Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Heineken Champions Cup Draw 2018-19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Generally a very decent draw. No easy games around anymore - all there on merit. For my hard earned dollar no away trip appeals to be honest. Paris is a big city rip off while Belfast is one of the last places I would go based on both work & rugby experiences. Welford Road is a true rugby stadium so that would get my vote. 

As far as our chances are concerned we can win all 6 games thats for sure. We should be targeting a home quarter realistically. I was impressed with Racing's physicality against Leinster but they didn't have a midfield to conjure up a winning position. Signing Finn Russell is a step back in my opinion so I don't see that they have improved for next season. 

Well Ulster have had a nightmare season both on and off the field. Jono Gibbs obviously had seen enough and returned home " for family reasons" & duly signed for La Rochelle - whats that all about. Piutau has gone and as yet nobody has been signed that turns your head. They still have not announced a new 10 so they could be in for another season of pain. Tigers do not have a feared pack anymore & if Munster can beat them home & away so can we. Get our attitude correct with high intensity from second one and we can top this group. 

Belfast has changed a lot in recent years in fairness. Lots more to do and see there and loads of places of interest. Plus if you get out there a few days early take the train up the antrim coast it really is as scenic a rail road as you can anywhere

I'm a bit interested in taking a short break to Belfast and the environs - last time I was there (1974) there were guards on the doors of the pub our opponents - Malone - used for after match beers. I don't recall the name - must have been near their ground - but the most interesting pub there was the Crown Liquor Saloon - very ornate - across the road from the much-bombed Europa Hotel. I'd certainly like to see how things have changed from those dark days.

Paris - a beautiful city - lived there for four years, and birthplace of my eldest daughter. I'll cheerfully head there for a few days, and catch some culture as well as the rugby. 

Leicester - not a great city to visit, though of course a rugby stronghold. I don't have happy memories of our match at the 'neutral' (!) Walker Stadium some 200 yards from Welford Road. Looked like a bit of a concrete jungle... probably won't go unless it turns into a Bath-style situation.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Sponsored Links

Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 2:05pm
Your daughter qualifies on residency to play for Les Bleus then sir...a gift we both bestowed upon our offspring !!

Ulster is a good venue for a weekend -- and I know it's not Dublin... but its just as pants to get to (harder for me in fact).

RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Generally a very decent draw. No easy games around anymore - all there on merit. For my hard earned dollar no away trip appeals to be honest. Paris is a big city rip off while Belfast is one of the last places I would go based on both work & rugby experiences. Welford Road is a true rugby stadium so that would get my vote. 

As far as our chances are concerned we can win all 6 games thats for sure. We should be targeting a home quarter realistically. I was impressed with Racing's physicality against Leinster but they didn't have a midfield to conjure up a winning position. Signing Finn Russell is a step back in my opinion so I don't see that they have improved for next season. 

Well Ulster have had a nightmare season both on and off the field. Jono Gibbs obviously had seen enough and returned home " for family reasons" & duly signed for La Rochelle - whats that all about. Piutau has gone and as yet nobody has been signed that turns your head. They still have not announced a new 10 so they could be in for another season of pain. Tigers do not have a feared pack anymore & if Munster can beat them home & away so can we. Get our attitude correct with high intensity from second one and we can top this group. 

Belfast has changed a lot in recent years in fairness. Lots more to do and see there and loads of places of interest. Plus if you get out there a few days early take the train up the antrim coast it really is as scenic a rail road as you can anywhere

I'm a bit interested in taking a short break to Belfast and the environs - last time I was there (1974) there were guards on the doors of the pub our opponents - Malone - used for after match beers. I don't recall the name - must have been near their ground - but the most interesting pub there was the Crown Liquor Saloon - very ornate - across the road from the much-bombed Europa Hotel. I'd certainly like to see how things have changed from those dark days.

Paris - a beautiful city - lived there for four years, and birthplace of my eldest daughter. I'll cheerfully head there for a few days, and catch some culture as well as the rugby. 

Leicester - not a great city to visit, though of course a rugby stronghold. I don't have happy memories of our match at the 'neutral' (!) Walker Stadium some 200 yards from Welford Road. Looked like a bit of a concrete jungle... probably won't go unless it turns into a Bath-style situation.

The Crown and close to it Robinsons are still the top pubs there,

It's well worth getting a taxi around the sites (the murals from both sides are some sight) and the peace walls especially down towards the republican side are something to see.

I was stationed there when I served and it has really changed 100%, I'd really recommend it
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 3:39pm
Interesting - thanks for that. I do remember some of the murals - not exactly cheerful viewing, in the early 1970s.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Scrum_Bar_Turk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrum_Bar_Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 5:26pm
good shout nobby I went to uni up in Leicester in 91 to 94 great student city in the early 90s i reckon that could be an awesome away trip and we should be able to get a lot of support up there !
Turkpower View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turkpower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:22pm
When I saw Ulster v Scarlets last season i went to the Crown, still does a real nice Irish stew. Best way to see the murals is to walk up the Falls road to the end. Take a right and a short walk through a housing estate you come out on the Shanklin road. Walk down it back to the city centre.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Turkpower Turkpower wrote:

When I saw Ulster v Scarlets last season i went to the Crown, still does a real nice Irish stew. Best way to see the murals is to walk up the Falls road to the end. Take a right and a short walk through a housing estate you come out on the Shanklin road. Walk down it back to the city centre.

Does Tom live there with his father Jim ?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:37pm

Indeed, plus added to this it is looking increasingly likely that they won't have their new head coach (Dan McFarland) in place until January following the SRU's announcement that they expect McFarland to remain in post until then, despite the appointment of Danny Wilson as Scotlands forwards coach.
tigerburnie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:39pm
Bookies Odds
True Underdogs

9/4 - Leinster

4/1 - Saracens

8/1 - Montpellier

12/1 - Exeter Chiefs

14/1 - Munster

16/1 - Racing 92

20/1 - Scarlets, Toulon

33/1 - Wasps

50/1 - Glasgow Warriors

66/1 - Toulouse

80/1 - Leicester Tigers, Castres

100/1 - Bath Rugby

150/1 - Gloucester, Lyon

200/1 - Ulster

250/1 - Cardiff Blues, Edinburgh, Newcastle Falcons
 Some very @odd@ ones in there
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Bookies Odds
True Underdogs

9/4 - Leinster

4/1 - Saracens

8/1 - Montpellier

12/1 - Exeter Chiefs

14/1 - Munster

16/1 - Racing 92

20/1 - Scarlets, Toulon

33/1 - Wasps

50/1 - Glasgow Warriors

66/1 - Toulouse

80/1 - Leicester Tigers, Castres

100/1 - Bath Rugby

150/1 - Gloucester, Lyon

200/1 - Ulster

250/1 - Cardiff Blues, Edinburgh, Newcastle Falcons
 Some very @odd@ ones in there

Us, Wasps and Castres look like excellent each way bets.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 6:10pm
Motpellier out at the group stage, we got to the semis. So I dont get how they are far shorter odds than us. Or Munster for that matter.
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2018 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Motpellier out at the group stage, we got to the semis. So I dont get how they are far shorter odds than us. Or Munster for that matter.

Same was true of Exeter.

Edited by ap sior - 22 June 2018 at 7:33pm
roy munster View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roy munster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 10:10pm
if not the group of death its a group of doom ....3 massive sides
ROYMOND MUNTER MBE (FOR SERVICES TO THE COMBOVER)
Matthew Cardey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Cardey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 10:47pm
No easy groups in this tournament anymore. Id say we have one of the hardest to progress from. Ulster and Leicester have had pretty abysmal few season by their standards and one if not two of them are bound to turn it around. Racing very hard team to break down this year but with any french side these days they have massive ups and downs in form. A teams form improves and deteriorates as the season progresses so no one can really call the 8 QFs for next years champions cup, it what makes the tournament so special.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Indeed, plus added to this it is looking increasingly likely that they won't have their new head coach (Dan McFarland) in place until January following the SRU's announcement that they expect McFarland to remain in post until then, despite the appointment of Danny Wilson as Scotlands forwards coach.

Ireland forwards coach Simon Easterby is to assist with coaching Ulster until the arrival of the Irish province's new head coach Dan McFarland.

Easterby began working with the Ulster coaching team this week.

An Ulster Rugby statement said that the former Scarlets forward will "provide coaching support in the interim period" before McFarland's arrival.

It is not yet known when the Scotland forwards coach will take charge at Ulster.

LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 6:07pm
That's not an ideal scenario having a temporary coach for a few months
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
  Share Topic