Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Well how switched on are Ospreys? Looks as if a coaching ticket has just been put on a plate for them - Dai Young with Howley assisting & Clive Griffiths for defence. 

Posts like this will have you tried for treason on here or worse still be accused of being hacked by Miaow.
Sponsored Links

Gate12 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gate12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 12:32pm
Might not be connected to rugby mind.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Well how switched on are Ospreys? Looks as if a coaching ticket has just been put on a plate for them - Dai Young with Howley assisting & Clive Griffiths for defence. 

Posts like this will have you tried for treason on here or worse still be accused of being hacked by Miaow.

LOL Ffidel - I truly forgot myself there.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by NobbySosban NobbySosban wrote:

WASPS

Big breaking news from Coventry...

Originally posted by Wasps Wasps wrote:

Director of Rugby Dai Young will be stepping back from first-team duties for an interim period. Lee Blackett will step up to Interim Head Coach. Further announcements will be made in due course.

Their results haven't been great for a while - only 13 wins in their last 46 games. Several star players have left - did the results dip because of that, or did those guys lose faith in the coaches? Who knows?

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 9:55am
What does everyone make of the current saga surrounding Moriarty & Hill with the negotiations over new contracts. Appears that the Board are taking a tough stance on salary levels. Of course Moriarty's private deal done a couple of years ago was done at a pretty inflated price so he is due a reality check. Can see Moriarty jumping ship and going to England or France - he will be back by the time the next World Cup comes around. 

Did cross my mind what rules we have in place to stop one of the chosen 38 being offered private inducements as a top up a la Saracens.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 10:13am

What does everyone make of the current saga surrounding Moriarty & Hill with the negotiations over new contracts. Appears that the Board are taking a tough stance on salary levels. Of course Moriarty's private deal done a couple of years ago was done at a pretty inflated price so he is due a reality check. Can see Moriarty jumping ship and going to England or France - he will be back by the time the next World Cup comes around. 

Did cross my mind what rules we have in place to stop one of the chosen 38 being offered private inducements as a top up a la Saracens.
There's strict rules to stop that happening.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

Might not be connected to rugby mind.

Eating all the pies perhaps as that soccer chant goes ! 😂 After 9 years coaching it must be a good idea to look to job change and freshen up. Having Dai and Howley in Ospreys would be a pretty experienced team tbh .
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 10:16am
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

[QUOTE=GPR - Rochester]What does everyone make of the current saga surrounding Moriarty & Hill with the negotiations over new contracts. Appears that the Board are taking a tough stance on salary levels. Of course Moriarty's private deal done a couple of years ago was done at a pretty inflated price so he is due a reality check. Can see Moriarty jumping ship and going to England or France - he will be back by the time the next World Cup comes around. 

There's strict rules to stop that happening.[/QUO

Thanks Steff - thats good news. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 10:28am
What concerns me is that an agreement has already been made with Liam Williams, at more or less the top of the range, approx £400, I believe.
I would certainly have thought that Tipuric would have been at the same level, not sure about Hill & Moriarty who I would guess would be less.

On top of this salary there is the Welsh team "salary" which could be in the region of £100k

I am waiting for some anti Scarlet supporters saying that there is one rule for the Scarlets, and another for the rest of them.

Am I being paranoid about this?
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

What concerns me is that an agreement has already been made with Liam Williams, at more or less the top of the range, approx £400, I believe.
I would certainly have thought that Tipuric would have been at the same level, not sure about Hill & Moriarty who I would guess would be less.

On top of this salary there is the Welsh team "salary" which could be in the region of £100k

I am waiting for some anti Scarlet supporters saying that there is one rule for the Scarlets, and another for the rest of them.

Liam is a multi cap Lion who i guess commands Foxy type remuneration. Moriarty is not. Reported offer of £280k mean his inflated initial deal to join Dragons is looking what we all thought - way over value. Tips should also be close to Liam but probably not quite. Hill will be below £250K as that is where the band starts for Lions etc as far as I am aware. So on that basis Liam is not being made a special case - only AWJ is worthy of that. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 11:04am
I agree with you GPR, but it still doesn't stop me being paranoid.

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 1:13pm

You're right about Tipuric, and he's won an upgrade to his contract offer:

Neither Hill nor Moriarty are in the same category... not sure what their offers are, but surely must be less than whatever Tips is worth.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 2:42pm

Liam is a multi cap Lion who i guess commands Foxy type remuneration. Moriarty is not. Reported offer of £280k mean his inflated initial deal to join Dragons is looking what we all thought - way over value. Tips should also be close to Liam but probably not quite. Hill will be below £250K as that is where the band starts for Lions etc as far as I am aware. So on that basis Liam is not being made a special case - only AWJ is worthy of that. 

the issue I have is this if the wru think say hill is worth £200k and are willing to pay 80% of that, the dragons have to pay the rest. If the dragons think he is worth £250k and are willing to pay the extra £50k top up themselves who are the wru to stop that happening?

they are artificially capping the wages a player can earn and imo that is not right or fair
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:36pm
RR1972 I believe the following was an issue,

The issue regarding Scott a few years ago, when Scarlets were about to sign him and the Ospreys increased their offer, which the Scarlets matched or bettered it.
The WRU were spitting feathers, and did not want this to happen again, i.e regions bidding against regions. Therefore the panel set the relevant wage and that is it.

This is why an amount is agreed and all regions adhere to it.  The regions are unhappy because it is allegedly low, which increases the options of the player to go to England.

We must always remember the cost of living in South Wales is less that most areas of England, and rugby clubs are based mostly in the affluent areas.
RR1972 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RR1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2020 at 3:44pm

RR1972 I believe the following was an issue,

The issue regarding Scott a few years ago, when Scarlets were about to sign him and the Ospreys increased their offer, which the Scarlets matched or bettered it.
The WRU were spitting feathers, and did not want this to happen again, i.e regions bidding against regions. Therefore the panel set the relevant wage and that is it.

This is why an amount is agreed and all regions adhere to it.  The regions are unhappy because it is allegedly low, which increases the options of the player to go to England.

We must always remember the cost of living in South Wales is less that most areas of England, and rugby clubs are based mostly in the affluent areas.

I'd like to know whose on the panel and what their expertise with regards to rugby and the value of a player is.

Granted pivac input is fine but the others don't instill me with me with much confidence tbh
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2020 at 7:08pm
Congratulations to the Ospreys, they have just beaten Ulster at the Liberty, although they nearly blew it twice in the last 10 minutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 445>
  Share Topic