Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shingle injury

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Blade is surely the obvious choice with Casseim at 8 and Boyde, McLoud & Rawlins as bench cover choices. 

ed kennedy may push himself into contention too. Looking forward to seeing how he develops.

He’s not played pro rugby yet so it will take him a while to find his feet
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Sponsored Links

tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 12:14pm
I think it's a mistake to assume the new signings will be any better than what we already have, especially in the short term.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 12:33pm
we have some depth that is what will count and will be useful in future. we will not be looking around and thinking we have no players to come in or rely on rfc/feeder team players or poor choice short term signings.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

I think it's a mistake to assume the new signings will be any better than what we already have, especially in the short term.
I don’t understand where you’re coming from there. Of course it will take some time to settle in and learn the calls etc but unlike some players we’ve signed in the past these are top end signings. Uzair Cassiem and Blade Thomson in particular were targets for big spending English and French clubs. I’ll get absolutely slaughtered for this but assuming he stays fit and settles in Cassiem is an upgrade in terms of what we’ve lost. Barclay has been a fantastic player and still is but Cassiem is younger, fitter and brings a carrying game that Barclay doesn’t have. Blade and Cassiem are certainly head and shoulders above all our other options with Shingler injured
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by turkishrebel turkishrebel wrote:

we have some depth that is what will count and will be useful in future. we will not be looking around and thinking we have no players to come in or rely on rfc/feeder team players or poor choice short term signings.

Yes, its a great feeling to have some depth. When you think back to the lack of depth Nigel Davies had  and then moving into Easters reign compared to now. The progress has been very solid and with excellent signings. Oh for Leinster's 55 man squad they used last season..
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I’ll get absolutely slaughtered for this but assuming he stays fit and settles in Cassiem is an upgrade in terms of what we’ve lost. Barclay has been a fantastic player and still is but Cassiem is younger, fitter and brings a carrying game that Barclay doesn’t have. Blade and Cassiem are certainly head and shoulders above all our other options with Shingler injured

Barclay was/is an outstanding player, and also brought huge leadership qualities - nominal replacements are a different profile and I'm sure will go well - losing a player of Shingler's immense ability already for the first few months of next season is a blow, but it's telling that we're talking about several options to cover his absence before they've even arrived, while also having existing players who could step in. 

Whether they are 'upgrades' remains to be seen, but simply having a range of positive choices to cover is in itself an upgrade, and testament to the Pivac Plan.

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

I’ll get absolutely slaughtered for this but assuming he stays fit and settles in Cassiem is an upgrade in terms of what we’ve lost. Barclay has been a fantastic player and still is but Cassiem is younger, fitter and brings a carrying game that Barclay doesn’t have. Blade and Cassiem are certainly head and shoulders above all our other options with Shingler injured

Barclay was/is an outstanding player, and also brought huge leadership qualities - nominal replacements are a different profile and I'm sure will go well - losing a player of Shingler's immense ability already for the first few months of next season is a blow, but it's telling that we're talking about several options to cover his absence before they've even arrived, while also having existing players who could step in. 

Whether they are 'upgrades' remains to be seen, but simply having a range of positive choices to cover is in itself an upgrade, and testament to the Pivac Plan.

Yep agree
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 2:03pm
In terms of physique, the nearest to Shingler is Rawlins - both tall, rangy players who may be a touch light for the second row, but get about the park really well. Shingler is an exceptional ball player, and it may be that Rawlins doesn't quite match him in skill (for the lineout) - I really don't know, but I don't recall Rawlins being used that often in that way. On the other hand, he's scarier when it comes to blitz defence, and has cut more than one opponent in half! I'd be interested to see their stats.

Presumably, Blade is the front runner to be our first choice at 6 - haven't seen him yet, but seems classy by all accounts. Macleod is another who could do a job at 6, though perhaps he's seen as more of an 8 - extremely promising player, and will learn from Cassiem. Boyde is yet another who covers the back row... we're not short of options, so as usual I think the coaches will look to balance the different skills across 6,7 and 8 in each game, using different combinations. So, although it's gutting to be without Shingler for months, we'll probably manage to plug the gaps in that way.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 2:18pm

Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

I don’t understand where you’re coming from there. Of course it will take some time to settle in and learn the calls etc but unlike some players we’ve signed in the past these are top end signings. Uzair Cassiem and Blade Thomson in particular were targets for big spending English and French clubs. I’ll get absolutely slaughtered for this but assuming he stays fit and settles in Cassiem is an upgrade in terms of what we’ve lost. Barclay has been a fantastic player and still is but Cassiem is younger, fitter and brings a carrying game that Barclay doesn’t have. Blade and Cassiem are certainly head and shoulders above all our other options with Shingler injured

I totally agree with you about Casseim. Barclay was and is a high quality 6/7 but has played out of position for us due to our inability to source an 8. Casseim is a natural 8 & Blade is no mug there either. 
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 5:30pm

Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Yep agree

When will Blade arrive? I assume Cassiem can have pre-season with us, as the Cheetahs are not in SR.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
TaffJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TaffJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 6:56pm
Boydie has had an operation on his shoulder today out for 12 weeks
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 8:42pm
Gutted for Shingler but a rest for him may not be the worst thing as he gets older. Enforced by injury would be the only way because can't imagine him voluntarily taking one!

We've seen Rawlins improve his carrying and ball handling this season and he may be Shingler's long term replacement. Hope Tom Phillips has an injury free run in the u23s too because he could offer us a genuinely different type of player.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2018 at 11:34pm
Another vote for Cassiem from me, without casting any aspersions on predecessors.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 5:41am
Originally posted by TaffJ TaffJ wrote:

Good, guy has been carrying this since pre Xmas. Tough lad.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 6:14am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Originally posted by TaffJ TaffJ wrote:

Good, guy has been carrying this since pre Xmas. Tough lad.

Another one! Let's hope he and the others come back fully restored...

BTW, I read on the Scarlets site that Jon Evans's injury was to his foot - don't remember reading on SF the nature of his injury. Any more info on that out there, anyone?
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 6:23am
Broken bone I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic