Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > GENERAL RUGBY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Other Side(s) - Rival Team News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 445>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2019 at 7:20am
The injuries to McGrath & Carter looked serious and fairly long term. They will also get a good battering next week from a very powerful Clermont team. However we are going to face a pretty tough examination ourselves. Fingers crossed. 
Sponsored Links

ap sior View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ap sior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2019 at 5:22pm
Pro14: League agrees £120m CVC investment deal in principle - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50453217
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by ap sior ap sior wrote:

Pro14: League agrees £120m CVC investment deal in principle - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50453217

Can’t see it as anything more than a loan really...
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Not something I am getting too excited by frankly. Unless CVC can work absolute wonders with the marketing side of things then that £120m will be clawed back over the next x years as their 27% stake bites back into future income. Also if they do manage to increase broadcast income guess who that will impact upon - yes us lot the paying public.
PE SA View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PE SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 11:09am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Not something I am getting too excited by frankly. Unless CVC can work absolute wonders with the marketing side of things then that £120m will be clawed back over the next x years as their 27% stake bites back into future income. Also if they do manage to increase broadcast income guess who that will impact upon - yes us lot the paying public.

they will know how to market. something rugby has been lacking in for years. they have recognised that and will now attempt a longterm plan to make a success of it.
Pro14 is huge for them, and pretty cheap seeing that they can now get cracking on a league that has Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Italian and massive South African market.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by PE SA PE SA wrote:

Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

they will know how to market. something rugby has been lacking in for years. they have recognised that and will now attempt a longterm plan to make a success of it.
Pro14 is huge for them, and pretty cheap seeing that they can now get cracking on a league that has Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Italian and massive South African market.

For sure but there are only 2 ways I see CVC gaining any material benefit from this proposal :-

1. Increasing substantially the income generated by the competition which is basically the broadcasting charges. 

2. Improving the overall value of the pro 14 from the current valuation of around  £450 million & actually realising that improvement by finding a buyer. 
TurkQuay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurkQuay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Originally posted by TurkQuay TurkQuay wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I know the Western Mail gets a lot of criticism but it's pretty good comedy value now and again, just read Mark Orders review of the season so far, Ospreys positive of keeping it under 60 in Dublin is a corker.
Takes it up another notch then saying the root of their problem was PRB and project reset for cutting their playing budget by a million.

Then says they've opted to continue to invest in youngsters, I'm sure guys like Hook, Bradley and Lydiate will be having a good giggle at that.
I think the Ospreys have a £6 Million playing budget, and I think the WRU contribute £5 Million to that, and the WRU pay all of Alun Wyn Jones contract ?. 

So much for getting rid of National Duel Contracts (at one time, didn't the Ospreys have more NDC's than the other three Regions combined ?).

Some people rave about Mark Orders (and I think he's won awards) but I think he's quite poor, and very biased towards the Ospreys. 
Heard they are looking at the idea of centrally contracting the top 30 players in wales and dividing them out as they see fit. Not sure how true this is but won’t help us out that’s for sure.

That was a goer but is now off the table thank god

Change of plan ? - 

@simonrug
A couple more takes from the WRU’s AGM. Based on what I heard, it does look as though we could well be heading to central contracts for the top 38 Welsh players, while the Union focus is firmly on retaining and repatriating Welsh talent.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 4:28pm

Originally posted by scarletnut scarletnut wrote:

Originally posted by Sosban bach Sosban bach wrote:

Originally posted by Gate12 Gate12 wrote:

I know the Western Mail gets a lot of criticism but it's pretty good comedy value now and again, just read Mark Orders review of the season so far, Ospreys positive of keeping it under 60 in Dublin is a corker.
Takes it up another notch then saying the root of their problem was PRB and project reset for cutting their playing budget by a million.

Then says they've opted to continue to invest in youngsters, I'm sure guys like Hook, Bradley and Lydiate will be having a good giggle at that.
I think the Ospreys have a £6 Million playing budget, and I think the WRU contribute £5 Million to that, and the WRU pay all of Alun Wyn Jones contract ?. 

So much for getting rid of National Duel Contracts (at one time, didn't the Ospreys have more NDC's than the other three Regions combined ?).

