Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets v Leinster..Match thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by KID A KID A wrote:

We punch way above our own weight in terms of population and crowds.

There were 11,882 at Belfast for Ulster vs Scarlets in round 1. The Population of Ulster is over 2 million.

We had 7,200 for Scarlets v Leintser - what is the equivalent population in that geographical catchment area? Less than 2 million i expect.
Yes, this is it precisely.  We punch well above our weight in terms of population. 
In a world where you can be anything – Be Kind.
Sponsored Links

Scarlet O'Hara View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scarlet O'Hara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 10:16am
Probably a fair few on hols it's cheaper when the kids are back in school (and a lot less kids there when you get to your destination too). Seen a fair few posts from people abroad but they wore their scarlets shirts in support of course.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Scarlet O'Hara Scarlet O'Hara wrote:

Probably a fair few on hols it's cheaper when the kids are back in school (and a lot less kids there when you get to your destination too). Seen a fair few posts from people abroad but they wore their scarlets shirts in support of course.

Yep , that is true and 7.35pm on a Saturday night is to me, not the best time to pull people in, but who knows-we all have excuses or reasons I guess for not attending. I agree though, that if we were ever in a traditional league with English clubs there would be a lot more travelling fans coming down here which would build the atmosphere and crowds/income if it was a regular season. Wont happen sadly. 
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 10:57am
This is the reason Ive said before we need to attract the people of llanelli in. Easily half of our fans are from outside and fair blwydi play to you all! But when people don't want to travel all those miles be it for whatever reason it's so much easier to get a crowd in that can simply walk there. Last year first game was just over 9k but we were against new opposition kings and it was an afternoon hot day which also helps.
supertaf View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 11:07am
Appreciate the KO time, time of year, KO time,  yadda yadda BUT this was Leinster. Surely if you cant get up for the big games, what chance? To be fair, it is one of the few 19:35 KOs this year with 17:15 being the favoured slot it seems so I would have thought people would have been able to flex around this as we did know weeks ago.
Scarlets - Suppliers of fine rugby since 1872
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 11:12am
Originally posted by supertaf supertaf wrote:

Appreciate the KO time, time of year, KO time,  yadda yadda BUT this was Leinster. Surely if you cant get up for the big games, what chance? To be fair, it is one of the few 19:35 KOs this year with 17:15 being the favoured slot it seems so I would have thought people would have been able to flex around this as we did know weeks ago.

Because at the end of August I, as a parent (single parent not that it makes a lot of difference), had to shell out £200 for my child's school uniform & school items. So fuel to & form Llanelli (from Pembs) plus ticket costs plus food drinks for kids were just too much at the time.

Btw I am not saying "poor me" in this post, I am trying to help you possibly understand why one demographic (is that the right word here) may not have attended.
Exkixu View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exkixu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 11:33am

On top of any other explanations, the corresponding fixture in Dublin in February had 14,900, population of Leinster 2,5 million. West Wales' is what, less than 400,000?
1 Xavier Rush   2 Rhys Priestland   3 David Lyons   Cardiff Blues - Scarlets, 26/09/09      

More carries than any of our forwards. Priestland Fan Club Proud Member
PearlJam View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
IT skilled man of detail

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PearlJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 11:33am

Absolutely, the best team in Europe. They didn't bring a tonne of fans admittedly, but our attendances for the first 5 games last season were:

9,108 (Southern Kings)
8,088 (Edinburgh)
7,693 (Connaght)
9,003 (Blues)
8,007 (Benetton)

Where the only team that brought a decent number of travelling fans were the Blues. It's a problem for us. The punching above our weight in terms of attendances is one thing, timing is another - claiming we'd have better attendances if we played Bath and Bristol etc. is not a tangible argument. Yeah, if we played the All Blacks too - that would be great, but that's not part of the argument either.

There is a clear issue in getting people to games. Llanelli is still a big catchment area and there is apathy about the team - even off the back of our two most successful seasons in a few decades. Attendances have plateaued and, taking for increases in season ticket sales, the walk-up crowd for Leinster was appalling. 

Age, time, TV, weather, % of our population etc. is part of the argument - but to say things are OK is untrue. We certainly shouldn't be happy with the way things are in terms of attendance, not by a long shot, and I have no doubt people on the Commercial side aren't.

If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose.
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 11:37am
I think the best way to fix this is for our younger fans to get out there and procreate like mad... some of us are past it, unfortunately!
“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Fscarlet Fscarlet wrote:

Because at the end of August I, as a parent (single parent not that it makes a lot of difference), had to shell out £200 for my child's school uniform & school items. So fuel to & form Llanelli (from Pembs) plus ticket costs plus food drinks for kids were just too much at the time.

Btw I am not saying "poor me" in this post, I am trying to help you possibly understand why one demographic (is that the right word here) may not have attended.

Fully understand that logic. The atmosphere in the ground was great last Saturday 7k or not. The club will continue to cherish any supporter regardless of whether they attend regularly or not. 
Fscarlet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 11:46am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Fully understand that logic. The atmosphere in the ground was great last Saturday 7k or not. The club will continue to cherish any supporter regardless of whether they attend regularly or not. 

Me & the kids will be there as much as we can, think we managed 6 games last season.

Have also booked for the Tigers away.
reesytheexile View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reesytheexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Yep Sam Warburton to be fair  said on TV that the atmosphere in the ground  was electric in the build up in the last what, 20 minutes leading to Cawdor's try
Sosban bach View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sosban bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 1:36pm
Where were all those Dublin boys and girls? Only turn up for home fixtures do they? Think there were 20 of them? And those were from Wexford, only away game they travel for is the aviva!lol

Edited by Sosban bach - 11 September 2018 at 1:45pm
NobbySosban View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NobbySosban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by PearlJam PearlJam wrote:

Absolutely, the best team in Europe. They didn't bring a tonne of fans admittedly, but our attendances for the first 5 games last season were:

9,108 (Southern Kings)
8,088 (Edinburgh)
7,693 (Connaght)
9,003 (Blues)
8,007 (Benetton)

Where the only team that brought a decent number of travelling fans were the Blues. It's a problem for us. The punching above our weight in terms of attendances is one thing, timing is another - claiming we'd have better attendances if we played Bath and Bristol etc. is not a tangible argument. Yeah, if we played the All Blacks too - that would be great, but that's not part of the argument either.

There is a clear issue in getting people to games. Llanelli is still a big catchment area and there is apathy about the team - even off the back of our two most successful seasons in a few decades. Attendances have plateaued and, taking for increases in season ticket sales, the walk-up crowd for Leinster was appalling. 

Age, time, TV, weather, % of our population etc. is part of the argument - but to say things are OK is untrue. We certainly shouldn't be happy with the way things are in terms of attendance, not by a long shot, and I have no doubt people on the Commercial side aren't.

Sustained success will bring in more supporters - last season created a bounce as people came out to see the Champions defend their title, and success in Europe added to the buzz. It's going to be harder to sustain in a second year, but keep winning (particularly with entertaining rugby) and more and more will be drawn in.

You have to factor in the socio-economic demographics of the nearby population, drive-times to Llanelli from the rural hinterland, kick-off times for families and active players, competition for precious leisure time, etc., but keep the wins coming and gradually it will grow.

The focus of the commercial teams, at Scarlets, PRW, PRO14 & EPR, is to maximise the greater marginal revenues available from TV rights and sponsorship. Ticket money and match-day revenue are, in reality, dwarfed by these income streams, but will add a bit of jam to the bara menyn.

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 6:52pm
500-1000 away supporters would help significantly. In the English premiership they can get boosted by 1k-5k away supporters as most of the stadiums are within a few hours drive of each other. Try fitting that cenario into the Pro14 and travelling supporters would have to fly to/from Ireland, Italy, Scotland and South Africa! It's simply not going to happen for a normal fixture as time and cost would be prohibitive to all but the wealthy.
Keep the faith
glenbower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote glenbower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2018 at 9:53pm
You will probably enjoy this analysis by Murray Kinsella:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic