Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tigers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 9:37am
Originally posted by Havard Fan Havard Fan wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

[QUOTE=ladram]
For me personally I hate the way we underestimate our future opposition,out of curiosity when did we last beat Leicester in a meaningful game?[/QUOTE

Probably at Stradey in 2002.

If my memory is right . We beat them at PYS in champions cup a few seasons ago when king cubby made his debut and won man of the match after one of our players (cant remember who) broke his arm in the first 15 minutes

I recall we beat them possibly in the Anglo Welsh or similar few years back when Cockers was coach and he shortly poached Owen Williams of us !!

The Anglo Welsh win was 2011, but we beat them 15 - 3 in October 2014. They smashed us back at their home ground then if I remember correctly.

Sounds right. I remember some crowing  from Scarlets fans as he walked down from the stand towards the end at Cockers who gave his own sarcy stick back as you would expect of someone as feisty as him -its always the little un's you know Wink He got his own back of course and more in the next game plus Owen Williams. He had the last laugh for sure!

Edited by reesytheexile - 10 August 2018 at 9:38am
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 10:43am
Frankly there are no teams in Europe that can afford to take anyone lightly even Leinster. One of the true signs of a top side is that they never underestimate anyone & turn up with total focus. That remains a weakness in our squad - we have the odd moments where we are off the pace & we pay the price. Two games against Benetton last season spring to mind along with Ulster away.

Leicester Tigers are not the side they were thats for sure - a fully focused Scarlet team fully loaded should come out on top both home and away. As ever the away game will be interesting. Of all this years venues Welford Road is the rugby experience I would choose.
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Exkixu Exkixu wrote:

[QUOTE=ladram]
For me personally I hate the way we underestimate our future opposition,out of curiosity when did we last beat Leicester in a meaningful game?[/QUOTE

If my memory is right . We beat them at PYS in champions cup a few seasons ago when king cubby made his debut and won man of the match after one of our players (cant remember who) broke his arm in the first 15 minutes

Was it not Scott? He was subbed early on. And IIRC Ball got injured or fell ill right before the game too.
Pretty sure it was a Rich Kelly, broke his forearm and played on for a significant amount of time. Their winger messed up and gifted us a try. Remember it being a cracking atmosphere.
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 11:42am
Leicester improved a lot during the end of the season, and as per talk within the English rugby scene a team everyone hates to play against. 

Scarlets must be focused, and concentrate or we will loose, so to write them off before a ball is passed/kicked is foolish, do we remember Dec 2017,  2 minutes to go and we were out of Europe, Leicester are a far better team than Treviso.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 11:48am
top side Leicester with great support. old fashion rugby club. looking forward to going there and them visiting us. will be incredibly tough both games (as will all the pool games). but if we cant be up for these and show confidence then we shouldn't be playing in the tournament.
Cant Wait!!!
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

[QUOTE=ladram]

Was it not Scott? He was subbed early on. And IIRC Ball got injured or fell ill right before the game too.
Pretty sure it was a Rich Kelly, broke his forearm and played on for a significant amount of time. Their winger messed up and gifted us a try. Remember it being a cracking atmosphere.

Yeah I was at that game, it wasn't high end stuff on the field but the atmosphere was really great. 
I think you are right about Kelly, but Scott definately left the field very early as well. Coupled with Ball not making it into the team I remember thinking our chances had gone down pretty fast 20 minutes into the game.
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 12:54pm
Just trying to work out what their first choice team likely is, everyone being fit/available?

1) Genge 2) Polota-Nau 3) Cole 4) Will Spencer 5) Kitchener 6) Kalamafoni 7) Brendan O’Connor 8) David Denton.
9) Ben Youngs 10) George Ford 11) Veainu 12) Toomua 13) Tuilagi 14) Thompstone 15) Tait

We can’t underestimate a side that can put a team like that out.

Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 1:38pm

Just trying to work out what their first choice team likely is, everyone being fit/available?

1) Genge 2) Polota-Nau 3) Cole 4) Will Spencer 5) Kitchener 6) Kalamafoni 7) Brendan O’Connor 8) David Denton.
9) Ben Youngs 10) George Ford 11) Veainu 12) Toomua 13) Tuilagi 14) Thompstone 15) Tait

I guess we have to ask the question which of the above team would we select in our first 15? Putting away my rose coloured specs i would still only identify Genge, Cole, Denton, Ford & Veainu as players who would make our 23 with only Denton & Veainu possible starters.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 4:13pm

Genge is out long term

Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
157cb View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 157cb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Genge is out long term

Toomua has returned to Austrailia I think ?
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 5:04pm

Agree completely. Leicester will be a very tough nut to crack
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
John View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by 157cb 157cb wrote:

Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Genge is out long term

Toomua has returned to Austrailia I think ?

For the rugby championship. Tigers are apparently insisting that he returns to them for the rest weekends. So Toomua is going to clock up an air mile or six (hundred thousand). The primary victim of this club v country spat is going to be the player but because he suffers, both his teams will as well.
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 6:37pm

[QUOTE=ladram]

Yes, it was Richard Kelly with the injury that ended his career.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2018 at 8:49pm
Anybody who thinks that Leicester (and Racing & Ulster) are easy opponents is a fool.
diego6754 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diego6754 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 10:41am
Leicester are always going to be 'strong' all the Aviva sides are. They do not have the power or class they once had though and we really should be looking at a home win and nicking the away fixture, same probably applies for Ulster. Leicester are one of those 'the sum is not greater than the individual parts teams' at the moment. Genge is out, Tuilagi is made of china, Ford is over rated and struggles without the safety net of Farrell outside him. They are also getting the reputation of having a bit of a soft under belly if you can get on top of them early. Tough nut but no fear factor.

Go through the Leicester team above and ask yourself how many get in to our first 15. I'd have Cole and that is probably about it and even that is a toss up. Maybe Denton but that's without having a proper look at Cassiem, I get the feeling probably not. If fit Tuilagi is some player but i'd prefer Foxy, Toomua is a class operator but i'd take Parkesy. I'd have Rob over Genge and definitely Patch over Ford. The rest are almost no brainers. I'm not saying they don't have quality, i'm saying we have a lot more.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 11:00am
Originally posted by diego6754 diego6754 wrote:

Leicester are always going to be 'strong' all the Aviva sides are. They do not have the power or class they once had though and we really should be looking at a home win and nicking the away fixture, same probably applies for Ulster. Leicester are one of those 'the sum is not greater than the individual parts teams' at the moment. Genge is out, Tuilagi is made of china, Ford is over rated and struggles without the safety net of Farrell outside him. They are also getting the reputation of having a bit of a soft under belly if you can get on top of them early. Tough nut but no fear factor.

Go through the Leicester team above and ask yourself how many get in to our first 15. I'd have Cole and that is probably about it and even that is a toss up. Maybe Denton but that's without having a proper look at Cassiem, I get the feeling probably not. If fit Tuilagi is some player but i'd prefer Foxy, Toomua is a class operator but i'd take Parkesy. I'd have Rob over Genge and definitely Patch over Ford. The rest are almost no brainers. I'm not saying they don't have quality, i'm saying we have a lot more.

I agree as stated above. Maybe 5 of the named Leicester team above in our 23 with 1 or max 2 starting. Nobody should be expecting any easy rides in Europe - the 20 teams are after all the cream of the crop. Dare I say it the easy fixtures occur where the Ospreys are playing!!!!!

Any of the 20 teams will be very difficult to beat on their own turf; as ever the last 8 will come from the teams that can perform away. Our recent form should give us great confidence - Munster & Leinster in 2017; Bath & Glasgow last season. It is not arrogance or over confidence to suggest that we can go to all 3 of our opponents & win. It will take a huge effort and total concentration from minute one but it is achievable. Gone are the days where we were looked upon as cannon fodder & long may that continue. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic