Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are our expectations now higher?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:05am
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Yep I’ll agree here, would like to see some of Rhys Fawcett, Daf Hughes/Taylor Davies, Javen Sebastian, Josh Helps, Tom Phillips (if fit), Shaun Evans all given a run of 2-3 games with the first team to see if they will be able to step up.

I hope that these guys will get a bit more game time/opportunities this season. I feel like we have done very well in bringing through the young backs but we seem to be recruiting forward cover, so fingers crossed they get a shout this year.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:18am
With a larger better quality squad being assembled young players have to be exceptional to warrant a place. Conbeer, Nicholas & Baldwin have been blooded so should go on to play bigger parts. One of the young hookers will definitely get his chance next season. Shaun Evans is in for very strong competition from Dan Davis. I have not seen much of Ellis Jones the back 5 player but I believe he has some good skills.

A huge amount of development will go into these young players when they start to live as full time professionals and great strides can be made. We certainly could do with developing some front 5 forwards & a carrying No 8. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:39am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

With a larger better quality squad being assembled young players have to be exceptional to warrant a place. Conbeer, Nicholas & Baldwin have been blooded so should go on to play bigger parts. One of the young hookers will definitely get his chance next season. Shaun Evans is in for very strong competition from Dan Davis. I have not seen much of Ellis Jones the back 5 player but I believe he has some good skills.

A huge amount of development will go into these young players when they start to live as full time professionals and great strides can be made. We certainly could do with developing some front 5 forwards & a carrying No 8. 
I think Tuipulotu is going to be developed as a carrying 8 so fingers crossed on that one
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:42am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

I think Tuipulotu is going to be developed as a carrying 8 so fingers crossed on that one

Yes he certainly possesses some great raw materials and has a decent family pedigree.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:50am

I haven't heard a player, that I haven't seen play, talked about so much for a long time.... lets hope he develops nicely.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I haven't heard a player, that I haven't seen play, talked about so much for a long time.... lets hope he develops nicely.

That is perfectly true. It does however appear that some very good judges of potential were persuaded that he had a bright future. Lets hope that this forward thinking is given time to fulfil its potential. If he gets to be the best he can be that is all anyone can ask. 
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:01am
Knockout stages Europe and pro24 final again for me. World Cup season will be a whole different matter. If we are still supplying a large chunk to Wales our squad will be decimated.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Knockout stages Europe and pro24 final again for me. World Cup season will be a whole different matter. If we are still supplying a large chunk to Wales our squad will be decimated.

Bloody hell, I knew South Africa wanted to get more teams in but surely adding 10 next season will be a logistical nightmare WinkWink
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:15am
Pro 12 final and champions cup 1/4 or semifinals. Remember last season we were top seeds in the draw but next season that will be Leinster, so our group might be tougher than last year. The champions cup as a whole will be very tough, who’d have thought that Toulon would be as low a fourth tier plus there are a lot of top sides who didn’t even qualify. I’d be happy to get into the knockout stages and maybe finally get that elusive home semifinal.
Our squad will be stronger during the international periods because of our new signings, but these signings will probably hold back the development of some of the younger academy players coming through, but we can’t have it all ways can we.
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Pro 12 final and champions cup 1/4 or semifinals. Remember last season we were top seeds in the draw but next season that will be Leinster, so our group might be tougher than last year. The champions cup as a whole will be very tough, who’d have thought that Toulon would be as low a fourth tier plus there are a lot of top sides who didn’t even qualify. I’d be happy to get into the knockout stages and maybe finally get that elusive home semifinal.
Our squad will be stronger during the international periods because of our new signings, but these signings will probably hold back the development of some of the younger academy players coming through, but we can’t have it all ways can we.

66% chances we'll be tier 1 again I think.

Pro14 Final and champions QF will be a good season
Champions Home Semi would be a fantastic achievement.

1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:11pm
There is no chance for us getting a home semi! Only teams who play some home games at the big boy stadiums have that opportunity. Best you can get is in Cardiff I think?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

There is no chance for us getting a home semi! Only teams who play some home games at the big boy stadiums have that opportunity. Best you can get is in Cardiff I think?

The EPCR pick the 'home' venues for the Semi Finals hence my use of 'home' when I said I would love to get a home Semi.

The big issue from this season was the fact that Leinster played their big matches including the QF at the Avivva.

I think for the majority of us a 'home' semi in Cardiff is much more doable that a semi in Ireland or Scotland.

Edited by Fscarlet - 13 June 2018 at 12:16pm
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 12:38pm

Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

The EPCR pick the 'home' venues for the Semi Finals hence my use of 'home' when I said I would love to get a home Semi.

The big issue from this season was the fact that Leinster played their big matches including the QF at the Avivva.

I think for the majority of us a 'home' semi in Cardiff is much more doable that a semi in Ireland or Scotland.

That would be a huge occasion. Can you imagine the atmosphere with 50k + fans in the Principality for say Scarlets against Munster, Leinster, Racing or Saracens. The Heineken is the pinnacle for club tournaments in World Rugby and to be serial knock out stage participants is some achievement. 
rygbi11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rygbi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:12pm
We are hopefully safe whatever happens because there is no relegation from the Pro14.
Scarletrover View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarletrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 4:36pm
Glasgow AND Newcastle for me!

supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 5:19pm

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a season ticket holder over the Loughor & he said that the Ospreys should be looking at a semi final place in the challenge cup as a minimum this year, though with the calibre of teams in it they may not make it that far.

Anyway that got me thinking about what our expectations are now. Three seasons ago if someone had said to anyone us, within 3 years you will win the Pro 12, make the final the following year & reach the semi finals of the Champions Cup, I am sure many of us would have said "if you say so". But we are coming off the back of quite a couple of seasons.

So what do we think will constitute a successful 2018/19 season?

I would like to think we will make the semi finals of the Pro 14 & certainly the knock out stages of the Champions Cup though if I am greedy I would love a home QF & 'home' semi final too.

I also look forward to the development of younger players such as Ioan Nicholas & Ryan Conbeer.

I appreciate we are weeks away from the start of the season but what, for you, are you looking for next season?
Dreams are different to expectations though. Ospreys may dream of being in a semi but they couldn't do it with the galacticos as they were christened so why now when they are pretty weak in some key areas. We should look to keep our home record as a minimum, depending on pool we should look at semi again in HC and why not challenge for the league. We are now expected to perform, not a one season fluke some some.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic