Scarlet Fever Llanelli Rugby Sport Wales Tickets Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > RUGBY > SCARLETS GENERAL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scarlets team vs. Ospreys (h)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_RICHARDS_94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 3:56pm

My favourite fixture of the season... Ospreys at home!

Cannot wait for it.

I'm going for Scarlets by 10+ with Fonotia Man of the Match!
Writer for The Rugby Club
Sponsored Links

Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 3:58pm
I can see a lot of ball being kicked to us - luvvly jublee.
In a world where you can be anything โ€“ Be Kind.
Mundoscarlet View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mundoscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 4:01pm
Andy Bowell combined side in the fail 2nd row awj and beard๐Ÿ™„Of course awj but beard. Don't make me laugh ๐Ÿ˜‚
Rob o'r Bont View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob o'r Bont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 4:31pm
It's 4.30pm and the glaw is about to start here in the Bont, and not planned to stop until the morning.

Good news is that the met office web site is showing sunshine between 3pm and 6pm Saturday afternoon. Cool
In a world where you can be anything โ€“ Be Kind.
scarletsrules View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarletsrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

Originally posted by scarletsrules scarletsrules wrote:

This could be an outstanding game of rugby, 2 good sides, they are coming for our home record, but we will protect it with every ounce of blood sweat and tears the players can. Im just gutted I cant make it, stupid 3pm kick offs on the same day there is a full round of fixtures in the amateur leagues! I know we cant please everyone but surely this kick off time is the worst possible for us

For a codger like me, it's ideal - and the first game I'll make this season.

You have been gorging on late KOs recently so butt out!Wink

Cant we negotiate a 5pm kick off to suit us both?
aber-fan View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aber-fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 4:42pm

Originally posted by aber-fan aber-fan wrote:

This could be an outstanding game of rugby, 2 good sides, they are coming for our home record, but we will protect it with every ounce of blood sweat and tears the players can. Im just gutted I cant make it, stupid 3pm kick offs on the same day there is a full round of fixtures in the amateur leagues! I know we cant please everyone but surely this kick off time is the worst possible for us

For a codger like me, it's ideal - and the first game I'll make this season.

You have been gorging on late KOs recently so butt out!Wink

Cant we negotiate a 5pm kick off to suit us both?

I could do that time...Smile

It's up to the TV rights people, I suppose - Premier, this season. it's a long time since KO times were decided by what actual people prefer.
โ€œYou cannot reason a man out of what he never reasoned himself into.โ€ (Jonathan Swift)
SospanMawr View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SospanMawr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 4:55pm
Hope Scott Quinnell is on hand to give a rousing pre match team talk as he has in the past..
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by Rob o'r Bont Rob o'r Bont wrote:

It's 4.30pm and the glaw is about to start here in the Bont, and not planned to stop until the morning.

Good news is that the met office web site is showing sunshine between 3pm and 6pm Saturday afternoon. Cool

It starts tomorrow, bois bach. It really does. Ospreys, Racing 92 & Leicester.

Hope the old ticker is up to it.  Big smile
Llywarch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Llywarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 6:22pm

The way i see the game going there are a few key battles to be won. 

1 - scrum. For years we lost out heavily here and now we at long last have not one front row but 2 or 3 in each position who are, in my opinion better scrummagers than what the Ospreys have there. I expect Wyn Jones to really be aggressive as this is a brilliant chance for him over the coming weeks to show Rob what he can do. I've always felt that we've been a little too cautious with giving Wyn game time, he's a tremendous prop when it comes to the scrum and is excellent around the park. 

2 - defence. Always an issue playing the spreys, both our own defence and theirs. They have traditionally blitzed very well and will again look to slow our attacking play down as best they can. We seemed to go very direct at Leinster and I bet we'll do the same tomorrow to try and slow this down and tire the defence. Our own defence will need to be vigilant off their first phase ball, Patch can expect North down his channel but I'd be disappointed if this was not discussed and we had no plans to combat this. 

3 - Our attacking flair. We seemed to find the hwyl again for parts of last week's game. If we could do the same this week with a little more accuracy, we could really do some damage. Our plays off 9, where the centre passed back to 9 before patch then received the ball in the 13 channel was very effective and seemed quite low risk. 

4 - aggression/attitude/energy. Above all, these are the key components in beating any side. Get these right and not much will go awry. I would rather our team have erred morally with a few late hits etc (providing it isnt penalised too heavily!) than be passive and lack intensity. 

I'r gad fechgyn, ymlaen!!!!

greypower1 View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greypower1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 7:32pm
Ospreys starting 15 has 13 internationals, we have just 10. Ospreys must be favourites.๐Ÿ˜Ž
Keep the faith
M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by greypower1 greypower1 wrote:

Ospreys starting 15 has 13 internationals, we have just 10. Ospreys must be favourites.๐Ÿ˜Ž

Yes. We also have a couple of players who have never experienced the intensity of a game like this. It will be tough tomorrow.

Ffidel Bennett View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ffidel Bennett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

Yes. We also have a couple of players who have never experienced the intensity of a game like this. It will be tough tomorrow.

It will be tough, and I'm not quite as confident as I would have been if we had picked the same squad as against Southern Kings (but with Parkes and Samson starting). Parkes should help us keep a cool head and adjust our play to the conditions and opposition. 
It's a pity that there's no room for Dan or Gardiner, but that may be an indication of the strength of the current Scarlets Squad and I'm sure Pivac knows what he is doing. 

M.M. View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M.M. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Ffidel Bennett Ffidel Bennett wrote:

Originally posted by M.M. M.M. wrote:

ย 
ย 
It will be tough, and I'm not quite as confident as I would have been if we had picked the same squad as against Southern Kings (but with Parkes and Samson starting). Parkes should help us keep a cool head and adjust our play to the conditions and opposition.ย 
It's a pity that there's no room for Dan or Gardiner, but that may be an indication of the strength of the current Scarlets Squad and I'm sure Pivac knows what he is doing.ย 

With our full team out I think we'd win convingcingly but injuries have hit us. I'd say that they'd start as slight favourites.
Legendinmybathroom View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Legendinmybathroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 9:43pm
Even though they have more international players on their starting 15, I believe that we have a stronger starting 15 and definitely a stronger bench. McNicholl and Blade would be international players had they been born or automatically qualified for another country. Also, some of the players capped in the Ospreys squad have been quite fortunate to be capped at all (I donโ€™t mean that in a nasty way, just that some have been fortunate to prosper at some other players misfortune through injury etc.
Plus I think that having home advantage and the fact that we have played some really tough opponents already will mean that we have a slight physical edge over them.
TBH I will take a 1point victory tomorrow, keeping our proud home record intact, and carrying some momentum into Europe, where I expect Foxy to play a big part in our progression into the knockout stages again this season. I donโ€™t believe that we will start this seasons European campaign as slowly as last. Iโ€™m confident of good things ahead this season.
BigRed1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigRed1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 9:44pm
This game will be a cracker. We are faced with a very strong Ospreys team. The boys will have to front up. Let's hope Wales rugby will be the winner, besides Scarlets, of course.
BigRed
Rich (Bris) View Drop Down
Veteran
Veteran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich (Bris) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 9:50pm
Os, especially without Scott, struggle to put their chances away. That will be the difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic