Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Team for Connacht?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Team for Connacht?
    Posted: 16 September 2018 at 8:14am
I'd go with:-

15 Halfpenny
14 McNicholl
13 Fonotia
12 Parkes
11 Prydie
10 Patchell
9 SHC
8 Thomson
7 Davis
6 Kennedy
5 Bulbring
4 Ball
3 Lee
2 Elias
1 Jones

16 Ken
17 Price
18 Kruger
19 Cummins
20 Rawlins
21 Cawdor
22 O'Brien
23 Asquith

Assuming Patchell passes his HIA and Cubby isn't fit.

I've rotated Ken and Cummins to give Elias and Bulbring an opportunity.

I'd have Cassiem on the bench instead of Rawlins too if he was fit.

Edited by haydn_davies - 16 September 2018 at 8:16am
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
Sponsored Links

Speedy View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 9:51am
Still no Steph or Clayton?
GPR - Rochester View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPR - Rochester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I would certainly be playing Clayton in Galway, unless the forecast is dire. They play a pretty loose game which would suit his counter attacking abilities. Hopefully Rhys at 10 & Asquith & Foxy at 12/13. Steph Evans to return I think either Connacht or defo against Kings the following week.
haydn_davies View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haydn_davies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 10:32am
Originally posted by GPR - Rochester GPR - Rochester wrote:

Originally posted by Speedy Speedy wrote:

I would certainly be playing Clayton in Galway, unless the forecast is dire. They play a pretty loose game which would suit his counter attacking abilities. Hopefully Rhys at 10 & Asquith & Foxy at 12/13. Steph Evans to return I think either Connacht or defo against Kings the following week.

Forecast is dire, hence the team I selected - wet and very windy at the moment.

I'd look to bring both Clayton and Steff back in for the next round v Kings and possibly rest 1/2p and Prydie with Ospreys in mind.
Think, think, think - it's a thinking man's game!! - The Great Carwyn James.
ChrisX View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 1:37pm
If wet and windy as Galway often is then lets go Halfpenny at 15. He can then have Kings at home off with Clayton coming in.

Whats the news on Rhys Patchell? Fit? If so he can start 10. 

Jame Davies must be a major doubt? 

Keep Steffan Evans also for the Kings game at home.

15 Halfpenny
14 McNicholl
13 Fonotia
12 Parkes
11 Prydie
10 Patchell
9 SHC
8 Thomson
7 Dan Davis
6 Kennedy
5 Bulbring
4 Ball
3 Lee
2 Elias
1 Price

16 Ken
17 Jones
18 Kruger
19 Cummins
20 Cassiem 
21 Gareth
22 Asquith
23 Clayton

aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 2:28pm
The forecast is for wind and rain, which means that 1/2p MUST start at full back. His positioning and tackling are second to none - made an excellent tackle yesterday on one of their better players, which needed him to position himself really well. 

For the same reason, Parkes and Fonotia should start as well as Prydie. Probably, McNicholl should be involved, too - he's a tall guy who can take any cross-kicks... a bit off the pace yesterday, but let's hope his form and fitness are on an upward curve. Dan is not 100% so let's hope Patch can play - if not, maybe Asquith deserves a shot at 10, though it'd be a bit of a gamble. At 9, maybe give Hidalgo-Clyne a start, though he's been a mixture of good and bad so far... his kicking game might suit the conditions.

In the forwards, ken maybe needs a rest so Elias with Wyn J and Samson, Bulbring to start with either Jake or Cummins, and perhaps Rawlins in place of Kennedy alongside Blade and Davis. We're getting a bit short in the back row, so need to find ways to rotate the fit players.

“You cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.” (Jonathan Swift)
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 3:29pm
Forecast ok on my BBC weather ap.
scarletnut View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

The forecast is for wind and rain, which means that 1/2p MUST start at full back. His positioning and tackling are second to none - made an excellent tackle yesterday on one of their better players, which needed him to position himself really well. 

For the same reason, Parkes and Fonotia should start as well as Prydie. Probably, McNicholl should be involved, too - he's a tall guy who can take any cross-kicks... a bit off the pace yesterday, but let's hope his form and fitness are on an upward curve. Dan is not 100% so let's hope Patch can play - if not, maybe Asquith deserves a shot at 10, though it'd be a bit of a gamble. At 9, maybe give Hidalgo-Clyne a start, though he's been a mixture of good and bad so far... his kicking game might suit the conditions.

In the forwards, ken maybe needs a rest so Elias with Wyn J and Samson, Bulbring to start with either Jake or Cummins, and perhaps Rawlins in place of Kennedy alongside Blade and Davis. We're getting a bit short in the back row, so need to find ways to rotate the fit players.

Kennedy is a stronger carrier than Rawlins and played well yesterday so I’d stick with him
I still wake up late at night and think of what might have been when tim stimpson hit that jammy penalty1
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 4:59pm
Quite a few players are playing a lot of minutes at the moment and with a three game period of Ospreys, Racing and Leicester heading our way we need to be mindful of rest and rotation.

Whilst the Kings game at home is an opportunity to rest players we can't just throw a team together and risk missing a BP win. This is more likely to be a win than a difficult visit to Connacht so I would be tempted to give some players a rest next week.

Unfortunately we have limited options in the back row - I am wincing every time blade gets hit because at present he is our MVP.

For Connacht I would go:

Blometjes Prydie Fox Asquith Mcnicholl Patch SHC Blade Dan Kennedy Bullbring Cummins Kruger Elias Wyn

Reps Price Ken Samson Rawlings Ball Cawdor Obrien Parkes.

I'm then hoping we will see Cassiem, Boyd or Macleod available against the Kings (also hoping Cubby will be ok). Also hope Steff gets a run against them and give us some serious selction headaches in the O's game.

Edited by multinational - 16 September 2018 at 5:02pm
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 5:01pm
Mate, RFC would give the Kings a game.
multinational View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote multinational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 5:04pm
Albeit in SA, Ulster failed to get the BP against them today.....We can't afford to do the same.
History, despite its wrenching pain, cannot be unlived, but if faced with courage, need not be lived again.
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 5:04pm
Signs Kings looking a little stronger this season perhaps? Stopped Ulster getting a BP today. Probay too early to say but Cheetahs certainly seem weaker!

Edited by Rich (Bris) - 16 September 2018 at 5:04pm
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 5:53pm
Saw the game...Kings missed 31 tackles and conceded over 20 penalties..had about 30% territory and possession.

How Ulster didn’t get a bp and post 50+ points is beyond me.
Wasp View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wasp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Wil Chips Wil Chips wrote:

Saw the game...Kings missed 31 tackles and conceded over 20 penalties..had about 30% territory and possession.

How Ulster didn’t get a bp and post 50+ points is beyond me.

You may remember the same fixture last November was a 7 try corker which the Kings very nearly won

Edit
12 tries!

Edited by Wasp - 16 September 2018 at 8:36pm
We're still still here, but I wish we were in an Anglo-Welsh
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 8:39pm
Yep, remember it well. Cracker.

I was hoping to see more from the Kings, and particularly the Cheetahs, this term. Kings look about the same, Cheetahs have conceded an average 45 points s game fir the first 3 fixtures.
Not great.
Wil Chips View Drop Down
Rambler
Rambler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wil Chips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 8:46pm
Anyway, the Kings is a chance to rotate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic