Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pivac is Gatland's successor - Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:17pm
Would people be so keen on Dwayne Peel if he wasn't an ex-Scarlet? Honestly I know there were some tough circumstances in Ulster this year but you can't act like he has a decent coaching CV.

I think if Pivac and Stephen are both off, we need to take our compensation and bring in a top quality coach from elsewhere, and keep Byron and Ioan. This coaching appointment is massive in terms of our future. We are hell of an attractive proposition.

I'd ask Pivac to head home and draw up a serious shortlist of contenders. Scott Robertson has done a great job at the Crusaders, winning 38 of the last 45 games with a squad that isn't really stuffed with stars (does contain Sam Whitelock, Kieran Read and Izzy Dagg mind )
Sponsored Links

Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Gutted. They’ll be wasted with Wales.

I hope and assume he will only take it if they allow him to do things the way he wants
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:42pm
Today's WRU presser will be mostly about the next Wales coach, but also significant updates on internal restructuring & the new RSA - there'll only be one headline, though.

Today's eventuality was clear from the time Wayne Pivac was appointed head coach - he always said that any leader has a useful shelf-life of 4-5 years, and that time will be up in 2019. Stephen Jones stepping up as Head Coach would have been ideal for continuity and development, but this pair have formed such a strong partnership that they clearly need to be a package.

Do not doubt that the transition and succession plan will have been worked on by Nigel Short and the management board for many months. It may be an unsettling time for supporters, but the long term vision and planning is in place to continue the club's success, and will be backed up with increased budgets from the new 'RSA' (plus compensation for releasing WP & SJ with a year remaining on their contracts), for coaches and players.

Edited by NobbySosban - 09 July 2018 at 12:47pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:52pm
3 people will be at the press conference, as opposed to the 2 people that were scheduled/
N14 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:56pm
Anyone know what time the press conference is scheduled for?
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by N14 N14 wrote:

Anyone know what time the press conference is scheduled for?

1pm
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:00pm
Confirmed.

#WelcomeWayne

Originally posted by WRU WRU wrote:

The 55-year-old former Fiji and Auckland boss - and one-time coaching colleague to both Graham Henry and Steve Hansen - will remain at the 2017 Guinness Pro12 winning Scarlets for the entirety of the 2018/19 season and will only officially come under WRU employment in July 2019.

Gatland, of course, continues in exclusive charge of Wales up to and throughout the RWC, but arrangements for a smooth handover can now be planned in earnest, with the distraction of speculation entirely removed.

Originally posted by Martyn Phillips Martyn Phillips wrote:

"In Wayne Pivac, we have secured the best man for the job and we have done so rigorously and decisively to the collective benefit of all involved in Welsh rugby," said Phillips.

"I am extremely grateful to the Scarlets for their support of this process and their chairman, Nigel Short, in particular who has been first class throughout.

"Both Wayne and Warren and their coaching teams, our international players, supporters and everyone at the Scarlets now have clarity and there is no underestimating the positive benefit to be gained from having the time to plan properly for the future.

"We have avoided the feeding frenzy that can come at the end of a RWC year and we have been meticulous in ensuring we have someone of the talent, experience, charisma and rugby acumen to do the very best possible job for Welsh rugby. The handover process is something we will plan carefully and commence in detail next summer.

"And, for the Scarlets, what coach, whether they are in Wales or anywhere around the rugby playing world, would not relish the opportunity to join a team of such rich history and proven professionalism?

"I would like to think that given the heritage of the Scarlets, their culture, passionate supporters, their track record of success and the quality of their squad that the head coach position will be one of the most sought after in rugby.

"In the meantime, it is vitally important that there are no distractions for Warren, his backroom team and his players and it is equally necessary that Wayne is able to concentrate exclusively on the Scarlets' progression throughout the season ahead."

Originally posted by Wayne Pivac Wayne Pivac wrote:

"To be able to complete the process this far in advance helps the Scarlets, helps Wales and affords me the luxury of time in which to prepare in earnest for one of the biggest jobs in the world game.

"I'll do everything in my power to reward the two men alongside me here today (Gareth Davies and Martyn Phillips) who have put their faith in me, but also to live up to the expectations of the hugely passionate and knowledgeable rugby loving Welsh public.

"It will be an almighty challenge, but one that I'm more than ready for and one that I will relish."

Originally posted by Gareth Davies Gareth Davies wrote:

"You only have to look at the way the Scarlets play and their recent achievements to get excited about the prospect of Wayne Pivac coaching Wales." Ouch<-Gatland

Edited by NobbySosban - 09 July 2018 at 4:43pm
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:01pm
Really pleased for him, gutted as a Scarlet.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by WRU Statement WRU Statement wrote:

It is equally necessary that Wayne is able to concentrate exclusively on the Scarlets' progression throughout the season ahead

Well that's something I guess.

Edited by Fscarlet - 09 July 2018 at 1:07pm
Micro Duck View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Micro Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:11pm
Only 12 months to wait to find out if Stephen is also off!
New KALAMAFONI - BEAST MODE t-shirt now available online.

Plus a new 'Sosban Fach Scoundrels' range.

Paste the link below into your URL:
https://llanelli.teemill.com/
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:11pm
Pleased for Wayne. Gutted personally.
llanelli_boy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llanelli_boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:16pm
Good luck to him. Like the press release said the world is our oyster. It being announced early allows Wayne to 100% concentrate on us doing the double this year and going out on a high.

Be interesting to see what names will be linked with the job(s) (here is me assuming that Stevo will follow him to Wales). I for one would go for a name with no connection to the region (southern or northern hemisphere), with no baggage and no allegiances. Then bringing in ex players as coaches similar to what Wayne has done.  

Similar in our player recruitment I imagine this process will be extremely detailed and thorough and I am 100% confident in whoever the board choose.

thommo View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thommo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:25pm
Well no big surprise. With success you put yourself in the public spotlight. We have to presume that Pivac will take his team with him. With the support of the WRU as we hopefully will receive compensation let's go for another kiwi coach to continue the building process.
ScarletSpiderman View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletSpiderman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:30pm
I’m pleased for Wayne (and Steve is he goes too), but I’m also sad to see him (or them) go. The change in the team has been remarkable since he took over, and last season was in my opinion the best season since regionalism. We have to ensure we get someone who can come in and build on what we have rather than having someone arrive who wants to sweep away the old and restart.
CRYS16 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CRYS16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Looks like the Crys AGM on Thursday will be a quiet night in at the library... not!

Yes, impeccable timing on our part (I made that up).

So, who's coming along on Thursday? Nigel Short & Mark Davies (PRW) are scheduled for an 18:30 start.

Apologies for the early start but both men need to get away by 19:30.
Email info@crys16.cymru with your membership queries!

JOIN CRYS 16 FOR FREE:
http://www.crys16.cymru
T_RICHARDS_94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_RICHARDS_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:36pm
It was always going to happen wasn't it. The perfect man for the job.
So thankful for everything he did for us on and off the pitch. He really did fall in love with the club and our country and I'm so grateful for the memories he's given us. Bath away, Ospreys home, 2017 final in Dublin are my top 3 moments of his reign. Hopefully a lot more to come next season. Strangely it's made me more excited for the season to start so we can give him the send off he deserves.
Roll on Grand Slams with Wales :)
Diolch Wayne
Writer for The Rugby Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic