FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plans revealed for new Edinburgh stadium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plans revealed for new Edinburgh stadium
    Posted: 12 June 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by John John wrote:

The last time I saw the Scarlets in Edinburgh (the drawn match in Sept 2014), the Edinburgh programme was full of a big step forward in that they were establishing contacts with local businesses. In the second wealthiest city in the UK, the only pro rugby team was only just establishing business contacts then? What a shambles! Cockers has sorted out the underperformance on the pitch but there is still doubtless much to do off the pitch. Of all the underperforming teams in our league, Edinburgh have been the worst because of the wealth in the city and the now largely defunct rugby nursery of the Borders being just 40 miles down the road. They should be performing at Leinster levels on all fronts- production of young players, crowd size, sponsorship income and most of all performance of the first XV.    

I wonder how supporters of the Borders teams - Gala, Hawick etc. - feel about things? They had a regional side for a while, then it was closed down (like the Celtic Warriors here). I'd be feeling pretty sick in their shoes.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 7:17pm
The last time I saw the Scarlets in Edinburgh (the drawn match in Sept 2014), the Edinburgh programme was full of a big step forward in that they were establishing contacts with local businesses. In the second wealthiest city in the UK, the only pro rugby team was only just establishing business contacts then? What a shambles! Cockers has sorted out the underperformance on the pitch but there is still doubtless much to do off the pitch. Of all the underperforming teams in our league, Edinburgh have been the worst because of the wealth in the city and the now largely defunct rugby nursery of the Borders being just 40 miles down the road. They should be performing at Leinster levels on all fronts- production of young players, crowd size, sponsorship income and most of all performance of the first XV.    
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

No idea with regards to the capacity.

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Why such a small capacity in a city the size of Edinburgh? An additional topic regarding Scottish rugby which I read earlier was a scathing indictment of the Scottish RFU by Finn Russell's dad who has successfully pursued a case for wrongful dismissal at a recent tribunal. He complains of an old boys club running Scottish rugby.

I saw that on the beeb, regarding Finn Russell's dad & if what he said about the SRU is correct then it's a little worrying for Scottish Rugby...

"And I think one of the biggest problems with Scottish Rugby at the moment is there are no plans, there are no outcomes, there are no KPIs [key performance indicators], there's no way in which performance can really be measured across the board - not just in domestic rugby."

From what I've heard, Mark Dodson has been a good partner in the PRO14 expansion, as he's much more commercially driven than other blazers at the SRU, as well as IRFU and the Italian Federation, but he's become embroiled in creating a new slightly bizarre semi-pro 'Super 6' level with no teams around Glasgow involved, and is making enemies throughout the Scottish game. Plans to buy an English Premiership club (Newcastle or Worcester?) also seem muddled, but relative success at Test level and more competitive pro teams makes it look like something's working.

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:34pm
Hope they invest in a great shockpad under the pitch, as well as installing excellent watering system.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 2:21pm
I assume they will be able to expand the ground capacity-wise if there is later seen to be a need BUT that takes time and, in any case, new grounds normally encourage bigger crowds and, with their improvement on the pitch, it does indeed seem very unambitious.

The pitch allows it to be multi-use and they may think they need that to get planning permission and make it pay its way. Can't beat a good pitch like we have though
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 1:28pm
Doesn't sound like a great plan, TBH - 3G? Is that what Jonny and other Scarlets found to be so abrasive recently? Surely grass - or the very latest hybrid grass/artificial surface - should have been used.

Also, the capacity shows a lack of ambition... either they'll have to play 'popular' games in front of a crowd a lot smaller than it might have been, or they'll be rattling around in a mainly empty Murrayfield. 

Not great, really.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 12:12pm
No idea with regards to the capacity.

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Why such a small capacity in a city the size of Edinburgh? An additional topic regarding Scottish rugby which I read earlier was a scathing indictment of the Scottish RFU by Finn Russell's dad who has successfully pursued a case for wrongful dismissal at a recent tribunal. He complains of an old boys club running Scottish rugby.

I saw that on the beeb, regarding Finn Russell's dad & if what he said about the SRU is correct then it's a little worrying for Scottish Rugby...

"And I think one of the biggest problems with Scottish Rugby at the moment is there are no plans, there are no outcomes, there are no KPIs [key performance indicators], there's no way in which performance can really be measured across the board - not just in domestic rugby."
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 11:59am
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 11:38am
Scottish Rugby have unveiled plans for a new purpose-built stadium next to BT Murrayfield to be the new home of PRO14 side Edinburgh.

A new 7,800-capacity stadium will use a 3G pitch as a playing surface and have four covered spectator stands, with the aim being for Edinburgh to begin playing their home matches there for the start of the 2019-20 season.

It is hoped the new stadium will be widely available to the community while maintaining Murrayfield for use by the Scotland national team.

“We are incredibly excited to be in a position to be able to submit this application to give Edinburgh a new home,” Scottish Rugby’s chief operating officer, Dominic McKay, said.

“After many years of exhausting all the potential stadium and playing ground options for Edinburgh in the local area, we have taken the initiative and will be investing ourselves to develop a venue that can help the team to grow and provide a great spectator experience.

“We see this as adding increased flexibility to the BT Murrayfield site and believe we have submitted a robust, sensible application and hope it will be viewed favourably.

“I’d like to thank the City of Edinburgh Council for their support to date and look forward to working with them over the coming months.”

Richard Cockerill’s side began this season playing at the small Myreside ground only for their matches to return to Murrayfield after progressing through the pool stages of the Challenge Cup and to the knockout stages of the PRO14.

Commenting on the proposal which has been applied for planning permission, Cockerill commented: “I’ve said right from the start that Edinburgh has a lot of potential but it had lacked a strong culture and sense of identity.

“What is exciting about this new project is that as a club, as players, staff and fans we could have a home that we can begin to build something from. It will give us a focal point, excellent facilities and a chance to move the club forward both on and off the pitch.”

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest-news/30494/scottish-rugby-reveal-plans-for-new-7800-capacity-stadium-for-edinburgh/

Edited by Fscarlet - 11 June 2018 at 11:38am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic