Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Coach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 8:51am
Originally posted by ScarletBear ScarletBear wrote:

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by totallybiasedscarlet totallybiasedscarlet wrote:

Surely we have to go all out to make Stevo head coach. We can look at whether or not we need any further support staff in place to make it work. I can't think of many better for the job to be fair.
There’s a credible argument that he’s a better number 2. I think he will be going with Wayne

I know what you mean, but I am unsure and maybe he is too.

Wilson does not want to be head coach. I am of a similar character - always prefer to be the loyal #2.

Stevo has to think about a few things:
What is best for his family? Career, money and proximity to his home.
Does he want to be a head coach or attack coach?
Does he prefer day-to-day development with a region or shorter but more intense tactics and play development at international level?
Does he want to stay with Wayne more than be head coach of the Scarlets?
He can perform the Wales attack coach job, but can he be a head coach YET?
Will he ever get this chance with Wales again?
Less important no , but would it lead to being Wales Head Coach when Pivac moves on? Lion coaching opportunities?

It's obviously a big decision for him but in our favour:

He gets to be Head Coach of his own club.
Scarlets coaches have gone on to coach Wales & the Lions over the years so if he performs well here he'll have a great platform to move up.
He is well liked and supported here and will get a superb opportunity for development.
There's nothing to stop him helping out Wales/Lions on a temporary basis as part of his development.
Sponsored Links

scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 9:19am

Surely we have to go all out to make Stevo head coach. We can look at whether or not we need any further support staff in place to make it work. I can't think of many better for the job to be fair.
There’s a credible argument that he’s a better number 2. I think he will be going with Wayne

Wilson does not want to be head coach. I am of a similar character - always prefer to be the loyal #2.

Does he prefer day-to-day development with a region or shorter but more intense tactics and play development at international level?
Less important no , but would it lead to being Wales Head Coach when Pivac moves on? Lion coaching opportunities?

Scarlets coaches have gone on to coach Wales & the Lions over the years so if he performs well here he'll have a great platform to move up.
He is well liked and supported here and will get a superb opportunity for development.
There's nothing to stop him helping out Wales/Lions on a temporary basis as part of his development.
Agree with everything that’s been said but I’m going to play devils advocate again. Is Stephen the best man for the Scarlets job?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
LacksDrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LacksDrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 9:57am

[/QUOTE] Agree with everything that’s been said but I’m going to play devils advocate again. Is Stephen the best man for the Scarlets job?[/QUOTE]

The more I think about, the more I think Jones should follow Wayne into the Wales set up. It’s surprisingly rare in sports that when a successful coach leaves a club/franchise etc and the heralded assistant takes over, that the previous success continues. As good a job as Steve has clearly done with the attack, no one should forget the input Wayne has in facilitating the environment to allow that to happen.

I’m becoming more and more convinced that the Scarlets board (hopefully with the help of the WRU) should go all out for Scott Robertson. It would take some persuasion and a pretty pence but I reckon it’d be worth it.

Jones could always come back to Scarlets after a period as assistant with Wales... and if successful move towards the international job after that (he’s still extremely young).
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:06am
Any idea how much this Scott Robertson is on?
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:10am
1. Stevo is going with Wayne. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't
2. I wouldn't get hung up on "big name" coaches like Rennie or Robertson. My guess is we'll be looking to find someone who fits the culture and style we have, rather than a famous coach with another distinct set of values.
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

2. I wouldn't get hung up on "big name" coaches like Rennie or Robertson. My guess is we'll be looking to find someone who fits the culture and style we have, rather than a famous coach with another distinct set of values.
Edit: Having said that, I've long admired the Crusaders..
But any Super Rugby Coach would need the assistance fro a really good defence coach. They don't really prioritise it as much in SH competitions
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:08pm
First of all, congratulations to Wayne on his selection. Nice that it’s been so early, as we now have 12 months to find a replacement.
My only concern about the situation is that there has been no firming up of his coaching team. Here is my problem with it, in an ideal world Stevo would move up to head coach (if he wanted to and if he felt ready to do so), and the club would then have plenty of time to search for an attack coach to replace him. Stevo would then have an opportunity to coach Wales after the 2023 World Cup, as Pivac has stated on numerous occasions that a head coach job should be for no more than 4-5 years.
However, if Wayne intends to take Stevo and maybe a few others with him next year then we need to know now, as finding a whole new coaching setup is a completely different kettle of fish, and would take some time and effort to sort out.
I’ve I had to pick a new coach, it would have to be VanHool, he’s the Rolls Royce of coaches, very stylish and classy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LacksDrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Any idea how much this Scott Robertson is on?

It’s been quite difficult to find out much info but the best I could do is from 2008 (which isn’t ideal I know). NZ Super Rugby coaches were then on a banding system paying between $180,000 & $230,000 (approx £65,000 to ££80,000). I would imagine things have increased over the last decade... but Super Rugby was a far more successful competition back then too. For arguments sake, you would have to think Robertson would be right at the top of the NZ Super Rugby coaching band and judging by the way sporting salaries have increased during the last decade you’d have to think his salary would be somewhere between £110,000 and £130,000.

Bit of guess work involved in coming to today’s figure but I wouldn’t imagine it would be any more than that as I’ve been overly generous in my estimates.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

First of all, congratulations to Wayne on his selection. Nice that it’s been so early, as we now have 12 months to find a replacement.
My only concern about the situation is that there has been no firming up of his coaching team. Here is my problem with it, in an ideal world Stevo would move up to head coach (if he wanted to and if he felt ready to do so), and the club would then have plenty of time to search for an attack coach to replace him. Stevo would then have an opportunity to coach Wales after the 2023 World Cup, as Pivac has stated on numerous occasions that a head coach job should be for no more than 4-5 years.
However, if Wayne intends to take Stevo and maybe a few others with him next year then we need to know now, as finding a whole new coaching setup is a completely different kettle of fish, and would take some time and effort to sort out.
I’ve I had to pick a new coach, it would have to be VanHool, he’s the Rolls Royce of coaches, very stylish and classy.

You might find that if we bring in a new head coach from outside he'd want to bring in his own coaching team anyway.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:06pm

Agree with everything that’s been said but I’m going to play devils advocate again. Is Stephen the best man for the Scarlets job?

I don't think we'll find many better. If he does want it, I think we should look for someone with experience to come in on the support staff.

Originally posted by Wasp Wasp wrote:

This - very much so in the event that Stevo goes with Wayne.

Originally posted by Legendinmybathroom Legendinmybathroom wrote:

Definitely my preferred option and probably a sensible way of looking at things. If we get an experienced coach in to support Stevo and hold the fort, then Stevo could go on summer tours or be involved in the international periods if there was a way of making it work. I think that would probably be the best outcome IMHO.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:23pm
Whilst I can understand the wisdom and logic of proper succession planning,a year is to my mind ,too long in the public forum as it creates all these uncertainties about who is going with him or staying. Can be very distracting to the coaches as well,when you have your day job for another year. I wish it had been defiered to the new year .

We shall just have to try and concentrate on this season and forget about the rest. I assume that the coaching support won’t be sorted for while and discussion with the WRU will take place on support coaches . He might even be asked to keep Robin or Howley etc for all we know or bring in one of his NZ coaches especially if say Steve is offered an opportunity at Scarlets. No point in worrying or guessing as there is nothing we can do about it. I am sure the end result will be good for us.

Edited by reesytheexile - 14 July 2018 at 1:25pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LacksDrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

No point in worrying or guessing as there is nothing we can do about it. I am sure the end result will be good for us.

I do find the speculation fun though in situations such as these. Me and my work colleagues have been doing the same thing in regards to Gatland’s successor since he announced his 2019 exit back in 2015/6. A bit of speculation keeps things interesting, particularly in these times between seasons.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 2:07pm
Stevo to move up, with Raygun King as attack coach returning from neef. Thats my choice.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 2:07pm
I am not convinced by Peel, I would want to see him tested somewhere other than a troubled Ulster 1st.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LacksDrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Stevo to move up, with Raygun King as attack coach returning from neef. Thats my choice.

I do like the idea of bringing King back... also, although I think Byron will remain at Scarlets, IF he does go with Wayne I think it could be a good opportunity to get Welsh league legend Kieron Cunningham involved with the Union game.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 3:31pm
What on earth is it with this club and the obsession with bringing back ex players..

I’ve seen Peel and King both mentioned now and whilst both have been superb players, both has achieved exactly zilch coaching wise (so far).

If they weren’t ex Scarlets and people suggested bringing back an Ulster attack coach who presided over a thoroughly average backline who had 5 teams score more league tries than them, or a centre from Neath playing semi pro rugby with no coaching experience they’d be laughed off this forum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic