Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heineken Champions Cup Draw 2018-19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Does anyone know, may have missed it, but how come Bath couldnt be in our group? Few groups have 2 English sides, so that cant be the reason...?

Found it:

There will be no more than two clubs from the same league in a pool and
no pool will contain two PRO14 clubs from the same country.

That still makes no sense. Had we drawn Bath, the group would have had 2 premiership, 1 Pro 14 and 1 Top 14. Now it’s 2 Pro14, 1 top14 and 1 prem. Still doesn’t explain why we weren’t allowed Bath. Odd.

Edited by scarletsrules - 20 June 2018 at 11:38pm
Sponsored Links

minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 11:46pm

Does anyone know, may have missed it, but how come Bath couldnt be in our group? Few groups have 2 English sides, so that cant be the reason...?

Found it:

That still makes no sense. Had we drawn Bath, the group would have had 2 premiership, 1 Pro 14 and 1 Top 14. Now it’s 2 Pro14, 1 top14 and 1 prem. Still doesn’t explain why we weren’t allowed Bath. Odd.
Having only just worked it out myself, you're looking at it the wrong way.

During that tier 4 draw, Blues Toulon and Gloucester had already been picked and put into pools.

It wasn't so much that we couldn't be in a pool with Bath, it was because the last remaining ball in the pot was Ulster and they couldn't go into pool 1 alongside Leinster because of the bit Fscarlet bolded above, forcing Bath to go into Leinsters group and us to have Ulster.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 4:54am
Looking forward to a visit to Welford Road.

Not so much the others.

Generally a good group for us.

What's nice is the other team seeing us in the group and thinking..'Oh..great..Scarlets '
Bryn A! Wel! View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryn A! Wel! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:21am
Since the back-to backs home and away fall around Christmas time, financially, I hope it's Leicester then. Racing away first, please, when we will be less likely to have lost a player(s) to the rigours of league rugby. 
Fy nheml sy'n yr Emlyn
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:21am
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Let the banter commence lol. They've already started on the UAFC site.
I noted one of your guys on twitter looking forward to seeing us run 10 tries past you at Welford so he's not confident for sure. We certainly owe you one after years of being the underdog against you.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:39am
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Found it:

Having only just worked it out myself, you're looking at it the wrong way.

During that tier 4 draw, Blues Toulon and Gloucester had already been picked and put into pools.

It wasn't so much that we couldn't be in a pool with Bath, it was because the last remaining ball in the pot was Ulster and they couldn't go into pool 1 alongside Leinster because of the bit Fscarlet bolded above, forcing Bath to go into Leinsters group and us to have Ulster.

ah yes! my bad! Diolch! Thumbs Up
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:02am
Generally a very decent draw. No easy games around anymore - all there on merit. For my hard earned dollar no away trip appeals to be honest. Paris is a big city rip off while Belfast is one of the last places I would go based on both work & rugby experiences. Welford Road is a true rugby stadium so that would get my vote. 

As far as our chances are concerned we can win all 6 games thats for sure. We should be targeting a home quarter realistically. I was impressed with Racing's physicality against Leinster but they didn't have a midfield to conjure up a winning position. Signing Finn Russell is a step back in my opinion so I don't see that they have improved for next season. 

Well Ulster have had a nightmare season both on and off the field. Jono Gibbs obviously had seen enough and returned home " for family reasons" & duly signed for La Rochelle - whats that all about. Piutau has gone and as yet nobody has been signed that turns your head. They still have not announced a new 10 so they could be in for another season of pain. Tigers do not have a feared pack anymore & if Munster can beat them home & away so can we. Get our attitude correct with high intensity from second one and we can top this group. 
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:15am
Looking forward to returning to Welford Road - I went to college in Lestooor, me duck, and a lad on my course turned out for the Tigers 1st XV a couple of times in the early '90s.

I also have a mate who was Chief Pie & Curry Taster for the Tigers Supporters' Group, although he had to give it up due to work commitments. LOL

I've given Mrs Nobby the option of an away trip to Leicester, Belfast or Paris. I think she'll choose Leicester. 

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:27am
Rookie error offering Paris there.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Spoken like a man who knows from experience there WilWink
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:35am
Pool 3 is interesting, 3 teams who play on artificial pitches (Cardiff, Glasgow and Saracens), Lyon must be delighted with the prospect of playing all 3 away games on artificial pitches and must be fearing picking up some nasty injuries during those fixtures.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:36am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Spoken like a man who knows from experience there WilWink

Yyep.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

Looking forward to returning to Welford Road - I went to college in Lestooor, me duck, and a lad on my course turned out for the Tigers 1st XV a couple of times in the early '90s.

I also have a mate who was Chief Pie & Curry Taster for the Tigers Supporters' Group, although he had to give it up due to work commitments. LOL

I've given Mrs Nobby the option of an away trip to Leicester, Belfast or Paris. I think she'll choose Leicester. 

unless  she's from Leicester  I reckon you'll be taking her to paris fella !

Decent draw but not easy, no ten pointers from two Italian teams in this group.

Leicester ulster and racing will always fancy their chances at home vs anyone, and so will we

The away games will be the key in this group , I don't see a best runner up coming out of this pool
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

unless  she's from Leicester  I reckon you'll be taking her to paris fella !

Decent draw but not easy, no ten pointers from two Italian teams in this group.

Leicester ulster and racing will always fancy their chances at home vs anyone, and so will we

The away games will be the key in this group , I don't see a best runner up coming out of this pool

With no Italian sides in the HCC this year, I'm finding it hard to say which pools will have the 2 best runners up.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 12:28pm

Generally a very decent draw. No easy games around anymore - all there on merit. For my hard earned dollar no away trip appeals to be honest. Paris is a big city rip off while Belfast is one of the last places I would go based on both work & rugby experiences. Welford Road is a true rugby stadium so that would get my vote. 

As far as our chances are concerned we can win all 6 games thats for sure. We should be targeting a home quarter realistically. I was impressed with Racing's physicality against Leinster but they didn't have a midfield to conjure up a winning position. Signing Finn Russell is a step back in my opinion so I don't see that they have improved for next season. 

Well Ulster have had a nightmare season both on and off the field. Jono Gibbs obviously had seen enough and returned home " for family reasons" & duly signed for La Rochelle - whats that all about. Piutau has gone and as yet nobody has been signed that turns your head. They still have not announced a new 10 so they could be in for another season of pain. Tigers do not have a feared pack anymore & if Munster can beat them home & away so can we. Get our attitude correct with high intensity from second one and we can top this group. 

Belfast has changed a lot in recent years in fairness. Lots more to do and see there and loads of places of interest. Plus if you get out there a few days early take the train up the antrim coast it really is as scenic a rail road as you can anywhere
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Belfast has changed a lot in recent years in fairness. Lots more to do and see there and loads of places of interest. Plus if you get out there a few days early take the train up the antrim coast it really is as scenic a rail road as you can anywhere

Don't think its changed that much since 2016!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic