Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racecourse Ground

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racecourse Ground
    Posted: 27 June 2018 at 10:43am
Question: 

Have we ever played any games at the Racecourse ground up in Wrexham?

If so when? 

And would there be any merit for the reigion to do more of that? 

e.g. playing 1 game a year up there or a 'neutral venue' game?
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Sponsored Links

redeyes View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redeyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 11:49am
It has been done before and was not well supported. I dont see the benefit of loosing revenue by playing away from Parc Y Scarlets.
The stadium may change, but the dream will remain the same!

Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 11:50am
I'm not sure but I think we played 4 games there, I seem to remember us being Leinster there back in the day.
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 12:14pm

We played 3 or 4 games there,enjoyed every trip but was not a huge success so no more experiments with regards that ...
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 12:34pm
I went to one of the home games at Wrexham.

Lots of the fans attending had actually traveled from the south.

New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 12:50pm
I think we played 4 games there over 3 seasons. I went to 3 of them, the last one being against Connacht where Lee Byrne scored/helped score a cracking try.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 1:23pm
the annual games at the Racecourse were stopped once the wru took over responsibility for North Wales rugby.

There was around 4 of them. First couple were ok, but they quickly went poorly supported.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 1:38pm
Speedy, remember do they know it's christmas time.... and that awesome Indian restaurant on the way back.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 2:30pm
It may be worth looking at again.   A new road between North and South Wales is desperately needed imo.
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 2:45pm
I seem to remember that we played the Scottish Borders there a few times.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 3:27pm
It was an annual thing when regional rugby started. It wasn't well supported by the locals at all. The only people in attendance there really were the away fans and the scarlets fans that travelled up on the buses from Llanelli!
in the pub next to the ground, they asked us all what was going on...they were completely unaware that there was anything on.

If it was a success I am sure we would have carried it on.

Since then of course, North Wales is no longer part of Scarlets region so it would be a pretty pointless exercise IMO.

If ever we were able to do a road show type thing of taking a fixture on the road, I'd prefer to keep it within the region. However I don't think there are any grounds that tick all the boxes for Pro14 requirements. We do however take our friendlies around the region if we play any at home - Bristol in August I believe will be in Llandovery.
GreyScarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreyScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 9:00pm
I, as did other posters, went to the 'home' games at the racecourse and I too got the impression that there were VERY few supporters there from the local area.

I was pleased that,as the region that included North Wales, we did the correct thing and played some of our home games there.

The other regions made no attempt at all to do that at the time.
Virtually perfect rugby - 1992/93
dyniol53 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyniol53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 9:42pm
Thanks for the replies!

Likely poorly promoted - but also a soccer obsessed area of the country, I guess.

Always thought it was quite a good stadium.
https://twitter.com/exile_podcast?lang=en
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by GreyScarlet GreyScarlet wrote:

I, as did other posters, went to the 'home' games at the racecourse and I too got the impression that there were VERY few supporters there from the local area.

I was pleased that,as the region that included North Wales, we did the correct thing and played some of our home games there.

The other regions made no attempt at all to do that at the time.

In fairness it was our sole duty at the time, it was part of the deal, traded off for standing alone, that and the £1mish less in funding for the first few years.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 9:48pm
The final year of our commitment saw us recruit George north to the academy just before it was taken over by the wru.
scarlet157 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarlet157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 10:45pm
The pre-season game against Bath in Parc Eirias in Colwyn Bay was better supported by the locals than the games at the Racecourse were.

Wrexham was a good trip (did up and back the same day first time, then stayed in Llangollen twice), but the fact its so close to Liverpool, Everton, Man U and Man City meant we were always going to be on a hiding to nothing by playing in Wrexham.

If Parc Eirias had been an option at that time perhaps we could have gone there instead and made more of a success of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic