Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Racecourse Ground

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Originally posted by GreyScarlet GreyScarlet wrote:

I, as did other posters, went to the 'home' games at the racecourse and I too got the impression that there were VERY few supporters there from the local area.

I was pleased that,as the region that included North Wales, we did the correct thing and played some of our home games there.

The other regions made no attempt at all to do that at the time.

In fairness it was our sole duty at the time, it was part of the deal, traded off for standing alone, that and the £1mish less in funding for the first few years.

Nowt fair in love and war.
Scarlets before Wales
Sponsored Links

scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 8:58am
We were struggling for decent crowds back then anyway I think wernt we and I believe we were in stradey park not PYS,
IMO if we were going to do it , it would have been better to take an Anglo Welsh (before it was cancelled) game there last season to see how supported it would have been.

We are better supported all around now though and if it was well advertised etc I don't see how it couldn't be a success but then we risk losing a lot of revenue by doing it unfortunately, cant expect people to buy season tickets, sponsorships etc and then take a game away from our home ground
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 12:04pm
I remember Mike Philips played flanker in 1 game up there. Not the best journey up there but at least it's alongside the station for rail users.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

We were struggling for decent crowds back then anyway I think wernt we and I believe we were in stradey park not PYS,
IMO if we were going to do it , it would have been better to take an Anglo Welsh (before it was cancelled) game there last season to see how supported it would have been.

We are better supported all around now though and if it was well advertised etc I don't see how it couldn't be a success but then we risk losing a lot of revenue by doing it unfortunately, cant expect people to buy season tickets, sponsorships etc and then take a game away from our home ground
agreed. add the fact it is no longer an area within our region and it makes it pointless.

Parc y Scarlets is now our home. Crowds on the up. We need to find ways of getting those people from where ever to the parc...not the other way round IMO.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

agreed. add the fact it is no longer an area within our region and it makes it pointless.

Parc y Scarlets is now our home. Crowds on the up. We need to find ways of getting those people from where ever to the parc...not the other way round IMO.

This. Not one team that takes games outside its natural venue makes a success of it. But nobody points these damning stats out.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 1:19pm

The final year of our commitment saw us recruit George north to the academy just before it was taken over by the wru.
we saw a youngster, thought he was worth investing in, and offered him a scholarship at Llandovery and a place in the academy. The fact he was in North Wales is irrelevant. He could have been from the valleys (Stoddart, Rawlins etc).
Same as Cai Evans is from the Blues region, played for Blues schoolboys, but is in the Ospreys academy.

Other example - Luke Charteris...from Tregib - but ended up at the Dragons despite being from Scarlet region.
Carwyn Tuipolotu coming in to our academy from Newcastle...theres plenty of other examples too.

So if another region saw North as a youngster, they could have offered him a deal too. There is no rule so to speak...it only applies to school level, if a player plays for example scarlets u16...until there is an academy contract with Scarlets, there is nothing stopping that player signing for another academy. So it would have been likely that North would have ended up with us anyway - as we have had a fair few RGC players on trials or playing for us in anglo welsh...more so than other regions I believe.

So I wouldn't count signing of North being a part of our commitment there. Put that down to our academy recruitment team at the time.  

I do however stand to be corrected!
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 1:23pm

This. Not one team that takes games outside its natural venue makes a success of it. But nobody points these damning stats out.

Apart from Leinster when they travel all the way to the aviva lol! Not sure what Munster in musgrave is like these days either?
LLANDRE View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLANDRE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 1:26pm
I believe Gravells funded George North to go to Llandovery College
West is Best (Fin gwybod)
GreyScarlet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreyScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 3:03pm
My comment about the Scarlets doing the correct thing was meant to compare with, for example, the Blues and Dragons seemingly totally ignoring the the areas/clubs/supporters in their assigned region.
Virtually perfect rugby - 1992/93
Maple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 7:44pm
Why not play at the Royal Welsh showground, once a year? Excellent facilities, no problem parking, it wopuld be a win, win situation.
Give Blood, Play Rugby
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 9:45pm

The final year of our commitment saw us recruit George north to the academy just before it was taken over by the wru.
we saw a youngster, thought he was worth investing in, and offered him a scholarship at Llandovery and a place in the academy. The fact he was in North Wales is irrelevant. He could have been from the valleys (Stoddart, Rawlins etc).
Same as Cai Evans is from the Blues region, played for Blues schoolboys, but is in the Ospreys academy.

Other example - Luke Charteris...from Tregib - but ended up at the Dragons despite being from Scarlet region.
Carwyn Tuipolotu coming in to our academy from Newcastle...theres plenty of other examples too.

So if another region saw North as a youngster, they could have offered him a deal too. There is no rule so to speak...it only applies to school level, if a player plays for example scarlets u16...until there is an academy contract with Scarlets, there is nothing stopping that player signing for another academy. So it would have been likely that North would have ended up with us anyway - as we have had a fair few RGC players on trials or playing for us in anglo welsh...more so than other regions I believe.

So I wouldn't count signing of North being a part of our commitment there. Put that down to our academy recruitment team at the time.  

I do however stand to be corrected!

Sounds legit, I just seem to remember Pwdin mentioning how glad he was to have got North just before our commitment to North Wales was ending. It was at a meet the coaches session.
CochynAberllefenni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CochynAberllefenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 8:04am
I went to 2 of the games at the racecourse there and at the time I was living in Mid Wales.  From the vague memories I have they were on a Saturday night to suit S4C, and as I read on here a few times, why bust a gut to get to the game when you can watch it in the comfort of your own house.  The population of the North region is also a lot more sparse compared to the one around the M4 corridor.

There was also the fact that we had a full fixture list of club games with us on the Saturday before the games, so depending on where or if you were playing in North Wales it made the logistics of getting to the game impossible!  If they really wanted to get the core rugby supporters there then surely they could have changed the fixtures on that day or held it on another day?
Cofiwch mae West Is Best
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 9:15am
Originally posted by GreyScarlet GreyScarlet wrote:

My comment about the Scarlets doing the correct thing was meant to compare with, for example, the Blues and Dragons seemingly totally ignoring the the areas/clubs/supporters in their assigned region.
In fairness Cardiff Blues did take a game or two to Sardis Road only to be met with chants of "I will never be a blue" by the home fans.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2018 at 9:42am
While I agree with all/most of the above, we shouldn't judge ourselves by what others do, we should be setting the standard. I couldn't care less what the other regions do as they don't even use their clubs properly like we do. My view is that for the U23 games for example, maybe they can go around the region as I have my doubts about who will attend these games anyway due to the usual apathy about any team apart from the `firsts`.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 2:34pm

I obviously missed this - your post (and others) seem to say that NW no longer have any link to any of the regions (presumably, they are linked to Premiership level RGC) - is that right? Must have been some distance away to have missed this 'old news'!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

I obviously missed this - your post (and others) seem to say that NW no longer have any link to any of the regions (presumably, they are linked to Premiership level RGC) - is that right? Must have been some distance away to have missed this 'old news'!
we lost north wales around 2008.

Since the inception of regional rugby, Dragons have their original boundary, Ospreys and Cardiff Blues have had their boundaries extended and Scarlets boundary has lost a fair bit!
Scarlets in effect is now the old Dyfed...but doesn't go as far north as the original dyfed - not sure if Ceredigion comes under North or us.

Edited by PE SA - 30 June 2018 at 3:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic