Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

John Barclay article

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote theieuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Barclay article
    Posted: 05 June 2018 at 12:10pm
Really good article on the BBC by John Barclay:

It's a really good read and shows what a great rugby character he is. Would love to see him back one day in a coaching capacity.
Sponsored Links

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 12:25pm
As always a great read & shows just what a nice guy he really is... this bit in particular had me giggling at my desk...

"Gareth Davies pushed me around Glasgow airport in a wheelchair and we got lost trying to find the disabled lift. At the other end, I stayed with Gareth who bathed and showered me daily - his insistence, not mine. I spent Saturday whizzing around Pontcanna in a borrowed mobility scooter. Crashed into a beer garden at one point. But that's another story."
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by theieuan theieuan wrote:

Really good article on the BBC by John Barclay:

It's a really good read and shows what a great rugby character he is. Would love to see him back one day in a coaching capacity.

Thanks for that - John sounds like a really nice and well balanced bloke. I do hope he'll be able to appreciate the time with his young kids once his mobility improves! It's a sort of bonus, as many of us don't see much of the kids when we work.

We all wish him well for a complete recovery... I would not be surprised if he turns into an excellent defence coach when his playing days are over.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 2:49pm
Very impressive read from a bright guy.Focusing on the positives in adversity and looking at how to fill his plate in other ways in recovery. Good way to run your life in fact but easier said than done sometimes!
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:09pm
top quality gent and very sharp. he will be a very very good coach, his knowledge of the game is huge. I think his time with us has helped him massively too. hope to see him back with us one day
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Sandman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 4:00pm
Didn’t he want a three year contract with the option of the third year in coaching? Don’t know the ins and outs of the negotiations, but he’s a massive loss as a coach. Can you imagine someone like Barclay coaching in the accademy set up? Those youngsters would benefit for the rest of their careers.
Only one team plays in red. (Sorry, Scarlet)
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 4:38pm
you can see the influence JB has had on players like cubby and wil boyde etc. hes been tremendous for our young forwards.
think he will have a very good future in coaching. good luck John
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 4:47pm
Gutted we couldnt involve him as a coach from now BUT....
with how things are heading, we need an entire new coaching staff pretty soon.

Barclay will now learn from Townsend who is keen on Barclay to take some form of coaching role and obviously Richard Cockerill. His first stint will be in Scotland but taking the knowledge he will learn now, on top of what he has learned from Pivac, Stevo, Hayward and Easterby before them, I am sure when the time is right we will see the return of John Barclay as a coach. May be way into the future before this happens, but he even could come back as a head coach. He certainly wants a coaching career.

When this crop of coaches leave, I am not sure where we go.

Do we bring in an outsider who can then bring in his own team?
Pivac brought in his choices all of whom former Scarlets as well as keeping Cunningham.
We may see something like that working again:
Head Coach: Dave Rennie / Scott Robertson?
Backs Coach: Dwayne Peel?
Forwards Coach: Emyr Phillips?
Defence Coach: John Barclay?

All ifs and buts at the moment, but I dont think it will be long until we need to look at filling 4 roles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic