Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > SOCIAL > OTHER SPORTS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NFL 2018-19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NFL 2018-19
    Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:09pm
With the new season starting at the end of this week (finally) thought I’d make a thread for all NFL discussion through the year, as I know there’s a few other fans that post on here.
To start I was thinking maybe anyone who’s interested post the team they support and why?
Sponsored Links

SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:13pm
For me I support the New York Giants, after taking a trip there a month after they won the 2011 Super Bowl. Since then they’ve been my team, and despite a terrible year last year I’m excited for the season ahead.

I also have a soft spot for the Jacksonville Jaguars, as they have a good link with the UK and rumours persist the franchise might be moved here.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:21pm
Green Bay Packers - since (as I understand it) the club is owned by the fans, and not a single billionaire owner. Also, in Rogers they have a truly amazing quarterback. Plus - they seem to love their cheese, as do I.
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by SospanMawr SospanMawr wrote:

With the new season starting at the end of this week (finally) thought I’d make a thread for all NFL discussion through the year, as I know there’s a few other fans that post on here.
To start I was thinking maybe anyone who’s interested post the team they support and why?
Lifelong 49ers fan as early as I can remember watching sport from. Dad and I usually huddled round the secondary tv on a Sunday night watching it on 90's terrestrial Channel 4, and because we were quite a dominant force during the 80's, our games were often the live one covered.

Got to visit Candlestick Park as a 10 year old in 1994 for a game against LA Raiders, and visited Levi's Stadium in 2015 for pre-season against the Cowboys. Also got to meet Jerry Rice that trip, what a player.

Looking forward to this season, quietly optimistic for the first time in a long while.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:28pm
I'd like to say (again) how much I love the coverage on the BBC, with the incomparable Osi Umeniyora, ably supported by Mark Chapman and Jason Bell as slightly more 'straight' men. 

The preview show this week was well up to standard, with several laugh-out-loud moments!

(How the Beeb can employ the wooden Shearer et al. as pundits is beyond me - so, so dull by comparison... though TBF for once the Sunday night MOTD2 had a couple of jokes this week (Chapman again, with maybe a couple of guys who'd seen the NFL show).
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

Lifelong 49ers fan as early as I can remember watching sport from. Dad and I usually huddled round the secondary tv on a Sunday night watching it on 90's terrestrial Channel 4, and because we were quite a dominant force during the 80's, our games were often the live one covered.

Got to visit Candlestick Park as a 10 year old in 1994 for a game against LA Raiders, and visited Levi's Stadium in 2015 for pre-season against the Cowboys. Also got to meet Jerry Rice that trip, what a player.

Looking forward to this season, quietly optimistic for the first time in a long while.

Garoppolo certainly made a difference at the end of last season.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Green Bay Packers - since (as I understand it) the club is owned by the fans, and not a single billionaire owner. Also, in Rogers they have a truly amazing quarterback. Plus - they seem to love their cheese, as do I.
If you’re interested, Reggie Yates did a really interesting, one off BBC documentary where he headed to Green Bay and interviewed players and fans, called Reggie Yates:Touchdown USA.
It used to be on BBC iPlayer, I don’t know if it still is. One of the most interesting things is that when children are born, they’re taken to reigister for a Packers Season Ticket, in the hope they get one 20-30 years later! Demand far outstrips supply, it’s amazing really.
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by minded minded wrote:

I’ve watched Giants vs Rams in Wembley, but I’d love to see a game live in America!
Yes you seem to be turning a corner. Shanahan seems an impressive coach, and it’ll be exciting for an outsider like me to see how Jimmy G goes, so I can’t imagine how excited you must be!
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 2:43pm
Forgot to mention a Wembley visit for 49ers vs Jaguars a few years back.

Couldn't really compare atmosphere as the Wembley one was so one-sided, but I will say that the way they ham up the patriotism etc between breaks in play is exactly like seeing a game stateside.

I've also been to Metlife Statium fwiw but for a Springsteen gig, really nice stadium and was very accessible from Manhattan.
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 3:30pm
I salute the NFL supporters on here. You must be blessed with enormous patience from what I have seen - admittedly very small amount. The breaks in play seem very tedious to me with stats & commentary way over the top. What they would do if they were commentating on Foxy making one of his trademark breaks god only knows!!!!! Takes all sorts they say so enjoy your season. 
Eastern outpost View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eastern outpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 8:41pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

If you’re interested, Reggie Yates did a really interesting, one off BBC documentary where he headed to Green Bay and interviewed players and fans, called Reggie Yates:Touchdown USA.
It used to be on BBC iPlayer, I don’t know if it still is. One of the most interesting things is that when children are born, they’re taken to reigister for a Packers Season Ticket, in the hope they get one 20-30 years later! Demand far outstrips supply, it’s amazing really.

Recruit them young is maybe something that Scarlets could take up and have a presence in the maternity hospitals in the region.

A cute Cochyn toy to reel them in, maybe? Or a full on season ticket application
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 10:49am
Have followed the bears originally when NFL first came to channel 4 with Payton the fridge etc and Jim McMahon . Although I switched my allegiance to the saints a few years later. Very much the underdogs but with brees always have a chance. I fear for his retirement as not seen a ready made replacement yet
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 11:44am
Originally posted by Mundoscarlet Mundoscarlet wrote:

Have followed the bears originally when NFL first came to channel 4 with Payton the fridge etc and Jim McMahon . Although I switched my allegiance to the saints a few years later. Very much the underdogs but with brees always have a chance. I fear for his retirement as not seen a ready made replacement yet
I don’t know about underdogs any more, I think you’re in for a good season!
As a replacement, you seem to have taken a chance on Teddy Bridgewater who was a promising QB with the Vikings until serious injury derailed his career. You traded for him from the Jets.
salmidach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salmidach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 12:14pm
another 49ers fan and i'm not confident at all. Jimmy G whilst being what looks like a great QB isn't going to win us the SB on his own. the plus side though is that we finally get some live action on sky this season.
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance - Terry Pratchett
AstroScarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AstroScarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 1:41pm
Love the sport - going to all three Wembley games this year.

No real team, but looking forward to seeing how the Browns get on this year following a couple of dreadful seasons. 

Should be a fascinating season!
'Stand up at home if you're watching, that was one of the Heineken Cup great tries'
minded View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minded Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by salmidach salmidach wrote:

another 49ers fan and i'm not confident at all. Jimmy G whilst being what looks like a great QB isn't going to win us the SB on his own. the plus side though is that we finally get some live action on sky this season.
I wasn't suggesting i'm confident of us making it to the SB, but feel we'll make a good season of it. Wildcard slot would be progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic