Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tigers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 9:40am
For me I wouldn't swap Cubby for anyone in the UK or Europe. If you want your 7 to be a 7 he does it all, and in terms of physicality punches above his weight. Agree Navidi is more of a 6, a very good one at that. Tips is superb in open play but his turnover work is overrated, he is not prolific at winning turnover ball, and modern rugby is so much about turnover ball.
Sponsored Links

Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 9:47am
We shouldn’t underestimate Leicester. They’re a quality team in times of change. I’m very confident against almost all teams in Europe atm. The only ones I’m a bit cautious about is Leinster and saracens. And we won’t bevplaying them until the semi and final
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 9:48am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

For me I wouldn't swap Cubby for anyone in the UK or Europe. If you want your 7 to be a 7 he does it all, and in terms of physicality punches above his weight. Agree Navidi is more of a 6, a very good one at that. Tips is superb in open play but his turnover work is overrated, he is not prolific at winning turnover ball, and modern rugby is so much about turnover ball.

I couldn't agree more. Modern day 7's have to be able to compete very hard at the breakdown but must also be able to act as a link player requiring skills possessed by centres. Tipuric and Cubby are the only 7's that have played in Welsh rugby over the past 5 years that possess these link skills. Cubby is also one of the best breakdown players around, much better than Tipuric in my opinion, so should be the automatic choice at 7 for Wales.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 1:20pm
I'd have Cubby at 7 but just saying I think Gats will go Moriarty, Falatau, Navidi especially against Ireland.

Got to say though that I think Navidi was immense last year and if he plays the same this year there's a strong case to get him in there somewhere. But as we know we are blessed as a nation with great back row options and anyone of Cubby, Jenkins, Tuperic, Navidi and Young would walk into the England team at 7 if they were English
ScarletBear View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by henry_winkler henry_winkler wrote:

For me Navidi is just a poor man's Lydiate, all he does is tackle.
If he's in it should be at 6 but I think Ellis will be 6 with Moriarty injured or benched

Sounds like you have that the wrong way around. Lydiate only tackles. Navidi mad some good yards in the AIs.
Scarlets before Wales
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 5:48pm
I think that is tough on Navidi, he has played 6 7 and 8 to a very good standard. He is far more of a tackler. as good as Ellis at 7 but with the brain to play anywhere across the back row. for these reasons he offers far more than chop tackle lydiate.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 7:05pm
For me personally I hate the way we underestimate our future opposition,out of curiosity when did we last beat Leicester in a meaningful game?
SAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 7:48pm
Why are we talking about tigers . We owe them big time . Just get on the field and do a job on them .
as all the coaches left stradey , bound for nottingham , a sign on the m4 at hendy said , please can the last person close the door behind them , memories
ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 8:30pm
[QUOTE=ladram] For me personally I hate the way we underestimate our future opposition,out of curiosity when did we last beat Leicester in a meaningful game?[/QUOTE

Probably at Stradey in 2002.
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

[QUOTE=ladram]
For me personally I hate the way we underestimate our future opposition,out of curiosity when did we last beat Leicester in a meaningful game?[/QUOTE

If my memory is right . We beat them at PYS in champions cup a few seasons ago when king cubby made his debut and won man of the match after one of our players (cant remember who) broke his arm in the first 15 minutes
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

[QUOTE=ladram]
For me personally I hate the way we underestimate our future opposition,out of curiosity when did we last beat Leicester in a meaningful game?[/QUOTE

If my memory is right . We beat them at PYS in champions cup a few seasons ago when king cubby made his debut and won man of the match after one of our players (cant remember who) broke his arm in the first 15 minutes

I recall we beat them possibly in the Anglo Welsh or similar few years back when Cockers was coach and he shortly poached Owen Williams of us !!
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

For me personally I hate the way we underestimate our future opposition,out of curiosity when did we last beat Leicester in a meaningful game?
Your right Ladram-confidence is one thing but blinkered naivety is another. Confused 
Havard Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Havard Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2018 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

[QUOTE=ladram]

I recall we beat them possibly in the Anglo Welsh or similar few years back when Cockers was coach and he shortly poached Owen Williams of us !!

The Anglo Welsh win was 2011, but we beat them 15 - 3 in October 2014. They smashed us back at their home ground then if I remember correctly.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 6:57am

[QUOTE=ladram] For me personally I hate the way we underestimate our future opposition,out of curiosity when did we last beat Leicester in a meaningful game?[/QUOTE

great day.
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 7:53am
it was a great day beating a quality quality team. tigers are not of that standard at the moment but they have a very good squad and a tremendous set up and tradition. do not underestimate any English side. but it would be nice to win up there Tongue
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 9:02am

[QUOTE=ladram]

Was it not Scott? He was subbed early on. And IIRC Ball got injured or fell ill right before the game too.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic