that I could not be bothered to complain about it.

The law probably does need clarification, though - I've seen passes and 'knock ons' where the initial movement was back, but the ball hits the ground - and, because of the shape of the ball, bounces forward. These are often given as offences, but IMO they clearly should not be.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
  Share Topic