Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Off to a Flyer !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Wasn't it our second game last year Ulster away and we lost that one? Always a tough game there, our home record proves it won't be so easy for Leinster on away soil.
Threw it away if you remember. To be honest, we should have won it with a bit more composure.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Sponsored Links

Airdaa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:49am
I don't think that you can rely on O''Driscoll dismissal of Ulster as a Basket Case. Things have moved on since then and it is looking more positive. There. May not in many people's eyes any spectacular signings but the Fans seem to be reasonably happy with both the new signings player wise and coaching wise. Yes our new head coach is still with the SRU ( who seem to be due a very stormy AGM this weekend) but Easterbyis standing in for him and the addition of Jarred Payne as Defence Coach is very welcome. He is a very shrewd footballer and held in high esteem here. They have also brought on board Daniel Sopher who you probably haven't heard of but he is a NewZealander who has been on the local seen both as a club coach and as a very successful Schools coach.
A similar background from which Joe Schmidt came from in fact many here were touting him for the Head Coach job he is held in such esteem.
Also Marcel Cotezee has returned from injury and is Training hard with the squad an he could make a big impact.
So if Scarlets are to get off to a flyer they may have to wait until the meet Leinster at home as Kingspan may not be putting out the welcome mat as expected.
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Airdaa Airdaa wrote:

I don't think that you can rely on O''Driscoll dismissal of Ulster as a Basket Case. Things have moved on since then and it is looking more positive. There. May not in many people's eyes any spectacular signings but the Fans seem to be reasonably happy with both the new signings player wise and coaching wise. Yes our new head coach is still with the SRU ( who seem to be due a very stormy AGM this weekend) but Easterbyis standing in for him and the addition of Jarred Payne as Defence Coach is very welcome. He is a very shrewd footballer and held in high esteem here. They have also brought on board Daniel Sopher who you probably haven't heard of but he is a NewZealander who has been on the local seen both as a club coach and as a very successful Schools coach.
A similar background from which Joe Schmidt came from in fact many here were touting him for the Head Coach job he is held in such esteem.
Also Marcel Cotezee has returned from injury and is Training hard with the squad an he could make a big impact.
So if Scarlets are to get off to a flyer they may have to wait until the meet Leinster at home as Kingspan may not be putting out the welcome mat as expected.

I would expect an improvement on last year. That last game v Ospreys was dreadfull and said a lot of how poor they were also. 

I think Ulster will be tougher this time, but we were a far stronger outfit at the end of last season compared to when we went out to Ulster at the start. Shall be an interesting battle. A home loss 1st up would put any new coaching set up on the back foot. Pressure is on Ulster.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 2:37pm
Yes an interesting start. Both sides at full strength we should win so will depend on selections. I would imagine Herring, Henderson & Stockdale might miss the game & we will probably be without Cubby, Rob, Cawdor & Rhys along with our longer term injuries Wil, Aaron & Jonathan. 

Last season was a bit of a nightmare for Ulster much of it unavoidable. They are a top team with top facilities and I imagine they will be looking forward to starting with a clean slate. Having Easterby at the helm should provide much needed clarity. It will be a very tough opener.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 2:50pm

Why would it be? What coaching qualifications has he got?
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 5:56pm
Bernard Jackman is being lined up to be put at Ulster by the IRFU. They will want him in house soon as they did Beirne. 
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

Bernard Jackman is being lined up to be put at Ulster by the IRFU. They will want him in house soon as they did Beirne. 
Where’d you hear that?
I’m surely not the only one who fails to see what all the fuss is about Jackman..?
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2018 at 6:47pm

Thanks for that.

Good to have your contributions.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 10:01am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Thanks for that.

Good to have your contributions.

I think Ulster away may be our toughest test of the first 6. They are a bit of an unknown quantity this season, there is the Ravenhill factor and the blindness it seems to inflict on visiting referees, we are going to be bedding in quite a few new arrivals and the fact that the first game is always a bit of a lottery. Either way I would expect us to go 5/6 or 6/6 leading up to the first tranche of European games. That would represent a good start to the season.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yes an interesting start. Both sides at full strength we should win so will depend on selections. I would imagine Herring, Henderson & Stockdale might miss the game & we will probably be without Cubby, Rob, Cawdor & Rhys along with our longer term injuries Wil, Aaron & Jonathan. 

Last season was a bit of a nightmare for Ulster much of it unavoidable. They are a top team with top facilities and I imagine they will be looking forward to starting with a clean slate. Having Easterby at the helm should provide much needed clarity. It will be a very tough opener.
My memory is going, what is Wills injury? Didn't realise. Will Asquith be available?
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 11:46am
Ulster certainly endured a hellish season, on and off the pitch, and they seem to be going into the new one with some short-term measures in place, with Easterby temporarily stepping in until, well, whenever Dan McFarland shows up.

However good Easters is in pre-season (and it will help that he knows Dwayne Peel so well), the squad will be aware that he won't be calling the shots for long, and McFarland may have a different focus. If, however, the senior players react to last season's trials and tribulations and want to rebuild the club's culture & make a statement of intent, it could make them a formidable unit to face at their home to start the season. As ever, can't wait to find out. Tongue

ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by Maple Maple wrote:

Then what is our strongest XV ?

I have it in my mind but I would llike to see Kassiem, Blade and Clayton play first in the NH before making judgement. 
Scarlets before Wales
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

You jest, Sir.

Surely?
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Airdaa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2018 at 7:00pm
Henry Spieght signs for Ulster from the Brumbies on a short time medical joker contract until the 31st December 2018
KID A View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KID A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2018 at 9:18am

Henry Spieght signs for Ulster from the Brumbies on a short time medical joker contract until the 31st December 2018

I wonder what reception I'd get if I posted Scarlets squad updates on the Ulster forum. Lovely bunch over there.
sgsmorgan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
LAVERYS ON THE RIGHT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsmorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2018 at 10:16am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

I wonder what reception I'd get if I posted Scarlets squad updates on the Ulster forum. Lovely bunch over there.
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic