Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

I've always been puzzled at the level of ridicule, and sometimes vitriol, that's aimed at Nigel Owens.

He's one of a very small/elite group of Welsh citizens who has reached the very top of their profession.

The recurring narrative is actually to forensically monitor his performance to find errors.
Not much of a life that tbh. He is not immune to making mistakes.

Too true Wil. I remember being introduced to  a very young Nigel when he was a warm up act for Dafydd Iwan, way back in the 80's probably, at a gig near Porthyrhyd. Little did I know then that he would become a very famous Welshman in the sport I loved. 

What cannot be argued is that he has reached the pinnacle of his chosen profession. He has also done this while never forgetting his roots in his beloved West Wales while battling personal demons which have finished many people's careers before they started. Hats off to him I say.
Sponsored Links

sospanman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sospanman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 9:46am

I've always been puzzled at the level of ridicule, and sometimes vitriol, that's aimed at Nigel Owens.

He's one of a very small/elite group of Welsh citizens who has reached the very top of their profession.

The recurring narrative is actually to forensically monitor his performance to find errors.

Maybe because a disproportionate number of those mistakes have been made to our disadvantage when playing our rivals. 
I have seen him ref neutral (to us) games very well, but I think he has a tendency sometimes to make it about himself. 
All in all, a well done to him on reaching the top in his field.
Ymlaen Llanelli Scarlets
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 9:55am

Forward pass scarlets v ospreys few years ago WinkLOL
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 9:59am
Ridicule and vitriol towards Nigel - where is that in the last few pages? If you look, there was a legitimate discussion on whether SHC's turnover was legal or not - BTW a law I did not know until now - and then SA14 said "some people love having a moan over Nigel Owens". Now, they have turned the conversation personal and onto Nigel the person, rather than his decision. 

I am a very objective person and when it happened I thought "that didn't look legal". Someone else posted the same and the response I thought was useful as I understand better now. If a mod's contribution on conversations on here is just to state it's all people who love moaning because they hate Nigel Owens then I'm done. 

Originally posted by SA14 SA14 wrote:

Originally posted by Jones2004 Jones2004 wrote:

Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Originally posted by reesytheexile reesytheexile wrote:

Nigel said today On SM that SHC was a legal challenge as they were on the try line and you can approach on the side in such circumstances- just saying 🤔
His foot was on/over the line though so still offside no?
It’s certainly a borderline decision so not a shocker either way. Personally believe that all Racing players go straight off feet so therefore is still a tackle nor a ruck and then SHC just about comes in from the back. However could easily understand how some would think that it is in from the side as it’s certainly a 50-50 decision.

It’s just some people just love having a moan over Nigel Owens. 

Edited by dr_martinov - 21 October 2020 at 10:06am
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 10:02am
Originally posted by dr_martinov dr_martinov wrote:

Ridicule and vitriol towards Nigel - where is that in the last few pages? If you look, there was a legitimate discussion on whether SHC's turnover was legal or not - BTW a law I did not know until now - and then SA14 said "some people love having a moan over Nigel Owens". Now, they have turned the conversation personal and onto Nigel the person, rather than his decision.

I mean, if this type of conversation cannot be had on here without a mod saying it's just people who love moaning because they hate Nigel Owens then I'm done. 

I think that may be referring to the tweets he got on the weekend following the match & usually gets after other matches.
dr_martinov View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr_martinov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 10:10am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

I mean, if this type of conversation cannot be had on here without a mod saying it's just people who love moaning because they hate Nigel Owens then I'm done. 

I think that may be referring to the tweets he got on the weekend following the match & usually gets after other matches.

Ah, I see. I'm not on Twitter as it is disgusting. I am just posting here and reading what others post. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 10:19am

Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Ah, I see. I'm not on Twitter as it is disgusting. I am just posting here and reading what others post. 

Nor me, I am on very little Social Media for the same reason.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 10:24am
I am certainly not referring to any anti Nigel posts on here nor would I say is Wil. I don't think Nigel should referee the Scarlets as emotionally he is involved whether he feels it or not - same reason he doesn't ref Wales. 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 10:44am
For sure its a social media thing toward Nigel. Not Scarlet Fever.

We have a treasured memories of a gaff here and there though.Like the one Ladram mentioned above, which Nigel admitted he missed.
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2020 at 10:56am

For sure its a social media thing toward Nigel. Not Scarlet Fever.

We have a treasured memories of a gaff here and there though.Like the one Ladram mentioned above, which Nigel admitted he missed.
think it was dan marino who gave the pass.LOL
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 6:48pm
Got to admire the Ospreys fighting back v Glasgow in a very entertaining game of running rugby- unlike last night . I fancy them to go on and win now 
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 7:31pm
Ospreys, more from limited options rather than choice, putting in a few gifted youngsters, and they showed up really well against a Glasgow team that on paper should have won comfortably.

Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 7:33pm

Ospreys, more from limited options rather than choice, putting in a few gifted youngsters, and they showed up really well against a Glasgow team that on paper should have won comfortably.

How did Scott go?

Good for those gifted youngsters and the coaching team giving them the chance and the tools to play.
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 7:59pm
They also had huge experience and quality in key positions especially at fly half and the back five of the pack that provided cool heads and example to the kids.  Sadly we don't seem to have such experience to call on with so many players away.
Keep the faith
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

How did Scott go?

Good for those gifted youngsters and the coaching team giving them the chance and the tools to play.
I  didn’t see very much of him and he came off about half time. Few glimpses  of his abilities but he seemed rusty. Work in progress really and I hope he gets back there now he is at long last pain free. Oh and yes as WC says they had some very exciting young players on show with pace and enthusiasm so well done to their coaches tbh. 👍

Edited by reesytheexile - 24 October 2020 at 8:04pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2020 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by Eastern outpost Eastern outpost wrote:

How did Scott go?

I think he touched the ball once or twice...much as the result was a good one, the O's choose not to attack much other than phase 1 off a set piece. so the outside backs don't often get good ball.
Happy to see him play tbh.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 148149150151152 445>
  Share Topic