Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tigers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tigers
    Posted: 07 August 2018 at 1:41pm
Keeping up to date on the tigers and it appears we may have an advantage in the front row given their departure / arrival differential.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45095468
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Sponsored Links

Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2018 at 2:57pm
I think this could be the 1st time since 2002 that we will have a front row to compete with them. But I fancy us to dominate them for once this time round.

Our front row are extremly under rated, also our depth coming off the bench too.
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I think this could be the 1st time since 2002 that we will have a front row to compete with them. But I fancy us to dominate them for once this time round.

Our front row are extremly under rated, also our depth coming off the bench too.

Totally agree, I think we can match the majority of sides in the NH.
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 8:37am
Huge year for Ken I reckon (and Rob and Samson)

I've watched quite a few games from Thomson (not so much from Cassiem) and although he is a very good player we will miss Barclay's leadership. Looking at our senior players and who can fill that role, I think Ken stands out. 
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

Huge year for Ken I reckon (and Rob and Samson)

I've watched quite a few games from Thomson (not so much from Cassiem) and although he is a very good player we will miss Barclay's leadership. Looking at our senior players and who can fill that role, I think Ken stands out. 

I agree we will miss Barclay but we will also miss Scott (and Emyr- watch the last 10 minutes of the semi final win over Leinster- he led the forwards through that 10 minutes). We have had an outstanding leadership group for a couple of years now rather than a particular captain. To use a cliche- "all singing from the same hymn sheet" and that is a big tribute to the individuals concerned and to the coaches. We still have Ken, Hadleigh and Foxy of that group but it is time for the next generation to step up- Cawdor, Jake, Rob etcetera. This is leadership by quiet word, a glance and example. Not the decision making that we expect from our flyhalves.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 12:04pm
Completely thatvthe experience of Barclay, Scott and Emyr will be missed.
Leadership we have Ken obviously as captain. We have lost in essence 3 of our vice captains. When ken wasn’t around, Scott had the arm band. In previous seasons it was Barclay. When Scott and ken weren’t around and Barclay Emyr has the arm band. I liked him as a captain and have no doubt he will go on to become a successful coach. Seems to have the minerals.

With ken, halfpenny, Parkes, Foxy etc all likely to be away with wales, it’s the leadership during those times that will be key. Who do we go for? Steff Hughes is highly thought of. But he will need to be surrounded by leaders as well. I have no idea how the new recruits are in this area. Bullbring? Kruger? McNicholl? Can these be be turned to? Next season we will need even more from them seeing that the World Cup goes up to until Christmas so we will be without our internationals possibly til January by the time they come back, break, training to get back in the swing of our set up which will be under a new coach. Leaders will play a HUGE role this season and next season. Areas we need to nail 100% correct from the off.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Completely thatvthe experience of Barclay, Scott and Emyr will be missed.
Leadership we have Ken obviously as captain. We have lost in essence 3 of our vice captains. When ken wasn’t around, Scott had the arm band. In previous seasons it was Barclay. When Scott and ken weren’t around and Barclay Emyr has the arm band. I liked him as a captain and have no doubt he will go on to become a successful coach. Seems to have the minerals.

With ken, halfpenny, Parkes, Foxy etc all likely to be away with wales, it’s the leadership during those times that will be key. Who do we go for? Steff Hughes is highly thought of. But he will need to be surrounded by leaders as well. I have no idea how the new recruits are in this area. Bullbring? Kruger? McNicholl? Can these be be turned to? Next season we will need even more from them seeing that the World Cup goes up to until Christmas so we will be without our internationals possibly til January by the time they come back, break, training to get back in the swing of our set up which will be under a new coach. Leaders will play a HUGE role this season and next season. Areas we need to nail 100% correct from the off.

Very good points made. Pivac likes a local preferably Welsh speaking captain. Looking at our potential team during International breaks :-

15. Clayton 14. Jonny 13. Fonotia 12. Steff 11. Asquith 10. Dan 9. Evans
8. Casseim 7. Cubby 6. Blade 5. Cummins 4. Bulbring 3. Werne 2. Ryan 1. Dylan.

Potential leaders there are Steff & Ryan. Hopefully Tom Phillips can put his injuries behind him and step up as he is another with leadership experience who fits the bill. 
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 12:23pm
It will be nice to play the Tigers with a decent chance, so many years we have gone to Welford road and come up short, either through injury crisis, poor game management or just a poor squad. Only once did we really push them and David McHugh disallowed a perfectly good try to deny us the win.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 12:39pm
I think our 2 overseas backrow signings will bring a lot of leadership. having heard cassiem talk in his presser the other week he came over as a calm experienced player. its massive losing jon/scott as leaders but there are enough experienced players now in the squad to take us forward.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 12:57pm
GPR-----Cubby will be away as well!!!!
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

GPR-----Cubby will be away as well!!!!

Dai38 - I am fully with you on that but I have this feeling, with Gatland in charge, that Tipuric and Jenkins will be first choice 7's. I have been one of Cubby's most vociferous supporters as the most complete 7 in Welsh rugby; in fact I would go further & say European rugby but I seem to be in the minority.

Cubby will get his International reward once Wayne is in charge I have no doubt.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 1:49pm
I was lucky to be in Argentina, and what I saw there was a new Cubby, a less flamboyant one maybe, but still a pain in the backside to the opposition while popping up frequently with really good support play, I think he's convinced the coaching staff that he should be in the squad.

I honestly see Jenkins and maybe Tupuric even used as blindsides hence my somewhat biased thoughts that he'll be in the squad, especially with Shingler out.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 1:52pm
Rightly or wrongly, I'd not be surprised to see the Welsh back row Garland goes for this season as 6 Moriarty 8 Falatau, 7 Navidi. Especially against Ireland when he will want strong gain-line tacklers.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 1:58pm
May well be but we have horses for courses now, and can easily mix & match, so that is why I feel Cubby is needed, I also feel he's pushed in front of Tupuric after the summer as he has shown that he can really get stuck in as well as show a backs skill with ball in hand, and do it when it counts, not in a BABA's game.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2018 at 2:01pm
back to topic, I think we have a genuine chance up there against Leicester as well as ulster. racing will be very very tough. we play like we can play we can certainly get some results in this group although obviously all the matches will be hard
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
henry_winkler View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Don’t believe a word......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henry_winkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 8:51am
For me Navidi is just a poor man's Lydiate, all he does is tackle.
If he's in it should be at 6 but I think Ellis will be 6 with Moriarty injured or benched
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic