Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pivac is Gatland's successor - Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:45pm
Stuart Lancaster to be involved at PYS - thoughts?????
Sponsored Links

Tim Opolis View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Opolis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:50pm
The way that Wayne has transformed the Scarlets winning a trophy along the way meant his price tag would rise. He probably had offers over the last 2 years or so. This way he leaves us with the opportunity to become an international coach with succession planning guaranteed. All done very professionally as is the norm with Wayne.

He's a regional coach so will understand the problems we face and hopefully will be more sympathetic than Gatland ever was.

I hope we get the right man to replace him and he will have to be good as there are big shoes to fill. 

But for now we have an exciting season ahead and I'm sure Wayne will have ambitions to finish off with a bang.

As are others, gutted he's leaving, but also pleased for him. He's not hidden his ambitions to be become a test coach and as a Welshman I'm happy we have a great coach at the helm.

Let's ensure we recruit the right people and that we go forward following a smooth transition.
Tymor nesa Duw, plis tymor nesa.
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:52pm
no great shock, well done Wayne! Mixed emotions. Great for Wales but where does that leave Scarlets.

I hope there are plans in place.. Someone to continue with the great work done over last few years at PYS.

Either promote from within, with coaches who have been developed under Wayne ie Steve, Byron, Ioan?

Or if someone is to come in then I hope they continue with our current style, not rip it up and have to start again..
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by CRYS16 CRYS16 wrote:

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Looks like the Crys AGM on Thursday will be a quiet night in at the library... not!

Yes, impeccable timing on our part (I made that up).

So, who's coming along on Thursday? Nigel Short & Mark Davies (PRW) are scheduled for an 18:30 start.

Apologies for the early start but both men need to get away by 19:30.
Would love to but unable to finish work until 17:30 and likely to take a lot longer than an hour to get there at that time of day.
SA14 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Wwwww mince

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SA14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:59pm
Regarding taking his success with us. I don’t think he can. One of his strengths was gelling a team and having a community spirit. How can you do that with players from opposing teams together a few months of the year?
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Didn't they look at him for the Blues but becuase he lives in Leeds, it is quicker for him to fly to Dublin than drive to Cardiff. Sure I read that somewhere. Llanelli would be even more difficult.
Scarlets before Wales
Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:20pm
Really Happy for Pivac..the Brigade in Pivac we trust can be really happy..
For the future I would like to try some dance moves with Robertson
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

Really Happy for Pivac..the Brigade in Pivac we trust can be really happy..
For the future I would like to try some dance moves with Robertson
Agreed, Scott Robertson is my first choice by far. His CV is impressive:
Canterbury Head Coach - ITM Cup Winners 2013, 2015.
New Zealand u20s - World Cup Winners 2015.
Crusaders Head Coach - Super Rugby Champions 2017.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:42pm
Scott Robertson would be everyones first choice i think but if cash is an issue...i wonder if Aaron Mauger will be cheaper.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Scott Robertson would be everyones first choice i think but if cash is an issue...i wonder if Aaron Mauger will be cheaper.
Agree but I think it may be worth sacrificing picking up a top player for getting a top coach, especially looking at the impact Pivac had. The playing budget is set to go up by about a million apparently, it's worth taking some of that to make a top candidate a really good offer I think.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:58pm
Huge congrats to Wayne on his appointment.

No doubt in my mind Stephen will follow and maybe Byron too. Both richly deserved promotions if confirmed

The good news is that there won’t be a shortage of top notch candidacy lining up for the Scarlets role, and there’s a good chance for a decent transition.

Edited by Wil Chips - 09 July 2018 at 3:00pm
shocker View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 2:59pm
Rhymes with clucking bell
cymraes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cymraes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:16pm
Congratulations to Wayne, totally deserves it.  Part of me was hoping they'd go for someone else so we could keep him and rant about the unfairness of him being overlooked!
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Didn't they look at him for the Blues but becuase he lives in Leeds, it is quicker for him to fly to Dublin than drive to Cardiff. Sure I read that somewhere. Llanelli would be even more difficult.

Pembrey airport simples
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:19pm

Scarlets issue statement

Here’s the full statement from Scarlets general manager Jon Daniels...

First and foremost, on behalf of everyone at the Scarlets, I would like to extend our congratulations to Wayne on his appointment. It will be a proud moment for us all when he takes to the helm as Wales Head Coach

“Clearly, finding Wayne’s replacement will be a major priority in the coming months and we are grateful to Wayne and the Welsh Rugby Union for keeping us updated, in an entirely professional and transparent manner, throughout the process.

“Over the last four years Wayne has facilitated the continuation of Scarlets’ development. Being consistently competitive in both the PRO14 and in Europe, has been our aim now for three or four years and will continue to do so.

“We had a one, three and five-year strategy; winning the PRO12 in 2017 was probably a year ahead of where we had forecast to be and that is down to the hard work of the group, of the people involved, to get us to that stage earlier than planned, but that just shows the quality across every department.

“The forthcoming season will be hugely significantly for us all at the Scarlets and ensuring that we build on the momentum and successes from previous seasons will be key. We would also like to be in a position to ensure that Wayne finishes his tenure, here at Parc y Scarlets, with silverware.”

“Having twelve months to find a replacement is something of a luxury in professional sport but as a result we’re now able to follow our detailed recruitment process to ensure we find a Head Coach with ambition and aspiration to continue our rugby performance strategy.

“We are extremely proud of the established environment we have here at the Scarlets and this will not only allow us to continue to be competitive this coming season but we’ll also be in a strong and stable position in readiness to welcome the new Head Coach in twelve months time.

“I know Wayne will agree, we have a strong team here now, of coaches, players and backroom staff. There are a number of people who have contributed to our success under Wayne’s guidance and will continue to contribute and push the region forward this season and after his departure. I am confident we are strong enough to continue to thrive moving forward.”

mammamammon View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mammamammon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:19pm
Great for Pivac but vital that he doesn't take all our coaches with him. At least full time. Succession is needed. It'll do nothing for Wales if the Scarlets go backwards

He can Have Boris Johnson who's looking for a job
mammamammon

www.hopemalawiuk.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic