Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by ladram ladram wrote:

Originally posted by ChrisX ChrisX wrote:

re Brock James...Where are Sean Holley and co now then with their Welsh Roles for Welsh Coaches....
we are in no position to say anything as we've just got rid of a welsh coach for another kiwi,i remember finlay calder being interviewed on radio wales after graham henry got the 2001 lions job and he said" i don't understand why we think in this country that anyone who speaks like they're in neighbours or home and away are better than what we have at home"

Agree with Finlay but we didn't swap Ioan for a kiwi. His job is being done by Richard Kelly another Welshman. I have absolutely nothing against Ioan and I wish him well for his future but our forwards haven't played like a pack for years. Our lineout has been one of the worst in the pro 14. 
Sponsored Links

Mr Ian View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

re Brock James...Where are Sean Holley and co now then with their Welsh Roles for Welsh Coaches....
we are in no position to say anything as we've just got rid of a welsh coach for another kiwi,i remember finlay calder being interviewed on radio wales after graham henry got the 2001 lions job and he said" i don't understand why we think in this country that anyone who speaks like they're in neighbours or home and away are better than what we have at home"

Agree with Finlay but we didn't swap Ioan for a kiwi. His job is being done by Richard Kelly another Welshman. I have absolutely nothing against Ioan and I wish him well for his future but our forwards haven't played like a pack for years. Our lineout has been one of the worst in the pro 14. 
In the year of our pro14 title, our set pieces were very good, specially line out 
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Mr Ian Mr Ian wrote:

In the year of our pro14 title, our set pieces were very good, specially line out 

Yes Mr Ian that is correct. I think the individual brilliance of Shingler & Beirne hid many deficiencies which came back to haunt us particularly season 18/19 when our lineout problems cost us qualification for the Champions Cup. The past few seasons we don't seem to have a pack playing as a unit - Exeter style. The Edinburgh at home fixture this season springs to mind. 
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 1:26pm

No we got rid of a Welsh coach and replaced him with another Welsh coach. Franks would have been appointed even if Ioan was retained. And let’s not beat around the bush here the level of coaching in the Southern Hemisphere is on the whole superior to what we have over here. The development of coaches in Wales was neglected for years and only recently have they tried to put it right.
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 1:56pm
It will be interesting to see when the new ownership of Ospreys make signings with substance to match the well-known names or headlines.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Not really rivals but it was heart warming to see that Ioan Cunningham has been appointed director of elite rugby at Llandovery College. His brief will be to oversee the development of an education/rugby experience to rival those offered in England & continue coaching the stars of tomorrow. 

A hugely important role within the development of young local talent & in attracting talent to the area. 

I'm very surprised he didn;t end up at the ospreys, they have no forward coach there now

He's an ex bridgend player and I think coached there, seems an obvious call tbh
Carl Hogg is our forwards coach 
wetweatherwinger View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetweatherwinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 2:40pm

Brock James is totally inexperienced so we have to ask the question - why him and not a similarly qualified Welsh coach or dare I say it someone with a little more experience. He may well be successful but it should be questioned. Apparently they interviewed 10 and he was the standout candidate  - begs the question of the calibre of the other 9 in my mind. 
He had coaching roles in Bordeaux and Stade Rochelais. 
Great appointment. 
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by wetweatherwinger wetweatherwinger wrote:

Brock James is totally inexperienced so we have to ask the question - why him and not a similarly qualified Welsh coach or dare I say it someone with a little more experience. He may well be successful but it should be questioned. Apparently they interviewed 10 and he was the standout candidate  - begs the question of the calibre of the other 9 in my mind. 
He had coaching roles in Bordeaux and Stade Rochelais. 
Great appointment. 
Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by wetweatherwinger wetweatherwinger wrote:

Originally posted by RR1972 RR1972 wrote:

Not really rivals but it was heart warming to see that Ioan Cunningham has been appointed director of elite rugby at Llandovery College. His brief will be to oversee the development of an education/rugby experience to rival those offered in England & continue coaching the stars of tomorrow. 

A hugely important role within the development of young local talent & in attracting talent to the area. 

I'm very surprised he didn;t end up at the ospreys, they have no forward coach there now

He's an ex bridgend player and I think coached there, seems an obvious call tbh
Carl Hogg is our forwards coach 
No he isn’t 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
McQ View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 5:33pm
Errrr........yes, he is.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by McQ McQ wrote:

Errrr........yes, he is.
Err no he isn’t. Not anymore. You’ll find out soon enough 
McQ View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Errrr........yes, he is.
Ok. If that's the case I'll be surprised, but who knows, there's a lot changing there at the moment.

There has been a Filo Tiatia for defence coach rumour, but I haven't given it much stock.
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2020 at 7:50pm

Errrr........yes, he is.
Ok. If that's the case I'll be surprised, but who knows, there's a lot changing there at the moment.

There has been a Filo Tiatia for defence coach rumour, but I haven't given it much stock.
Best of luck. You’ve had to put up with a lot of bad news and bad management, over the last year.

Hope it improves and many thanks for tuning in to our roller coaster.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 8:05am
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

Errrr........yes, he is.

Best of luck. You’ve had to put up with a lot of bad news and bad management, over the last year.

Hope it improves and many thanks for tuning in to our roller coaster.

Good point EO. They may be our rivals but events of the past 12/18 months have not been good for Welsh/regional rugby. They now have a real rugby man at the helm who will slowly get the set up right. 
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2020 at 1:04pm
I wondered how long it would take for the current financial squeeze to show through in terms of competition for players. It is being strongly reported that proD2 French club Beziers are starting to offer some very strong incentives to sign players being financed by a Middle Eastern takeover. 

Big bucks French clubs along with Japanese corporate financed teams will start to turn heads with offers of contracts Britain & Ireland will find very hard to compete with as most are looking to reduce their outgoings substantially. Worrying times ahead in more ways than one. 
surfing-mtber View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfing-mtber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2020 at 10:52am
6' 8" lock from Connacht, Welsh qualified.
Joshua24:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 118119120121122 445>
  Share Topic