Some people rave about Mark Orders (and I think he's won awards) but I think he's quite poor, and very biased towards the Ospreys. 
Heard they are looking at the idea of centrally contracting the top 30 players in wales and dividing them out as they see fit. Not sure how true this is but won’t help us out that’s for sure.

That was a goer but is now off the table thank god

Change of plan ? - 

@simonrug
A couple more takes from the WRU’s AGM. Based on what I heard, it does look as though we could well be heading to central contracts for the top 38 Welsh players, while the Union focus is firmly on retaining and repatriating Welsh talent.
God knows it changes on a weekly basis 
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
tannerbankboy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tannerbankboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2019 at 7:56pm
Tomas Francis is to miss the start of the 6N at least, the shoulder injury in the France semi final needing surgery. Another one bites the dust from RWC!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50467088
ladram View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 6:24am
Originally posted by tannerbankboy tannerbankboy wrote:

Tomas Francis is to miss the start of the 6N at least, the shoulder injury in the France semi final needing surgery. Another one bites the dust from RWC!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50467088
didn't he go off with a shoulder injury in world cup?
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 8:04am
This is a bit worrying. Questions really need to be asked of the standard of medical care/advice available to Gatland. Gats is on record as saying that Francis' shoulder injury was not as bad as initially feared and that he would have been touch & go to play in the final if we had qualified.

Add that to Foxy's situation and we have some serious issues. 
Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 1:58pm
Also they didn't seem to think Patch's injury was serious and decided that he would only be examined in detail after flying him home. Now it's uncomfortable enough spending any sort of time in a long-haul flight, let alone if you've got an injury which is likely to stop you playing for 3-4 months. It could even have aggravated what was originally a minor injury. I think we should be told!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Also they didn't seem to think Patch's injury was serious and decided that he would only be examined in detail after flying him home. Now it's uncomfortable enough spending any sort of time in a long-haul flight, let alone if you've got an injury which is likely to stop you playing for 3-4 months. It could even have aggravated what was originally a minor injury. I think we should be told!

True & also Ffidel we have missed the classic - Cory Hill. He will only travel if we are confident that he can play the 2nd game - he's still not fit!!!! Compare & contrast with England who had Mako & Jack Nowell unfit when they left. Both recovered as promised. Something is not right with the Welsh set up. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 2:16pm
I do think you are being a little over critical, both comments on Patchell & Francis were reported before any medical checks were made,and also qualified to a certain degree. Exeter took three scans to know and confirm how bad Francis was.

Hill was a gamble, but apparently he aggravated the injury on a routine run or whatever. I feel he should not have been risked anycase and it was wrong to take him.

There has been huge criticism of Newall's inclusion in England, as apparently he was not 100% fit and only played around 30 minutes. The consensus of opinion was a prob should certainly have gone out instead of him if they knew how bad he was. 

The lessons learned is that no comments should be made prior to a full medical check up. 

The World Cup committee should also reassess the size of squads as this certainly attracted risk takers in all countries, 31 is too small. Players will also take risks as well.
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Dai38 Dai38 wrote:

I do think you are being a little over critical, both comments on Patchell & Francis were reported before any medical checks were made,and also qualified to a certain degree. Exeter took three scans to know and confirm how bad Francis was.

Hill was a gamble, but apparently he aggravated the injury on a routine run or whatever. I feel he should not have been risked anycase and it was wrong to take him.

There has been huge criticism of Newall's inclusion in England, as apparently he was not 100% fit and only played around 30 minutes. The consensus of opinion was a prob should certainly have gone out instead of him if they knew how bad he was. 

The lessons learned is that no comments should be made prior to a full medical check up. 

The World Cup committee should also reassess the size of squads as this certainly attracted risk takers in all countries, 31 is too small. Players will also take risks as well.

Gatland's statement about Francis was shortly after his team announcement for the All Blacks game so hardly before any medical checks made. 
Dai38 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dai38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2019 at 2:24pm
Maybe GPR, but I was told by a friend down West (England) that Exeter also believed that and only after shoulder not improving and 3 scans it was discovered how bad it was.

That is what I'm basing my comment on....strange to me as a non medical man!! 
Be careful when you pick up the stick.........IT MAY BE THE WRONG END!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6667686970 445>
  Share Topic