Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tigers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

Just trying to work out what their first choice team likely is, everyone being fit/available?

1) Genge 2) Polota-Nau 3) Cole 4) Will Spencer 5) Kitchener 6) Kalamafoni 7) Brendan O’Connor 8) David Denton.
9) Ben Youngs 10) George Ford 11) Veainu 12) Toomua 13) Tuilagi 14) Thompstone 15) Tait

We can’t underestimate a side that can put a team like that out.

I guess we have to ask the question which of the above team would we select in our first 15? Putting away my rose coloured specs i would still only identify Genge, Cole, Denton, Ford & Veainu as players who would make our 23 with only Denton & Veainu possible starters.
Have to disagree here- Cole, Denton, Ben Youngs (on his day), Veainu, Tuilagi would all push for a starting spot and Genge, Polota-Nau, Kitchener, O’Connor, Ford, Toomua could all have a case to make our 23.
Sponsored Links

GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Just trying to work out what their first choice team likely is, everyone being fit/available?

1) Genge 2) Polota-Nau 3) Cole 4) Will Spencer 5) Kitchener 6) Kalamafoni 7) Brendan O’Connor 8) David Denton.
9) Ben Youngs 10) George Ford 11) Veainu 12) Toomua 13) Tuilagi 14) Thompstone 15) Tait

We can’t underestimate a side that can put a team like that out.

I guess we have to ask the question which of the above team would we select in our first 15? Putting away my rose coloured specs i would still only identify Genge, Cole, Denton, Ford & Veainu as players who would make our 23 with only Denton & Veainu possible starters.
Have to disagree here- Cole, Denton, Ben Youngs (on his day), Veainu, Tuilagi would all push for a starting spot and Genge, Polota-Nau, Kitchener, O’Connor, Ford, Toomua could all have a case to make our 23.

I had Veainu & Denton pushing to start - Genge is not the player that Rob is and he would be pushed to get in ahead of Wyn. Cole was on my bench; Tuilagi would not get in ahead of Foxy surely? Youngs would be behind both Cawdor and Hidalgo-Clyne in my book. Ford & Toomua would be bench at most. Not impressed by O'Connor frankly & don't know a lot about Polota-Nau but he would have to be good to get in ahead of Ken or Ryan and Kitchener is behind Ball & would be a toss up with Cummins, Bulbring or Rawlins. 

In all honesty with everyone fit I could pick two sets of 4-8 from our squad which would be as good/better than their first choice. 
turkishrebel View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turkishrebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 12:37pm
They are a quality team full of very good players. So have we. Will be very very tough to beat them, but on our day we are certainly capable.
Once a Scarlet, always a Scarlet!
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 12:48pm
Man for man it looks as if we have a clear advantage, but from my limited experience of English midlands' sides they  tend to opt for a forward oriented team game, where denying possession to the opposition, is more important than individual brilliance. It is therefore not always instructive to make man for man comparisons, and besides we will have a fair number of newcomers to knit into the "Scarlet Way" so it will probably be closer than many of us think.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2018 at 2:16pm
Not sure how anyone would pick Dan Cole to start in a combined team (very good scrummager but a bit of a liability for most of the other 75 minutes).

one of the beautiful things about rugby though is that it is such a team game and so man for man comparisons offen not particularly useful. Tigers will play like their lives depend on it and will be inspired by the Welford Road crowd as usual. Very tricky team to have in your group - but I'm confident all he sams
Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 12:30am
Well they beat Cardiff today.......
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 9:01am
Yep but neither side near fill strength and warm up so ..... I mean Bristol were unlucky not to beat us last season in pre season
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Rich (Bris) Rich (Bris) wrote:

Not sure how anyone would pick Dan Cole to start in a combined team (very good scrummager but a bit of a liability for most of the other 75 minutes).

one of the beautiful things about rugby though is that it is such a team game and so man for man comparisons offen not particularly useful. Tigers will play like their lives depend on it and will be inspired by the Welford Road crowd as usual. Very tricky team to have in your group - but I'm confident all he sams
Really? Twice Lions tourist and over 80 international appearances? I like Samson as much as the next guy but we need to be a bit more realistic.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 7:17pm
I'd much rather have Samson and if there was a Lion's tour in 2019 I'd expect him to be picked above Cole. All IMO of course. But other than his scrummaging I've never been impressed with Dan Cole and he is one of those players who can't seem to stop himself giving away old skool penalties.
Mogwen View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mogwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2018 at 8:08pm
Dan Cole is a good prop. Nothing else. He has made that spot his own in the English team because there’s no other quality TH pushing him. And as he is English he has been bragged up wey more than his actual value.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic